Denon DL-301 MKII vs DL-110 cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by G22, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Regarding that compliance discussion, I let it ride with the heavier Sumiko shell since it's sounding so good with it on the Technics arm. Supposedly the KAB fluid damper helps with any potential mismatch as well.

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The DL-301 mk.II is a MUCH superior cart, compared to the DL-110. But they have different phono preamp requirements. The 301 has 33 ohms output impedance, and a typical low MC output. So it will need a VERY quiet phono stage, designed for a low output MC. And the load on the cart will have to be between 50 and 100 ohms, to sound right.

The 110 has 160 ohms output impedance, so needs a load of AT LEAST 2000 ohms, although it is designed for a MM input, with up to 47000 ohms input impedance.

If you plan to use a MC input, and can set its input impedance to between 50 and 100 ohms, then YES, get a 301.

But if your phono input is designed only for MM carts, the 110 will be the better choice.

QQQ likes this.
  3. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I like the DL-301II loaded at 243 Ohms on my Musical Surroundings phonomena II. I preferred 470 on an Emotiva XPS-1. YMMV

4. Warren Jarrett

243 Ohms on this cartridge is lower than optimum; it suppresses the highs and the dynamic contrasts to a noticeable extent, and reduces the signal-to-noise. So if the Musical Surroundings Phenomena sounded a little bright, compared to the Emotiva, I would keep the Emotiva, and properly load the cartridge.

5. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Is the 301 mk.2 a good match for Rega P25 arm (RB300)?

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Just food for thought to the OP: Can your preamp drive the 301? I needed a step up tranny when I had a 301. It got ridiculous at one point, all the little boxes, extra cables and wires everywhere.

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'll have to get a step up or preamp.

8. Warren Jarrett

The improvement in sound quality, by going to a low output MC (such as the 301) with a step-up is well worth the extra money and the extra box and cable, compared to a high output moving coil or a moving magnet. Once I made that upgrade, a few decades ago, I have tried listening to a few of the best high output carts, but am too spoiled by the LOMC's detail and dynamics to like them.

9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

The 301 mk.2 is a high compliance cart and my Rega arm is medium mass.Something of a mismatch?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  10. Warren Jarrett

No, the 301 Mk2 is higher compliance than most traditional MC carts, and definitely lower than most MM carts. It is medium compliance, and perfect for a Rega.

Henry Love likes this.
  11. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Henry Love , I was running my 301 with my RB 300 and I was very happy for a number of years! Then I went up the food chain! :)
    Cheers, Doug

Henry Love likes this.
  12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thanks.

13. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

51 Ohm here with HM-7 SUT & Herron

plastico likes this.
  14. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Just purchased a VAS re-tipped 103D. Slowly becoming a Denon fanboy

15. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

I bought a used Denon AU-300LC SUT for a very reasonable price to go with a DL-301MkII. This feeds into a Budgie phono pre. I have been very pleased with this combination.

16. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I had this same combo with my ARC SP9 phono stage, then I got a Budgie 1254 SUT and it destroyed the AU -300 LC. Something to think about.
    Cheers, Doug

17. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The Denon 301MKII sounds wonderful on a well-tempered turntable, as good (and sometimes better, like more slam...) as my twice as expensive dyna 10X5, this cart is just crazy good for the price, way better in all aspects than the DL-160/110 i used.

bluemooze, plastico and JackG like this.
  18. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Denon carts are excellent, I’ve been running them almost exclusively for over 40 years. Can’t go wrong with either. Between the 301 and 110 it depends what phono amp you’re using and price point you need to be at .....

Doctorwu likes this.
  19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You could also consider the Denon DL-103 low output MC, which works very well with 100 ohm loading. It is under $250 and probably has the biggest fan club in the cartridge universe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.