Denon - DCD-1600NE SACD/CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BO_KNOWS

BO_KNOWS Well-Known Member

"I'm hopeful to get it before Christmas as well, but who knows?" BO KNOWS. Sorry, these was just to perfect not to do it. :D

BuckNaked likes this.
  2. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Very cool, man!

And likely means mine will arrive any day now. *fingers crossed*

Dan Steele, BO_KNOWS and BuckNaked like this.
  4. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Yes indeed. So I have the George P 400-hour break-in ahead of me. :)

Dan Steele likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

To be fair, the second player didn't need as long as the first one did. Maybe because I ran an SACD every night on repeat every night.

Dan Steele and BuckNaked like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Looks like it won't be much longer for my DCD-1600NE replacement. After calling three different places (the repair shop and two different Denon numbers) today I now have a direct phone number for someone at Denon who can provide me with a tracking number once this ships. Also got this email from Denon, after first calling their customer service number and asking for a supervisor:

Hi George,
    As per our Exchange department, the DCD-1600NE is currently on backorder. ETA for stock replenishment is this Thursday, so the replacement will be received after that. Shipping has been changed to 2 day express. Approximately one week for delivery to you.

Warm Regards,
    Chris
    Customer Support Manager
    Denon

BO_KNOWS and Dan Steele like this.
  7. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

That is great news. Looks like these units are finally alighting upon our fair shores.

George P likes this.
  8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Hopefully they will decide to send some DCD-2500 players since the 1600 seems to be doing well.

BO_KNOWS and BuckNaked like this.
  9. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Those are pricey. Have you checked out eBay?

10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No. I saw a review with a picture of the internals though, and it looks like a nice machine. Also I think I looked on Amazon and you can buy one from a Japanese seller for $1900.

11. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

That's not egregious. Don't forget your step-down transformer!

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I don't think I would order one from Japan, but if they were to start selling it in the U.S. at authorized dealers like Music Direct for that price I might consider it.

BuckNaked likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Did yours arrive yet?

I found out today that mine should arrive Tues or Wed next week.

BuckNaked likes this.
  14. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I was literally JUST posting! :laugh:

My DCD-1600NE arrived yesterday. Due to exigent circumstances, I wasn't able to set it up until this afternoon. So far everything sounds fantastic. Maybe my system isn't as revelatory as others, but I think SACDs sound amazing right out of the box. (Playing Brothers in Arms right now.)

Happy to hear that your is arriving next week. Mine took 30 days from order to arrival, but it was worth the $500 savings.

Carlox and George P like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

Actually, I have found that SACDs and CDs sound amazing right out of the box too, but after a few hours, something shifts. The dynamics get congested, the highs don't go very high, the lows don't go that low and the focus gets blurry. After burn in, all of these issues resolve. At least this has been my experience with a half dozen or so different CD/SACD players.

Yeah, you got a great deal!

I plan to alternate between CD and SACD on repeat on my replacement player when it arrives. I'll run it around the clock on a shelf in a closet for 10 or so days before plugging it into my system. Since I have until January 30 to return my other one, I will use it to listen to.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    BuckNaked and BO_KNOWS like this.
  16. BO_KNOWS

Excellent! Happy for you.

BuckNaked and George P like this.
  17. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

So, no need to run the output signal through an amp or anything?

What do you think is causing the requirement for a break-in? I understand speakers and tube gear need some time, so is it the lasers specifically that need time?

*Edit: Love the utter simplicity of the design....what a clean back! My only niggle so far is the lack of a 'Disc Tray Open/Close' button on the remote.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

No, I learned here that you can burn in a CD or SACD player simply by playing it by itself.

I don't know.

Yeah, very simple design. And built like a tank, right?

BuckNaked likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

When you get a chance, can you compare the CD and SACD layer of a hybrid disc or two and tell me if you hear any clear differences between the two? Thanks.

20. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Will do.

George P likes this.
  21. BO_KNOWS

I see
    When you do the comparison, if you can, try to mach SPL for CD and SACD playback. One format (media/layer) may be recorded louder than the other.
    Sometimes, people perceive louder sound as "better". I personally think you will be able to tell difference immediately. SACD should sound fuller and more analog like.

BuckNaked likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

The MFSL hybrids are good for this, as all of the ones that I have compared have had the same volume levels on both layers.

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. BO_KNOWS

MFSL? Stands for?

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

25. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Don't have an SPL meter, but will be sure to level-adjust.

Doing some A/B now between the different layers. Listening to Steve's Nat "King" Cole remasters, and will pull some MoFi's shortly.

Photo of the unit in situ:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.