Denon DCD2500NE CD Player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bobby Morrow, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Carter

Jon Carter Well-Known Member

Yes thank you. I actually read them myself with much interest not so long ago. The Japanese are perfectionists, you can see it in everything they do! I love that Denon Japanese website, it is full of interesting things to read. It's also fascinating to look at their discontinued cd/sacd models and how they have developed over the years. Best wishes Jon

2. BO_KNOWS

BO_KNOWS Well-Known Member

Hi Jon,
    Did you notice how they use B&W 802 D3 speakers as a listening tool? I assume this is due to the reveling nature of diamond tweeter.
    Also, they apparently defined "DENON" house sound as accurate, vivid and spacious. ;)

I don't want to derail this tread but there's another company that strives for the accurate, vivid and spacious sound. That company is KEF.
    I don't know any other company (off the top of my head) that provides THD measurements with their speakers. Both companies are very serious about the sound and have acoustically treated listening area.
    This is why I think those two companies are match made in heaven with digital media (CD and DSD) for a price/value proposition.

Best Regards,
    Slobodan

3. Jon Carter

Hi Slobodan, yes you're probably quite right there. I believe they are big fans of British loudspeakers, the B&W models being used even at Abbey Road studios. I personally think that is what the British do best, loudspeaker design, but of course we all have our own preferences. My British Ruark Crusader 11s (now 22 years old) still sound fantastic, although the midrange drivers are Dynaudio, from that lovely Danish company of the same name. Regards Jon

4. Jon Carter

PS thank you for the link as well. Jon

5. BO_KNOWS

Hi Jon,
    I googled your speakers and I'm sure they sound fantastic.
    I was Dynaudio fan and owner (Contour 1.8mkII and 3.3) before KEF and quite familiar with their product line. It seems your speakers are using similar (larger) midrange driver that was used in Confidence 5. Apparently female voices sounded particularly good with that driver. I lived in Las Vegas and attended CES show for 10 yeas in row. During that time, I saw and heard a lot of good speakers but
    DYNAUDIO EVIDENCE was my all time favorite.

P.S. Just checked the info sheet for the new B&W D speaker range and they are also listing harmonic distortion numbers in their specs. :D

6. Jon Carter

Hi Slobodan, I did actually audition a pair of early contour 1.8s (I think it was those) along time ago back in 1980 and loved them. Dynaudio would be the one non British manufacturer today that I would personally consider on the loudspeaker front on the basis of those brilliant midrange drivers in the Ruarks. The Ruarks are a perfect size for our relatively small English living rooms over here. I had some custom made speaker stands made for them many years ago so they are raised off the floor, only by a small amount though, and I use supertweeters at the top (made by Tannoy, a Scottish speaker manufacturer) I too attended many shows over the years here in the UK. It sounds as though you really enjoy your KEF speakers? Are you still considering purchasing one of the Denon players as well Slobodan? Best regards Jon

7. BO_KNOWS

Hello Jon,
    Yes, I will be purchasing one of those DENON players. Audiophile and perfections in me wants DCD 2500NE but will most likely purchase DCD 1600NE for NA market when price is right. According to another member here, they were on sale for around $700. For that price, I wouldn't hesitate for one second. It will be connected via RCA cables to my DENON AVR-X8500H receiver.
    I'm happy (and little jealous :D) for you that you can enjoy both of them and be able to purchase other DENON Hi-Fi models (PMA-25000NE) that are not available in North America.
    On the other note, acoustic treatments and vibration devices where money should be spent in order for one to get a full benefit out of any system. My preference for acoustic treatment is RPG QRD 734 Diffusor (DIY) and for vibration devices IsoAcoustics GAIA III under KEF R500 and ISO 200SUB for KEF R400b subwoofer. Together, they make magic happen. ;)

Happy listening,
    Slobodan

8. George P

George P Notable Member

I'll be curious what you think of the DCD-1600NE if you buy it. I am also curious what the "NA market" is. Can you explain?

Jon Carter likes this.
  9. BO_KNOWS

Hello George,

You will be the first one to know what I think of player. I'm just waiting to see if price will drop. :waiting: NA stands for North American market. For some reason DENON treats us like a "step child". I guess someone figure out that USA is not a good market for their full Hi-Fi line up.

Daedalus and George P like this.
  10. BO_KNOWS

But to be fair, the rest of the world doesn't get their full Hi-Fi line up. Some stuff is just reserved for JDM (Japanese Domestic Market).

Daedalus, Jon Carter and George P like this.
  11. Jon Carter

That is a phenomenonal price if you can buy the player for that money Slobodan. Everything is so much more expensive in the UK. I completely agree with you that vibration issolation is so important for a great sound, amongst other things, a good quality mains supply, cable dressing etc etc. George is spot on as well, those very top of the range players only being available in Japan is a shame in away, but the law of diminishing returns definitely sets in from what I have experienced personally in the past. The sweet spot definitely seems to be around the 1600 price band, certainly for cd media replay anyway. Good luck if you buy! Best wishes Jon

George P likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

More than a year later, and I'm pondering an 1600NE.

Any updates or thoughts from the last year anyone would like to share?

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I went to Tokyo in April of 2019 and while there managed to find time to check out some hi-fi. I was drooling over some of the equipment available there from Denon and other Japanese manufacturers.

BO_KNOWS likes this.
  14. torquerulesok

torquerulesok Forum Resident

I bought one last October, from a retailer in Dublin, 20% cheaper than the going rate in the UK.

The 1600NE’s CD reproduction is a definite improvement over my Meridian 506.20, mostly in resolution and sound staging. SACDs take this up another level, or two compared to the DCD1930 I previously used for SACD playback. Build quality is excellent.

The only downside is that its remote is shared with the associated integrated amp so there are a lot of remote buttons I will never use. Also, the remote feels cheap compared to the one that came with my 1987 DCD1500.

Having said that, I’m really enjoying listening to this latest addition and I’ve been buying a lot of CDs late...

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, my 2 Denon remotes have those amp buttons too. For saying they’re both good quality machines, the remotes are extremely basic. They both have the same design, but the more expensive player (the 2500) has a silver, metallic remote as opposed to the usual plastic one.

16. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Hello everyone,

Does the 1600NE DAC decode DSD to analog directly ? In others words, there is no DSD to PCM to analog conversion ?

Does the 1600NE DAC can handle pre-emphasis CD ?

Does actuals brand new models still made in Japan ?

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If I can piggyback on top of that - HDCD?

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes to all these questions.

19. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Thanks George :)

George P likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Anyone have the latest Denon SACD player? The DCD-A110 was designed especially for Denon’s 110th anniversary last year. There’s an amp to match too.

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Is it £110? ;)

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

That would have been a great touch…

Alas, it is not!

Eric_Generic likes this.