Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

I wouldn't say i've seen many or a lot but i've seen people posting about it on bluesound's forum and also reddit - i was there looking for a solution after i started getting micro skipping/popping after i updated firmware on the node2i - now resolved via oddly turning on clock trim. Those folks were using different dacs (i.e. topping, schiit, etc.). Was the only time I had this issue and cd playing has always been fine. They really should have a solution or mitigation/offset for folks with the issue though. I got my pontus ii new around April 2021.

2. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Seen this issue on many audio forum threads. You can just go browse for them if you are keen to dive into it. Just consider that Bluesound, whose Node series is probably the best selling audiophile grade streamer in the market, had enough customer issues with skipping that they incorporated a "time trimming" setting on their devices. Obviously they were not only catering to Denafrips users which probably is not that many in the overall market.

3. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Is this with "Auto Clock trim" on in the Bluos settings?

4. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

i had mine off on my node2i until i upgraded firmware for it and it started skipping. turned it on and it fixed it. its pretty odd.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  5. twigfarm

twigfarm Active Member

Based on the fact that the "micro-skipping" problem seems to be isolated to a small, but maybe growing, number of units, then I'd have to imagine this is a parts problem which wouldn't surprise me. I'm hoping Alvin gets to the bottom of it as the Ares IS a very good sounding unit which I gladly would have kept if it didn't have the problem.

In the meantime I will upgrade my Bifrost 2 to 2/64 and relax for a while.

6. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

That sounds like a hardware fix, which further suggests that Denafrips is likely to need one as well.

7. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

I see the Pontus has increased by €100 on denafrips.eu

8. Midcoast Man

Midcoast Man Well-Known Member

Listening to Crosby, Stills & Nash/1969 on Qobuz 192Khz HR. The mix is actually different with Emotiva TA1 internal DAC vs Ares II. The Ares II puts some vocals in left and right speakers instead of center. Much wider soundstage, more separation, but when two or more singers harmonizing, puts them all in center. “Wooden Ships” is when I first noticed during A/B tests.

9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

10. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Funny how "Mikey" fails to identify a "better" alternative in the video itself.

In the comments, he says the DAC to beat the Pontus will be revealed within 30 days - another entry is clarified as "...when I find it...". Perhaps more interestingly, just a touch further down in response to a comment by "Kenneth Jensen" (one that appears to be of the lazy keyboard warrior type), Mikey indicates it will need to be a "great DAC" to beat the Pontus.

Many contributors to these forums aren't fans of Chi-Fi and, despite having 2 major Chi-Fi components in my own system (Pontus II and Willsenton R8 amp), I understand why. However, that doesn't in or of itself necessarily indicate the quality of Chi-Fi and, IMO, the upload is nothing more than a thinly veiled anti Chi-Fi rant, despite Mikey's denial. He has the right to state such an opinion but at least be honest about it.

Having mentioned quality, most who know about the innards of a valve/tube amp have said that the workmanship (and materials) of the R8 are to a high standard. On these very forums, there have been a couple of reported instances of issues but, to the best of my recollection, all easily resolved (myself included). As for the issue of enforceable warranties, my Pontus II was purchased from a UK supplier (with track record) and the associated 3-yr warranty would absolutely be enforceable under UK consumer law. Obviously, I'm hoping it won't be needed! :)

IMO, the vid is close to click-bait territory. If you have the best part of 41 minutes of your life you don't want back, watch it... :confused::D

PS: I have never worked in the world of hi-fi and my interest(s) are purely as an end user.

ubiknik likes this.
  11. Shuggie

Shuggie Forum Resident

He thinks the Pontus does not have any label showing it's made in China, and that Denafrips are hiding that fact, but I'm assuming he did not look at each layer of the packaging, nor underneath the DAC itself, where he would have seen a label stating 'Made in China' alongside the serial number label. I would prefer not to buy Chinese, but at least Denafrips are proudly and openly Chinese, unlike some 'European' manufacturers who prefer to hide the country of manufacture.

inzite and RockAddict like this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I stopped watching that clown after he called people retarded.

The Beave likes this.
  13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

He is hard to watch sometimes but he does offer an alternative viewpoint although there are a few things he should be more thorough with.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  14. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

just got new (to me) tanny ardens and wow things going thru the pontus ii is real nice!

RockAddict, Swann36 and adamos like this.
  15. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

16. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

What’s the purpose of the phase button? The only thing I can find is on page 35 of this thread.

Denafrips Dacs

According to that post, phase shouldn’t matter once music is playing.

I’ve had it on positive phase since I got the Pontus 2 two weeks ago. Just put it on negative. Maybe it sounds a little better? Probably just my brain making it up.

17. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Absolute phase - Wikipedia

18. Jason S

Jason S Well-Known Member

What’s the latest with the potential issues between these DACs and the Bluesound Node? I’ve got the newest Node, and I’m quite interested in the Pontus. Are people still experiencing issues?

19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

As I understand it the broader issue that impacts certain devices and users has yet to be resolved, but specific to Bluesound I’ve had no issues with my Node 2i and the Pontus II.

Tony C. and RockAddict like this.
  20. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

My setup also has the Node 2i / Pontus II combo and, so far, no sign of the problem experienced by others.

adamos likes this.
  21. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

no issues with my pontus ii and node2i.

adamos likes this.
  22. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Node (aka "Node 3," aka "Node 2021" aka "N130") + Pontus II here. Just received the Pontus last week. Node to Pontus via USB. After a bit of tweaking with the Node settings, and a few days of running, the sound is quite good. I'm upgrading from an Ares II.

adamos likes this.
  23. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

I also have a Node 2i with a Pontus II. Purchased my Pontus II in May of this year, so a recently manufactured model I'm assuming. Many many hours of play and zero issues with this combination. Certainly no micro-skipping here.

adamos likes this.
  24. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

This guy is racist and an idiot.

Zappix, bever70, Harris11235 and 3 others like this.
  25. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

I recently have a pontus II. No issues with the latest Node and the Audiolab 6000 CDT

What is your experience with balanced vs. RCA. in my system the balanced seems not better as the gain is much lower. I combine it with Gold Note Ls-1000?

Thanks in advance!