Dennis DeYoung - 26 East, Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

New album coming April 10, 2020. First single drops soon.

Dennis DeYoung, '26 East: Volume 1' Track Listing
    1. "East Of Midnight"
    2. "With All Due Respect"
    3. "A Kingdom Ablaze"
    4. "You My Love"
    5. "Run For The Roses"
    6. "Damn That Dream"
    7. "Unbroken"
    8. "The Promise Of This Land"
    9. "To The Good Old Days"
    10. "A.D. 2020"

[​IMG]

Former STYX frontman Dennis DeYoung will release his new album, "26 East: Volume 1", on April 10 via Frontiers Music Srl. The 10-song LP will feature the duet "To The Good Old Days" with Julian Lennon.

DeYoung originally announced that this would be his last album but he has since changed his mind.

"This was supposed to be my final album but there were so many songs written that Serafino Perugino, CEO of Frontiers, suggested dividing it into two albums rather than one," DeYoung explained. "So be it. This is Volume 1, which sounds pretentious to me, but the marketing folks wanted you to know there are going to be two of them, so hey kids, there are two of them; this is Volume 1."

It all started when Jim Peterik, a fellow Chicagoan and nearby neighbor, sent a song demo to Dennis.

"If not for Jim Peterik's encouragement, talent and prodding I would not have recorded this music," said DeYoung. "He once told me that the world needed my music; to which I replied, 'Have the world text me for verification.' We collaborated from the get-go, happily and seamlessly, and at this time, we have written nine songs together, of which five will be on Volume 1. Just two Chicago guys doing what they do best, making music and having a laugh."

The collaboration with Julian Lennon came about when DeYoung wrote a verse and chorus of a song with Lennon in mind. Lennon heard the demo and said he would be honored to participate. Lennon's vocals were recorded in October at Mission Sound in Brooklyn, New York.

DeYoung shared: "The moment we sang together in the studio, it felt magical. I wrote the song specifically for our two voices. I had never met Julian previously, but I have been an admirer since 'Valotte'."

The album title "26 East" represents the birthplace of STYX. 26 E 101st Place was the address where DeYoung grew up in Roseland, on the south side of Chicago. Across the street at 39 E 101st Place lived the Panozzo twins, Chuck and John, who would go on to form TRADE WINDS in 1962, which a decade later would become the core of STYX. The cover artwork of "26 East" features three locomotives, representing the three original members of STYX leaving the Chicago train yard dreaming of bigger and better things.

In support of the release of "26 East", DeYoung will tour heavily throughout 2020.

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this.

Really enjoyed Proof Of Heaven, which appeared on Jim Peterik's World stage record last year. I imagine that will end up on volume 2.

Most of Dennis' solo albums have had something to offer so, at the very least, I think this will be a decent listen. There's a decent chance though, that it'll be spectacular!

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

4. MikeInFla

Note from Dennis:

Hey kids

One week from today the single from my upcoming album “26 East” will be released. As you can see it’s the duet I wrote for Julian Lennon entitled “TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS”. That’s the A side and like the good old days there will be a B side as well called “EAST OF MIDNIGHT”.
    Both songs were inspired by you guys from things you’ve written here and stories you’ve told me when you’ve met me in person. Heart felt tales regarding the impact and influence my songs and the songs of Styx have had upon your lives. Incredible memories are recalled in great detail by all of you telling me who, what, where and when you were when you first heard a particular song or album. As it turns out we more connected than I ever understood.
    When we were writing these tunes, we were in a ring of fire of competition with all our contemporaries hoping we could stay one step ahead of them and be your favorite... not knowing of the lasting impact the music would have. It all seemed so immediate then without any real understanding of 2020.
    But since the oldest rock musicians at that time were in their 40’s how could we fathom our 70’s. We couldn’t.
    “To The Good Old Days” is kind of a farewell tune I wrote acknowledging the journey we have all been on these nearly 50 years with a tip of the hat to both the good and bad times. “Best of Times” should come to mind lyrically not musically. Musically it’s not a traditional Styx type song. Dare I say more Beatlesque. Wonder why? Well I first wrote a flat out Beatle song for this album describing how that band had changed and influenced my life.
    That’s when I got the idea of asking Jules to join me on it. I almost sent it to him then realized he should not sing a song like this. It was my story not his. So I turned around went to the piano thinking of he and I singing together and wrote the song. It’s absolutely wonderful and I know you’ll love it. The video is being made as I write up in Montreal and will be released the following week. Bring a hankie.

The other song “East of Midnight” is vintage Styx 1975 thru 1978, which for some of you is your sweet spot. All the pomp and glory of its time is captured musically in a story about growing up listening to the radio past midnight when you weren’t supposed to. When hearing that music suddenly swept you away to a whole new world. One you so desperately wanted to connect to. It was a collaboration between Jim Peterik, John Melnick and myself. Put it on turn it up and be transported to a time when all things seemed possible...AND your joints didn’t ache. (Did you say joints Dennis.)
    The first chord is so big it will blow your mind. Ok now I’m beginning to sound like a commercial from the 70’s. Somebody stop me. I hope you’ll listen and love both of them. If you do, download them and keep the music alive.

