Denon 110 and Technics 1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using a Denon 110 with my modified MKII Technics 1200 now for several years and it has been such a great pairing. Easy to setup and balance and it just performs wonderfully for the money I paid for it. I am slowly approaching 900 hours and it honestly is not showing any signs of slowing down. My records sound better than ever. At what point (assuming budget is not the limiting factor which it currently is) should I hang it up and either get a new 110 or upgrade? Looking very strongly at the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/2 or the AT OC9XML. I remember reading the 110 is supposed to last roughly 1000 hours.

Cheers,

Heckto35 likes this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It might last you longer but it is hard to say unless inspected properly. If I were you I would make plans to change it now, the time to change is always while it still sounds good.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  3. Excellent advice :)

4. Dr. Metal MD

That is actually great advice. Thank you. I have a Shure m97xe with a JICO SAS stylus that doesn't pair as well with the 1200 IMO that I can use until I can afford the new cart.

Do you think waiting to 1000 hours is safe as long as it is still sounding good?

5. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It's impossible to give you an accurate response to that question. As long as there is no damage and the everything is set properly it will continue wearing at a slow rate so it is not like if you didn't destroy your records up to now suddenly they are going to become unusable when the stylus reaches 950 Hrs.
    In my opinion, nothing will change dramatically waiting to 1000 but unless money is very tight, try to change it whenever possible. In regard of the Audio Technica you are looking at, are you aware they are low output MCs? If your phono input/stage does MC you should be fine but keep it in mind.

6. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the input! I have the Copla SUP from Lounge Audio that I use which should be able to handle them

7. mled

mled Forum Resident

Hey Dr. Metal,
    You might like the Denon DL-301mk2, it is a step up from the DL110 which I had before. Btw, I have a KAB 1200mk2 as well as the Lounge Copla. I recently ordered another DL301 and it was less that than what DL110 seem to be listed for at US retailers online For a while; $300ish. Dl110 was around $200 back when, but now closer to $300. Right now though I’m enjoying the AT 540ml which is different, but I like it. It sells for around $250, got it as a temp while new 301 was in transit, but I’ve kept it on for several weeks now. I would love to hear the AT33ptg, but my cart budget is spent for now.

ranch 22b likes this.
  8. Dr. Metal MD

That's not a bad idea. Thanks! You think the 301mk2 is a definite step up from the 110?

9. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Could always have the 110 retipped with a more advanced styli, probably cost less than$200 and you would have an even better sounding 110.

bever70 likes this.
  10. mled

mled Forum Resident

yes, I do. To me, it brings more of what I like about the dl-110, and to my ears in my system, it does more of that MC quality; of more space, imaging thing (sorry audio for the audio speak). I also bought the lounge copla when I decided to try the 301. Now at that time the price of a dl-110 had gone up considerably. I think the 110 at $200 is hard to beat, but when the 301 was available for $300 I decided to go for it. Of course I had to spend extra for the copla too, but that’s the hobby I guess. I’m using the stock technics head-shell, btw.

11. Dr. Metal MD

That's not a bad idea. Any recommendations?

Nice! I'll definitely take a closer look. The carts I have been wanting are around the $550 mark. Might have to try the 301 and see how it performs until the budget opens up.

12. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

I’ve had a few cartridges done by VAS audio and very pleased with upgraded styli done by him.
    Also, another cartridge to look at is the Hana cartridges, high and low output versions so if you don’t want to spend 3-4 hundred on a stepup, a high output Hana HE is a great upgrade.

13. Dr. Metal MD

I've recently read some great thing about this cart, just haven't heard much about it with a Technics 1200 and I haven't seen them mentioned a lot on threads here. Eyeing this one:

Hana - E MC Phono Cartridge | Shop Music Direct

14. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

110 vs 301MKII ... had both a couple of times.
    In my opinion....no comparison....301 hands down.

But sfrost has given you good options too!!
    ...... a gentleman I trust

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  15. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for weighing in!

cat9 likes this.
  16. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

I have the Hana SL and it gives my Koetsu and Benz Micro LO04 wood body cartridges a run for their money. That said, I have a rebuilt Denon 103 that was upgraded by VAS and it is a killer too. Also recommend the KAB damping system from the 1200 arm once you go to the higher level MC cartridges, although a must with Grado and others also.

17. DVinylFan

DVinylFan Well-Known Member

Denon DL-110 is the first MC cartridgeI had and maybe the last because it sounds So good

bever70, Dr. Metal MD and robertash like this.
  18. Dr. Metal MD

I recently bought the fluid dampener after a long time mulling it over. I am sure glad I did. It literally made every aspect of playback better. I love it.

Do you have a website for VAS so I can look into that?

19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I went from a 110 to the hana SL recently, the hana sounds great and is a definite improvement on the 110, which i LOVED!

vinylvin likes this.
  20. Dr. Metal MD

That's awesome. How much did you get the SL for? The Denon MKII is like $400 and the 110 now is nearly $300...

21. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

I believe you can find info at VAS audio, in Cliffwood beach NJ

22. Dr. Metal MD

Perfect. Thanks!

23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

the SL's are $750

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  24. Dr. Metal MD

Randomly won a 301 MK2 from a US seller with supposedly only 50 hours with all original packing for a little less than $200. Was really surprised I won it at that price, so looks like that's where I'm headed! Can't wait.

The Dragon and cat9 like this.
  25. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Enjoy the cart!

Offer impressions when you've had a chance to listen for a bit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.