Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

I think the issue at question in recent posts is the micro skipping issue, rather than the sonic qualities of Denafrips dac's. Obviously if your not experiencing micro skipping, then the sonic performance of the dac will standout and is to yours and many others liking.

However those with the micro skipping, will seriously struggle to experience the sonic possibilities. It is an issue of long standing, yet not resolved and Denafrips have yet to pick up the baton and explain to paying customers exactly what the problem is and how to resolve it. I share concerns regarding the authenticity of them selling their Pontus dac's ( is this the case with their other dac's) as NOS, when it appears that may not be the case. It potentially casts a shadow over the product and therefore, over the company.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    timind, Tony C. and RockAddict like this.
  2. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Balanced and fair.

moops and Leroyd like this.
  3. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Full refund and I paid the return shipping.

Leroyd likes this.
  4. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Forum Resident

I don’t understand why Alvin (the Distributor) is leading “the investigation” when the responsibility lies with the manufacturer?

5. Midcoast Man

Midcoast Man Well-Known Member

I received my Ares II a few days ago. I was skeptical about hearing a worthwhile difference compared to BlueSound Node internal DAC and Emotiva TA1 internal DAC(of the two, I preferred the BlueSound slightly). I left it powered up for several hours, wasn’t hearing a big difference, but had no skips from BlueSound or a Cambridge CXC using new Mogami coax cables. I would switch between TA1 internal DAC via optical from BlueSound and Ares II via analog in on TA1. Suddenly, hours in, I heard a huge difference listening to Massive Attack’s “Unfinished Symphony” from a Qobuz stream. The soundstage dramatically widened and the overall sound was fuller, richer, more immersive. It wasn’t subtle.

The next day I was synchronizing vinyl playback with QoBuz and switching between turntable and internal DAC and Ares II and the difference was very obvious on every track of the Doors album. I had my wife listen to the same material. It wasn’t subtle for her either, she found the Ares II listening difference amazing as well.

Now, most material sounds constrained and thin compared to Ares II output. My Martin Logan ESL’s are disappearing completely in the sound stage. I haven’t even tried switching sampling or filters yet. I need to spend more time with CXC playback, but am confident the BlueSound Node is skip free after many hours of listening over 4 days. I never thought a DAC could make such a difference.

timind, adamos, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  6. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

It will be interesting for you to share your experience of the performance of the CXC paired with the Aries, specifically if any issues of micro skipping materialise.

Midcoast Man likes this.
  7. FromMysticStreet

FromMysticStreet Forum Resident

Anyone using a Yamaha cd 303 (or other similarly cheap Yamaha CD player) have any issues with micro skips?

My oppo DVD player seems to have one every cd so I’m willing to try something new.

8. Midcoast Man

Continuing my listening of BlueSound Node and Cambridge CXC through Ares II. With BlueSound I can toggle between internal DAC of Emotiva TA-1 and analog in from Ares II. All BlueSound material is from Qobuz. I have yet to hear any micro skips from either source using Mogami coax cable. The Ares II often sounds similar to the Emotiva preamp internal DAC and then all of a sudden sounds so much wider and richer. I don’t understand why. But when it happens, it’s a huge difference in sound stage and fullness. Intriguing.

9. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Not a single issue here with a Node 2i > AQ Cinnamon coax > Terminator II

My local shop sent me home with an Aries Femto a few months ago. I had a couple of niggles with it connected to the DAC via USB and AES. I started to troubleshoot right as summer started, and it’s been sitting there untouched ever since. I just went back to the Node since it’s bulletproof in my system.

If I did have problems with the DAC, I would follow the same logic. Swap it out for something that works reliably in your system.

10. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

No problems here with the Auralic Aries Femto and Pontus II connect with a Audioquest Carbon USB cable or VanDamme AES/EBU...

11. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

while i dont have a yamaha cd player but I use a marantz cd6006 as transport via both coaxial or optical without any issues.

12. Midcoast Man

So, the most dramatic differences I’ve heard with the Ares II seem to be from Qobuz high resolution recordings via Bluesound Node. Here are three albums that exhibited amazing differences compared to the internal DAC in my Emotiva TA-1 preamp; Massive Attack “Blue Lines”, Doors “Doors”, “Morrison Hotel”, Beatles “Abbey Road”. In all cases the sound stage widens and everything sounds fuller and richer. Going back to the internal DAC or mono vinyl in the case of the Doors, is a big let down. Abbey Road sounds better than I’ve ever heard it. But many times, there isn’t much difference, especially with Redbook recordings.

Still no micro skipping with Cambridge CXC or Bluesound Node.

13. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Which Node?

14. Midcoast Man

Bluesound Node

15. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Node 2i or NODE?

16. Midcoast Man

Node N130. The newest version.

Dafox likes this.
  17. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Thinking of an Ares 2 to use with a new Bluesound Node. Should I avoid the Ares until the micro skipping issue is sorted?

18. Midcoast Man

It has been rock solid for me so far since mid- July. When this DAC does it’s thing, it’s crazy good. So much more soundstage width. Without, music sounds thin and wimpy.

adamos likes this.
  19. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Which connection are you
    using between the streamer and dac?
    Which version of the Node?
    Thanks

20. Midcoast Man

Coax out via Mogami cable to Ares II, simultaneously using to slink to Emotiva TA1 preamp for A-B listening. This is a Bluesound Node N130 bought in June.

Dafox likes this.
  21. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Don't expect this to be solved anytime soon. It occurs in a small segment of users and even using similarly matched components is no guarantee it won't occur. Just avoid if you are likely to be upset by this. Having said that, I have read many instances of users having this micro skip issue with DACs other than Denafrips.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Quite a few people, including myself before I upgraded to a Pontus II, are using an Ares II with a Node without problem.

RockAddict likes this.
  23. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

I think there's no way telling whether or not you get the skipping, which makes it a bit of a gamble. (My Node2i and Pontus2 play just fine)

RockAddict likes this.
  24. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Really? Many? Please provide some supporting links, as my experience has been very different.

GLUDFSSR and CrimsonFan like this.
  25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

My Vault 2i has been flawless with the three DACs it has been used with. Skipping is something I would be totally intolerant of. Total no start or fast sell for me.