Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue appreciation*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smilin ed, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Moody & wonderful album.
    POB & The Beach Boys Love You: two amazing (and yet, so completely different) reasons to appreciate the Brothers Wilson!

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I thought POB meant Plastic Ono Band and I had to see this thread.

bleachershane, drasil, Adam9 and 6 others like this.
  4. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

I guess typing acific cean lue was too much. ;)

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I recently discovered this album and love it. It's incredibly tough to find anything that sounds so melodic yet so raw at the same time. On top of that, the way songs transition to other forms and back is incredible. There's really no other album like this one that I can think of.

I've never felt for a singer on a recording like I have with Dennis Wilson on POB. Didn't feel this way with Lennon or Cobain. Closest might be Billie Holiday or Nina Simone.

6. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

If you hadn't existed, this would have been my post.

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Yup. Dennis Wilson's POB.

8. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Such a great album, so many great songs, and one of the best Sony "Legacy" series releases, with the POB bouns tracks and the Bambu sessions material. Really a great set of music, I treasure it like I do The SMiLE Sessions.

9. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

I had the original release ! Saw the BB in August 1973 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. I recall Dennis doing either title track and/or River Song. Shocked he was allowed to promote it with the egos of some fellow band mates.

oldsurferdude and Buddhahat like this.
  10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Well I think at that point both songs were considered Beach Boys songs, not Dennis solo tracks. The BBs did a great if incomplete studio version of "River Song" during the Holland period. Blondie used to sing it live IIRC, although the studio version has a Carl vocal.

starduster and Lost In The Flood like this.
  11. Carl Wilson co-wrote River Song and Mike Love co-wrote Pacific Ocean Blues.

12. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Great record. My favorite song is "You and I"

13. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

Had never heard this record till the 2-CD reissue in 2008. It's an absolute stunner. I go back to it often and hopefully the reissue continues to spark interest in Dennis's work. Brilliant stuff!

Lost In The Flood and Mr. H like this.
  14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Most of Denny's music is so unique and moving. A true window into his soul. This man obviously hurt inside.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

As opposed to Miles Davis' KOB ;)

BeatlesBop likes this.
  16. Vincentrifugal

Boy would love to hear them and the Sail on sailor with Dennis on lead. What I'm saying is a Holland session box set anyone???

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

How about that Brother Years rarities set that was in the works at one point? I am sure that there are more Dennis gems sitting in the vault from that period, like "Carry Me Home".

18. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Yep, it's such a travesty that Carry Me Home still isn't available.

Re POB: Thoughts Of You is my favorite track

Lost In The Flood and Buddhahat like this.
  19. Vincentrifugal

I didn't realize Capital was considering that release. I would love to have Sunflower trough Holland at least! Please clean out the vaults it's time!
    Carry me home: Dennis mentions this song in an interview I read, maybe RS years ago, saying it was about a wounded Vietnam Vet , but stayed in the vault because it was too depressing for a BB album or something. All I know is I still can't believe they allowed "wouldn't it be nice to live again to sit in the can for forty plus years. I swear sometimes I think the BB management needed a smack upside the head.

20. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Here you go:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/beach-boys-brother-years-bonus-material.359359/

21. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

That's Ricky Fataar, Rutle, on the drums - likely explaining his credit on POB.

Lost In The Flood and Maggie like this.
  22. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Dennis's lead (and Carl's) alledgedly recorded over, so no dice.

But, yea!, bring on a boxed, or even a Royale with Cheese edition (ditto for Sunflower/Love You)

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My favorite Beach Boys related album between Wild Honey and BWPS.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that POB is probably the best Beach Boys related solo album, though I have not yet heard Looking Back With Love.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Boys' 70's output is often maligned in comparison to their glory days of the 60's. They may not have the commercial appeal, but creatively, it was a fascinating time for the band.
    It still remains the period that often divides fans, especially around the LOVE YOU album. ADULT/CHILD may have had zero chance to be a hit, but it's strange, quirky, bizarre, and fascinating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.