Denon DP-75 Turntable performance

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Oct 5, 2022.

1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

What do you think of a Denon DP-75. It may replace a Luxman PD-272.

2. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

Don't know the Luxman, but it looks very nice. The DP-75 was very near top of the line for Denon, and mine just feels like quality. Unfortunately mine runs about 8% slow so it needs repair. Of course, it is just a motor unit and it needs a plinth and a tonearm so it is not a direct comparison.

Squirrel! and McLover like this.
  3. allied333

Thanks.

4. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

It comes down to the tonearm on the Denon and the restoration. The DP is a very nice design but much more difficult to repair and they almost always need a repair. It’s been awhile but I remember a floating magnate platter or something that is fairly unique and fussy. I’ve seen a variety of tonearms both from denon and aftermarket. My last one was a DP 1000 with a very low mass ARC (I think) tonearm, it was a terrible tonearm and not easy to match with a cart. The “S” shaped Denon arms on their top models were probably better than the Luxman but not by a lot. I gave mine to a friend and he wound up trading it for a Sl 1200.

assuming both tables are perfect, the Denon is a better table. Lower noise floor and just more substantial plinth. I’d trade my luxman for one if it was perfect. The ones with the the mahogany veneer look really sharp. I think the best advice is to be sure you have a backup table if you go this direction.

nosliw likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

When a Denon DP-75 is in top operating condition, it's a very fine turntable. A classic.

Squirrel! and nosliw like this.
  6. allied333

Thanks for info. Due to the TT issues I will look for another. At AK they state great TT, but no issues. Glad I checked here. I will post new here for new vintage TT.

7. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

My go to recommendation for a top vintage DD turntable motor unit is the Technics SP10MKII. People will argue whether the best Denons and Victors are as good or better, but the Technics was a broadcast standard because it was a workhorse and is the mostly easy repaired and maintained.

McLover likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I can't disagree with this. A workhorse turntable. If maintained and not abused, will last decades. Designed to be serviced by broadcast engineers if necessary.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The problem with the model DP75 is the various guises that it came in or found itself in. The DP59L, DP60L, and DP72L all were standard decks, and offered in US market versions with 120v electronics. They have standard plinths, tonearms, and features so that they can be compared directly. I have a DP72L, which has a nice low mass tonearm, various counterweights, and a heavier S-shape arm. Many used examples will only have left one of the arms and counterweights. It has better specs than the DP75, plus an auto-lift function at the end of a record side. I have fully restored mine, but most examples will not have that done, so as always you get what you pay for.

Would I replace another nice table with a top end Denon table? Well that depends upon what other table that I had. I also have the top end Rega models, so I would just say that they all have strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other. Since these are all top end maker models, they do a good job of reducing those weaknesses, so much so that they are more similar than different in terms of the sound quality. Still, they all sound a bit different. DD tables will have restoration requirements that can be avoided with most BD decks.
    -Bill

McLover likes this.
  10. allied333

Denon DP-72L is a $2900 deck.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

And the DP75 in rough shape or lonely is not. You either want a great deck or a cheap deck. I'd just stick with what you've got and concentrate on listening to records if you don't want to by another nice deck. That said, better sound can come more affordably from a cartridge or a phono stage upgrade.
    -Bill.

12. Frank Bisby

There is no standard pricing, condition or availability on these vintage tables. A good friend bought a DP75 for $500 just a couple months ago. If you are buying from some one who sells vintage equipment as a way to make a living be in on Ebay or a local shop, the prices are going to be absurd.

I doubt anyone needs tips on how to buy stereo equipment around here but you can only buy from the options that are available. Sure, a Technics Sp10 is a great suggestion but good luck finding one. At the end of the day you are really looking at buying from an individual that is within a distance you are willing to drive. Turntables are one of those things that most people are not willing to ship, find that opportunity. IF you have your heart set on a DP 75, look every day on CL for a couple years, it will happen and the price will be nowhere near $2,900.

This is a process of hunting not just shopping. A denon DP75 is a fantastic idea when its less than $700. At $2,900 its foolishness for a wacky collector.

13. Frank Bisby

14. allied333

15. Frank Bisby

hmmmm....well....when I said, "friends in Michigan that can help you out" the idea would be they could go check it out, buy it and ship it to you in Florida. Perhaps a long shot but I've done this sort of thing for others and acquired a few this this way myself. If you don't want to pay top dollar you have to make some effort and solve some problems.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, and BD to be primary. That's a restored Empire with an arm upgrade. Or upgraded AR, Thorens, or an Ariston.