Dennis DeYoung - 26 East, Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

2. mrjinks

NOTE: this sounds wayyy better as a full track than the 90 second iTunes excerpt I referenced above.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  3. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

I love Julian’s voice so that single is an auto buy from me. But on first listen I can’t say I’m crazy about the tune

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

@mrjinks thanks for posting! I got tired of waiting so I went to bed knowing someone would post. The preorders are now up for digital files on Amazon and iTunes, but not google play (I have never ordered music from there anyway). I have it preordered on vinyl and was going to buy the digital tunes as well but after hearing these I think I will pass on a double-buy. I'l wait for the LP to arrive.

Gotta say I am a bit disappointed, I thought for sure The Mission would've lit a fire under his a$$ but from the sound of it, I doubt he has even heard The Mission. East Of Midnight is decent enough but it does not sound like anything 75-78, maybe more like an outtake from Cornerstone or Paradise. NO WAY does it remind me of Born For Adventure or Queen Of Spades. That is what I was looking for. As you stated it's closer to Don't Wait For Heroes than anything else. BTW, Heroes was intended for the next Styx album after Caught In The Act. Dennis decided to use it for his first solo album.

To The Good Old Days is OK as well, not a bad tune but not great. I guess I was expecting more of a Beatles vibe? And more Julian for some reason?
    The audio samples are up on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/26-East-Vol-...&qid=1583745164&sprefix=dennis,aps,205&sr=8-1

I am sure this will grow on me but I gotta say this isn't what I was hoping for. Let me give an example: I love Edge Of The Century. But when it came out in 1990 it isn't what I was looking for. In 1990 I wanted The Mission! I wanted something with a full-on classic sound. I guess I have outgrown Dennis and his theatrics. Hate to say it because he was always my favorite member of Styx and I love his first solo album. But I'll buy this and Vol 2 and continue to support him and if he comes this way I'll make plans to go (he owes us a show! I had front row tickets and the show was cancelled when Hurricane Michael blew down the venue).

With All Due Respect sounds interesting as does Damn That Dream. But I can do without any ballads. A.D. 2020 was exactly what I thought it would be. Probably should've saved that one for Vol 2.

MikaelaArsenault and mrjinks like this.
  5. mrjinks

Apropos of nothing, I listened to Styx II just now - what a terrific LP! The variety/production/musicianship are all first-rate. I can’t believe that album didn’t explode for them in 1973.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  6. MikeInFla

So I did some digging around and it turns out East Of Midnight isn't a new song. It's a Jim Peterik song that was pitched to Kansas in 1983. Peterik also has a version of the song recorded from long ago and the original title is "Late Night Radio".

In a way it makes me a bit disappointed that Dennis can't seem to write anything that sounds classic. It's as if he is stuck in ballad or Broadway mode and can't get out. Nothing wrong with the song at all, I think it's great but just a bit of a letdown I guess that it's a rehashed early 80's tune. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is still making music

Newbury Comics will be selling 200 autographed copies but I don't see it listed yet on their website.

@mrjinks agree on Styx II. Due to lack of promotion from Wooden Nickel. They only spent $163 to promote it! And most of that was in postage when they sent the LP to radio stations. I really like John's drumming on Earl Of Roseland. Good harmonies on that song too.

MikaelaArsenault and carlwm like this.
  7. MikeInFla

Here is the original version. Obviously Dennis wrote some stuff for it and added the keyboard stuff at the beginning. I like DDY's version much better.

8. mrjinks

Wow. Good sleuthing. Maybe DDY is like Billy Joel and just ran out of original ideas (?). Now he needs an existing framework of a song to hang his thoughts/ideas on...

9. SuiteMadameBlue

SuiteMadameBlue Rockin' The Paradise

I hope you go see him in Portland. He puts on a great show!! My favorite song in concert by him is Suite Madame Blue :)

MikaelaArsenault, carlwm and mrjinks like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I saw DDY last year when he and his band were playing all of The Grand Illusion. He stills sounds very good live, and it was a blast seeing him do all of that classic record, as well as other Styx classics.

I will have to check out these new songs.

11. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I don't think the 10 year old had photoshop

MikaelaArsenault and altaeria like this.
  12. mrjinks

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised, but Coronavirus killed off my Portland concert for Friday the 20th.

It was on the calendar last night; it's cancelled today. :(

I hope I'll get one more chance to see him someday. I have seen Styx w/Dennis in 1980 (my first-ever concert), 1983, 1991 and 1997. Plus lots of shows with the new lineup (they come here every year or two, while Dennis has only been here once, and that was on the other side of the state, OPENING for Boston - so I passed on that).

13. MikeInFla

I had front row seats to a DDY show in Nov of 2019. Hurricane Michael wiped out the venue so it was cancelled and never rescheduled. Was looking forward not only to seeing Dennis but Night Ranger was the opening band.

14. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I listened to the first 2 tracks the other day. The A side was disappointing, sounding very schlocky to my ears. I did like East Of Midnight but now disappointed it's from an old song.

15. mrjinks

Newbury has these available now. Sadly, they're autographed "postcards" available with the CD. I was hoping they'd have the actual items signed (and preferably on LP!), but I guess it's better than nothing!

16. mrjinks

17. MikeInFla

Mitch LaFon has a great new interview with Dennis on his podcast. To me, the most interesting thing -- Dennis has spoken to Chuck!!!

Check out his podcast or listen here:

18. mrjinks

Album pushed back to May 22nd now.

19. MikeInFla

Not surprised with the world situation. At this point I'd opt for digital downloads if I could get it in April.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

To the Good Old Days is decent enough. There's a sticky melody, and Julian sounds good with him.

The issue with Dennis' songs has always been the choruses. The minor key verses are often pretty good, but then the chorus comes along and it's hammer headed, major key, and obvious. When he's on, the chorus is good, too. But the choruses are always the weak link in Dennis' lesser songs. I'd say Good Old Days has a B+ quality chorus. But it's a sweet melody and I do like it on first listen. He also sounds very good for his age.

21. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I really like his discography. However, unless it really rocks I will not purchase it.

No more ballads.

22. MikeInFla

With the world situation the way it is right now this album has been on a backburner for me but I did find a few good recent podcast interviews with Dennis. If you have a podcast app look up Mitch Lafon and Eddie Trunk. I know a lot of people don't care for Eddie but it is a pretty good interview.

23. mrjinks

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, that was fun and unexpected: You rarely see artists ranking their own albums. Not too many surprises, and he graciously leaves the post-Dennis albums out of the list (though he says they wouldn't have made the top 10).

25. mrjinks

“Styx” > “The Serpent is Rising”
    “Styx II” > most of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.