Dennis DeYoung wants to be back in STYX for final tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

The Mission is a great album that shows that the band has moved on. Gowan is doing fine. No need to go back to that.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Maybe they can compromise and have DeYoung come out onstage to play Babe and Lady and then going away.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

not until Eagles, and Guns & Roses reunite....

Hell must Frozen over at some point!

4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

They could use him as an equipment manager.

Alert, ggergm and Blue Cactus like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Presumably at this point if they could come to terms it would only be for a tour, not for recording. In which case, this would be a simple victory lap and last chance at some bigger monetary rewards. That doesn't excite me much.

That said, Dennis can still sing quite well, and no matter how fervently you want to argue that Gowan and co. are now "Styx," the reality is that all the hit material--singles, albums--features or includes Dennis DeYoung and none features or includes Gowan.

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

disagree! not that im a huge fan at this point but the reason people are even talking about styx now is cause of dennis's songs. (give or take a fooling yourself) ....and come on. 99 percent of the fans would hit the concession stand during one of the "new songs" over an original deyoung song by the old geezer himself. I doubt the old group would sign up tho, this feel like the Chicago/cetera situtation

Suncola, Terrapin Station and davers like this.
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Or Blue Collar Man or Renegade or Too Much Time On My Hands and maybe more, haven't really listened to Styx since junior high. The fact is that neither Dennis or the rest of Styx tore up the charts on their own and neither party would have reached the heights they did without the other. I see Tommy wrote Crystal Ball and Foolin' Yourself - my two favorite Styx songs. As for Dennis, I'm not a big fan of show tunes.

GodShifter and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I hated a lot of what Dennis did to Styx with the broadway mentality and awkwardness that was Kilroy, and I love the new lineup's album, but I also can't forget the glory days of the band. Dennis and company made a whole bunch of albums I like a lot. So I'm torn, but interested to see if anything comes of this. Probably nothing, but time will tell.

AidanB and Budley like this.
  9. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

This more than anything is why a reunion hasn't happened, and probably never will IMO. If promoters threw enough money at them for a reunion tour then they would do it in an instant. Unfortunately that's not likely, as the band's near-constant presence on the touring circuit over the past 18 years has killed any pent-up demand to see them, even if Dennis were added to the mix. It's quite the opposite of the band's first reunion tour in 1996, as that was the first year they had toured with Tommy on board since 1983, and only the second time they had toured since then. They did very well that summer headlining large outdoor sheds and some arenas. But the novelty of seeing Styx live has long since worn off. In Nashville alone they've played twice in the past seven months, one of which was a free show. I like them but I'm certainly not going to pay much to see them at this point.

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

This is a great point. I saw them in 1996 and 1997 and the shows were great but by now the fans have been over saturated with them constantly touring so even if Dennis were back I don't think they would be doing much larger venues sadly to say.

bru87tr and fsutall like this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I wouldn't walk across the street to see a free "Styx" show, and probably wouldn't see them with Dennis DeYoung, but if he doesn't write "Lady" to put Styx on the map, no one outside Chicago would EVER know the names James Young and Tommy Shaw (well, maybe some Alabama bar-band groupies would know Shaw). I suspect that matters little to Young and Shaw as it pertains to one potential last tour with DeYoung.

12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Saw him 2 yrs back- he can still sing good (not a major fan here)- I say "yay"

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

When I first read this I thought... jeesh... that is harsh. But then I remembered that I can't really stand Dennis DeYoung. So... put on the damn clown suit or it's a no.

14. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Not a big fan of the band, but find all this DeYoung hostility among people who are a little weird; isn't it true that ALL their worldly success/songs anyone knows from when he was in the band? I am not super likely to pay to see Styx at all, but that likelihood would more than double if he were there......(and I live in a part of country where Styx-ish bands are all I get a chance to see.....)

I remember very distinctly, and hope I didn't invent it, in late 70s hearing on the radio that according to some metric or poll, Styx were "most popular rock band in America." Maybe!

davers, Zeki and fsutall like this.
  15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I was able to snag a cheap copy of the Styx book a few years ago and Dennis does not come off well. Plus, show tunes.

altaeria and Chris from Chicago like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

How long have you worked for Dennis? Is he a good boss?

moodyxadi, Purple, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  17. Brian Doherty

hahahaha OK I am clearly stepping into some serious Styx-fan world stuff I just do not understand.....is their body of post-DeYoung work REALLY enough to support being a big fan of the band?

mr.dave, texron, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  18. Scottb

There body of post DeYoung studio material that is decent is only the new CD 'The Mission'. People keep referring to show tunes etc but this is the guy that wrote Suite Madame Blue, Grand Illusion, Come Sail Away, Castle Walls, Queen of Spades, Co-writes on Great White Hope and I'm OK as well as many more classics. Yes Dennis likes show tunes but the show tunes were not part of Styx. Kilroy just killed them.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

those are good. still the styx 'sound' is very dennis deyoung-ish. I don't know if hes more showtunes///more like operatic rock

20. Brian Doherty

And you know what? Especially as a sci-fi geek 15 year old, I thought KILROY was pretty bitchin'.

21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I just like saying "show tunes", but Dennis is a very show tunes kinda guy.

Can Styx's Dennis Deyoung Find Happiness In Show Tunes?

:laugh:

22. Scottb

23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If they agree to this, Larry Gowan is out of a job. They should think twice about crossing him as he's a strange animal with a criminal mind.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

??

Even if Styx decided to tour with De Young in no way does it mean Gowan couldn't tour with the band. The classic line up is essentially missing both Panozzos at this point. No reason the band as it is couldn't add De Young and go out. I really don't understand your derisive comments re Gowan, but I lost interest in the band years ago. I say if the members are alive and it's possible to do a reunion tour, do it.

BDC likes this.
  25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Not feelin' it.

Scott J and PDK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.