Cheers your old pal Dennis

[​IMG]

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ha ha, doubt there will be too many kids listening to this, but I will have a mild interest in it.

6. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I'm ready! Let's have it!

7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Sounds great!! Very Styx sounding

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

East of Midnight definitely very Styx sounding as well.

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Where you hearing? Connections? Or are they available somewhere already?

MikaelaArsenault and ShawnMcCann like this.
  10. MikeInFla

Sirius XM has been playing them since Friday. I don't have XM so I didn't get to hear them but I think the first single is being played on The Beatles channel

11. MikeInFla

Also the singles are supposed to be available via download Sunday but I haven't seen any preorder yet on Amazon or iTunes. I pre-ordered the vinyl and there wasn't even an option of digital files for some reason.

12. mrjinks

Where did you order the vinyl from? Amazon?

I'm hoping his label or his website might have signed copies - it seems to be "the thing" these days. He's playing Portland in two weeks (kind of a long drive for me, but I'm used to it for concerts), and I'm tempted. If coronavirus doesn't cancel the show, that is! I haven't seen Dennis in 20+ years, since what turned out to be the last full-length show by the semi-original band. They closed their '97 tour in Seattle and I believe only played together with Dennis once after in an abbreviated set [corrections welcome].

13. MikeInFla

Yes I pre-ordered from Amazon. 23.98 I think. I haven't seen anything on his website so I decided to order from Amazon.

The last time they played together was the CMN show in 99.

14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It was a show for a children's charity so they played that one show.

15. mrjinks

That’s right - but it wasn’t a full-length show, so I still get bragging rights for the last full show w/Dennis!
    :wiggle:

16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'll definitely need to try before buying this one. I loved the last Styx studio album which got back to their 70s sound. I'm afraid a Dennis DeYoung solo record would be full of Babes & Desert Moons.

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I have that show on VHS as it aired on one of the PBS channels.

18. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Very much looking forward to this.

19. mrjinks

It’s officially Sunday (EDT) - release day for these two new tracks. Appreciate anyone posting links for them...

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'll be happy either way.

For what it's worth, his track from last year's World Stage album sounds like a lost song from Pieces Of Eight.

21. MikeInFla

So today is the day? Nothing. Nothing from Frontiers Records, nothing from Dennis. I was hoping the 2 new singles would be available for purchase but I haven't seen them anywhere. In fact digital downloads for the album are not anywhere. Nothing on Amazon or iTunes. No videos at YouTube.

Still hoping to find them before the day's end but someone dropped the ball on promoting this.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

well the duet is a ballad but “East of Midnight” is more uptempo with a 70’s sounding synth. Will either chart height?.....no!

23. mrjinks

Ok, I just spent 90 seconds each with the first two tunes (iTunes AUS), and ...

I’m disappointed. I don’t know why, Dennis has been disappointing me for decades now (with a few exceptions), but I thought the way-better-than-expected “Mission” might inspire him. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Again, only the 90 second excerpts, and only once (so far), but here's my thoughts:

"Good Old Days" is *very* soft and I hear the twinkle of that gawdawful electric piano at one point. I'm surprised that it's a true duet, with Jules & Dennis singing together instead of the more-common alternating verses. I like both singers, but I was hoping this would be inspiring and it's just … timid.

"East of Midnight", according to Dennis sounds like "vintage Styx 1975-1978". I'd say the 90 seconds I heard sounds about as much like Styx as "Don't Wait for Heroes". Ok, maybe it's a bit better, but just a bit.

I really wanted him to go out with a bang, but this sounds more like a whimper to me.

24. mrjinks

Just realized the other songs are up in 90 second bites, too...
    "With All Due Respect" rocks with attitude and controversial language! :thumbsup:

BEST, IMO: "A Kingdom Ablaze" is another pretty good one. Slower, but mystical and musically intriguing (to me this sounds more like Equinox-era) - even a reference to sorcerers! If you liked Crossing the Rubicon, you'll like this.

"You My Love" - the dreaded Suzanne song. Typical love song from DDY, bombastic at times, but seems to be better than things like "Paradise" on first listen.

"Run for the Roses" - I thought this would be a rocker. Nope. Kind of inspirational schmaltz, instead.

"Damn That Dream" - more edge here, and some Styx-ian guitar sounds. Sounds like one of the better ones.

"Unbroken" - sounds like "Christian Rock" to me. Not my thing.

"The Promise of This Land" - more like a Broadway show finale - this one. Some very Stygian synths at the end of the sample though, with prominent electric guitar. Could be good.

"AD 2020" -
    "and so my friends, I'll say goodbye". Damn - even the brief sample (30 sec) almost brings a sentimental tear to the eye. Back when Dennis was at his prime.]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Did a 10 year old with Photoshop design the cover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.