Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue appreciation*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smilin ed, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And, the song "Be With Me" from 20/20, shows that even in 1969, Proves that Dennis had mastered those elaborate productions, like Brian once created.

art and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  2. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I remember reading an excellent article about the "Pacific Ocean Blue" project and the researcher / coordinator who stated there is about an albums worth more of unreleased music.

He also stated he was impressed on how well cataloged his tapes were compared to even the Beach Boys. Either case would love to hear this.

Rick A.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, and apparently there are preserved recordings of some of Dennis' rehearsals for the short POB tour that was ultimately aborted.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. IMO, nothing from The Beach Boys during that era was as consistent as Pacific Ocean Blue. It is no surprise that certain parties in The Beach Boys camp were resentful of Dennis' solo album results; it essentially eclipsed the band's uneven efforts from the period.

5. PacificOceanBlue

There is certainly enough material in the archives for some sort of Dennis Wilson multi-disc set. It seems that it was very difficult to get the POB Legacy Edition green-lighted, so one suspects that any future Dennis Wilson project will be a challenging to get off the ground. One would hope that his children who are involved with his legacy will work towards getting something produced.

6. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Just one item to remember upon attempting to listen to LBWL:yikes:, you'll spend hours, days, months, perhaps whole years wondering how you could have used your time to better advantage. Same scenario plays out on all the luHvster's output whether it be solo or with the group. :evil:

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I spent some time with this album recently. The music is good but the lyrics are weak. There is one stupid rock track that I kept skipping, maybe track one or two.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Rumour has it,

9. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Even a limited edition would be nice. I'm sure it would sell out to us uberfans.

10. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

This fact was addressed in a quote in one of the popular Beach Boys bios, I which I could remember which one or who said it-- double albums only had to attain half the sales of single albums to achieve RIAA gold status.

11. pool_of_tears

I vaguely recall that

12. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes, and this is one of the reasons why I doubt Carl & The Passions outsold Pacific Ocean Blue, even though it charted higher. Each sale counted double, because it was packaged with Pet Sounds.

As an aside, and ironically, this is probably also the reason why the reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue coupled with the Bambu sessions charted so high when it was reissued in 2008. Each sale counted double.

13. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

As I stated earlier, there is no listing on the RIAA site for 1973 album The Beach Boys In Concert. It is actually referring to the 1964 album, with the certification dating February 1965.

Maggie likes this.
  14. pool_of_tears

It did break the top 40, though. And I can't imagine it not selling enough to qualify for a gold record. Oh well, it's their best live album overall :)

drbeachboy likes this.
  15. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

If I remember correctly Sam Goody in Paramus NJ had two copies, in summer 1977. I bought one, and I never saw the album in any other record department in stores like Bamberger's or Korvetts etc. I don't think it sold very well at all.

16. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

That would be track 2, What's Wrong. A truly lame song that I always skip too. Weak lyrics? Compare it with what else was going on at the time and it's pretty heady fare for a "pop" album.

17. ShockControl

Don't know offhand what else was going on at the time, but I'm comparing it to my own standards of good lyrics. I feel that the music and the overall vibe of the songs would demand better lyrics. They are not terrible but not up to snuff, in my opinion. Still, a good album.

katstep likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Would be nice to see. It was good to see some of his music highlighted on Made in California.

19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

This thread is timely for me :)

I have had a gatefold vinyl copy of POB that I inherited from a friend a few years ago. I played it once, discovered it was pretty dirty and put it away.

Last night, I cleaned it up along w my long neglected copies of Surf's Up and Holland. I listened to SU first and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the album much more than I remembered. Then the kids went to bed and pulled my armchair up to the stereo, plugged in the headphones and spun POB.

:bigeek:

Holy Christ on a cracker. Mind completely blown. Talk about sucked in. This album is devastatingly beautiful. I'm so glad I took the time to sit with it. I am not exaggerating when I say it went directly to the top of my list of favorite Beach Boys projects. IMO it edges out Pet Sounds which has been king of my Beach Boys related world since college. So good. So damn good.

pscreed and Lost In The Flood like this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I had not heard the album in a very long time, since borrowing it from the public library where I used to live. Now I heard it via Spotify, and it was really lovely. In a kinda sorta way, a companion to Al Jardine's A Postcard from California (which I just read was rereleased with 2 bonus tracks, so I'll have to dig that out).

Having loved California since a trip here at age 4, and realizing one of my life goals to transplant myself here out of the cold, these albums are like a soundtrack to myself (well parts anyway) along with "California Dreaming" (anyone's version).

21. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Right. I hadn't given POB much thought in quite a while. Side 2 really sucked me in. The way "Time" just opens up after the first minute or so ... It gains momentum and then the album just never lets up until the last note. There are some really psychedelic things going on in the arrangements. Not what I expected.

22. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I get that. Much like his drumming, Dennis's messages are simple and straightforward. It's within the context of the music itself -- and especially the manner in which the lines are sung -- that the lyrics become ennobled and meaningful.
    Looked at that way, the delivery of a line like "The sea air is flowin' through my room again/Like the thoughts of you fill my heart with joy again" becomes emotionally compelling. It is sung with great sadness, possibly a sense of regret. It is only a remembrance of joy.

The fact that this tender and reflective passage leads into a heavier dramatic section filled existential musings was no accident, I would wager. It's not the non sequitur it might appear to be at first glance.

23. ShockControl

I understand your point. With lyrics, there is certainly a difference between simple/direct and simple-minded. I'm not suggesting Dennis is the latter. I do think that very simple, heartfelt lines can take on a deeper meaning through delivery and musical arrangement. For example, the line "If you find love, hang on to each caress" from Sammy Cahn's "Only the Lonely" sounds trite on its own, but within the context of the song, with the melody, and Frank's delivery, and Nelson's arrangement, it is very poignant.

I drove around for a week with "Pacific Ocean Blue" and "Bamboo" on repeat in the car. There were just several occasions in which I found myself wanting more lyrically. I don't have a good example offhand. It is possible that I am thinking primarily of tracks from "Bamboo."

24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Great album.

Does anyone have the single CD version with 3 bonus tracks, and if so, is it a jewel case, digipak or just a cardboard slipcase?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  25. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

What were the bonus tracks? I had the first CD release then bought the POB/Bambu double digipak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.