Denon 2200 display question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seth, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seth

Seth Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Denon 2200 Universal should play DVD AUDIO/ DAD automatically at 24/96. Is there a display on this unit that show's you? I hit display function and it just turns the display off.

I have the Townshend Who Came First coming and it plays at 24/192 so I would like to know it is playing right.

Thanks

2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The display button that is part of the Pure Direct section (bottom right side of the front panel) only turns off the display itself. This unit will allow you to shut off the display and the audio or video circuitry (depending on what you are playing of course), to prevent any interference from within the unit itself.

I don't believe there is anything on the display that actually shows you if you are playing at 24/96 or not. When you are playing a SACD, you will see SACD highlighted in the dispay window on the left side.

I hope I answered your question.

Jorge

3. Seth

"This unit will allow you to shut off the display and the audio or video circuitry (depending on what you are playing of course), to prevent any interference from within the unit itself."

Is this important,I did not know you could do that

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Honestly, I have never really noticed any difference. Sure does sound like a good idea on paper! :D

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The older Denon 1600 (DVD Audio , No SACD) had an Audio Button which diplayed the 24/96 (or whatever) on the TV screen. Have they taken away this button on the newer universal players?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The remote with the '2900 has the "Audio" button. I believe the '2200 uses the same remote. The model number for the '2900 remote is RC-934.

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I have a 2200 and the Audio button is still there, but to tell you the truth, I never really paid much attention to the display as whenever I play DVD-A/DAD's in it I always have the front display, video circuits and digital out turned off. On the display will show you if it is playing DD, dts, Linear PCM, Packed PCM (MLP), CD, SACD or DVD-A, but I do not believe the 2200 will show you the specific resolution when playing DVD-A's or DAD's either on-screen or on the display. I'll have to check.

8. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

If you turn your tv on and hit the Denon remote's "Audio" button - you should get a banner like this:

Attached Files:

9. Seth

Pete,

Thanks so much I got it,This forum is AWESOME

The Audio 1/1 is that layers,On DVD-A you get 1/2 or 2/2 I was thinking that was layers..as stereo or 5.1.

Seth

10. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

Well, yeah.

That example is from Beck's "Sea Change" dvd-a using the surround option.

Now, theoretically, they could have had a second surround sound mix (perhaps done by a different person), in which case the additional one would be labeled 2/2 (second of two). Make sense?

The stereo tracks of course, could be the same way. Say, a Steve Hoffman mastering on 1/2 and a Jon Astley mastering on 2/2. Talk about your untapped possibilities.

11. Seth

when you put in American Beauty it give you 1/2 or 2/2 there is only 1 surround mix and 1 stereo mix

Seth

12. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That does not refer to layers. All audio programs and other extras reside in different segments of the same layer. The audio programs can be divided into 'Groups' or Audio Programs. When you see 1/1 1/2 etc. after pressing the audio button, it refers to which 'Audio Program' is being played back, for example Program 1 of 2, Program 2 of 2 and such. Where it gets complicated is that some DVD-A's will put the differing audio versions under 'Audio Programs' that can be accessed through the 'Audio' button and some DVD-A's will place the differing audio versions in 'Groups' which can be accessed through the 'Groups/Titles' button, so that the 5.1 mix may be Group 1 and the stereo Group 2 and so on. This all refers to both the 'Advanced Resolution' material and the DD and dts materials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.