Dennis DeYoung wants to be back in STYX for final tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Strange Animal & A Criminal Mind were hit songs for Gowan in Canada at the start of his career.

2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I for one think he still sounds really good. I think the current lineup lacks without him. I never liked Gowan, it's weird and awkward.

When they came out with Return To Paradise, they never sounded better. They were all showing off and sounded great. One of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Never liked the Cetera replacement and never liked the Deyoung replacement.

moodyxadi, zebop and Scott J like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

All one needs to do is imagine the setlist discussion to know why this will never happen:

DDY: I think "Babe" should be midway in the set.
    JY: I'll never play that ****ing song again.
    DDY: It's our only #1 hit!
    Tommy (diplomatically): But Dennis, that's a song that didn't FEEL like a classic Styx song...
    DDY: And I'm thinking "Don't Let It End" for the final song, pre-encore...
    JY: **** that!
    Tommy: We don't really want to do that one, either, Dennis. But "Mission to Mars" would be a great final song. Then we can come back and do "Renegade" as the final number.
    DDY: But, obviously, "Come Sail Away" has to be the final number!
    [gunshots]

4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Again speaking as "average kind of mildly aware of a band who had stuff I dug as a kid" (that is, best option ticket buyer....) Dennis is correct on all points!

aravel, moodyxadi, Hall Cat and 2 others like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ha, shows you know what I know about Lawrence Gowan.

Duke Fame and Todd W. like this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

I really don't like Gowan. First of all his constant spinning the keyboard around for 90 minutes drives me crazy. I think he has a decent voice for his own material but I cringe every time I hear him try and sing 'Come Sail Away'. He does seem kind of awkward even after being in the band for so long. Return to Paradise was great and I saw them on that tour and went backstage to meet the guys as well. Still I don't see them just ditching Gowan for a one time reunion with DeYoung as much as I would love to see that.

mr.dave, zebop and bru87tr like this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Can't deny he was part of some great music, but he's the one who wanted to get away from that great stuff, and go show tunes (Kilroy, Mr. Roboto, etc...)

But man, that was some great songs listed above. :righton:

Scottb likes this.
  8. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I think DeYoung still has a great voice and I enjoy his live band very much. As displayed in the video below from 2014.

I think he could add a lot to a Styx tour again. I'd pay to see it.

aravel and bru87tr like this.
  9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Never was a fan but I don't even get the point of Styx without DeYoung. I understand they don't like him and have to carry on but his songs are classic Styx. I find the Shaw hits forgettable.

aravel, mr.dave, zebop and 5 others like this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They oughta do it. Hell, I might even go see it. I was never a big Styx fan but they were SO huge in my high school, it'd be entertaining to see them, but only with DeYoung. I have no interest in seeing them otherwise.

I predict that they'll never do it though. They (Shaw and Young) will never put aside their bad feeling toward Dennis even to just kiss the past good-bye properly.

bru87tr and Scottb like this.
  11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Nothing against Gowan but "Gone Gone Gone" is so good and spot-on with that classic Styx sound that if DeYoung was singing this instead of Gowan, the band could have told me it's a lost track from 1978 and I would have believed it.

mr.dave, MikeInFla, AidanB and 3 others like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's been bad enough that they still did his songs. I hope they don't do even more of them if he returns.

13. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

The only way I would even consider seeing Styx would be if DeYoung joined them. Like him or not, he was vital to that band.

aravel, moodyxadi, mr.dave and 4 others like this.
  14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I would go see that. If they played the early stuff (no Mr. Roboto) I would pay. They are the only band I ever got see from front row center and I do like everything up to and through Paradise Theater which seemed to be the first notion of stylistic rift, at least to me.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

This. Just popped into this thread to say this.

zebop and spsimmons like this.
  16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I remember how bad Brave New World was.

MikeInFla and bru87tr like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Now this is funny. :D A nice break from some of the viciousness of this thread. (Though I guess it does end with gunshots....!)

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Actually, you'd be surprised how many songs he did not write (I'm leaving out all the songs he co-wrote, because it's hard to know who wrote the song primarily): Renegade, Blue Collar Man (Long Nights), Miss America, Man in the Wilderness, Crystal Ball...

And yeah, at this point, Lawrence Gowan has been in the band longer than he has, and would be the person out of a job if this decision were to be decided this way. So should get to decide.

So yeah, go ahead and sing your songs, Dennis, just don't expect the rest of Styx to jump at the chance to be your backing band.

I'm speaking in hyperbole, of course, it would be doing him a disservice not to acknowledge his amazing songwriting skills.

But yeah no.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I've mentioned this before, but I knew nothing about Styx when I saw them live, opening for Robin Trower. 1977? Possibly 1978? They tore the place down. Stole the show. The write-up, in the newspaper the next day, supported my impression

I never purchased a Styx album but heard Styx on the radio (and friend's albums) for several years after that.

zebop and davers like this.
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

theres no way theyd kick gowan to the curb, I think it would be more likely dennis would sing 4-5 songs and and tickle the ivories with him

Chemguy and Dusty Chalk like this.
  21. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Full disclosure:

I am a huge classic rock fan who was born in 1976 and only have seen 1 show (Cheap Trick) by some of my favorite bands...and Styx is in the Top Ten of that list. If Dennis DeYoung does (by any chance) reunite with Styx and they come through Nashville or Memphis, I'm going! Maybe Dennis will sign my Music Time single! :nyah:

NJB

Zeki likes this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, who knows the lead singer of most bands if they're not fans? Styx isn't touring and playing for its non-fans.

Styx fans know Dennis, and it would be nice to have them all reunited. Not necessary, but nice.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. davers

davers Forum Resident

I think some people forget they were a major concert draw in the late 70s, and those shows rocked pretty hard. They had a ton of popular songs to draw from and Dennis was a major part of their success.

zebop, bru87tr and Zeki like this.
  24. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Dennis made his bed now he has to lay in it.
    Sorry Dennis but I don't feel sorry for you.

AidanB likes this.
  25. davers

davers Forum Resident

I'd see a reunion. I like that Dennis brought Mr. Roboto to the band; totally over the top but fun in the same way that Queen is.

For the record I saw Styx on the Pieces Of Eight Tour in '78 and it was really good, but would've also liked to see them on the Kilroy tour. It's all good entertainment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.