Denon PCM Encoding in 1970s. Is it different than Sony CD PCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mr Bass, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle Thread Starter

Thanks for alerting me. For some reason I had thought they were derived from Sony circuitry and modified. What were the technical specs? By and large they were both very poor or at least the digital LPs each issued was much worse than their analogs and the Denon or Soundstream recorders.

Edit: OK I found something on Decca quoted below:

So now to Digital. Signal to noise/distortion, only the A-D's & D-A's to worry about since you got back from the tape exactly what you put on it. Our converters were 'home designed and built' so we were again able to learn from the horse's mouth how to keep them aligned for best performance. First converters 16 bit, later 20 bit. Tony Griffiths and his team were adamant the sampling rate should be 48Khz, Sony plumping for 44Khz. This meant that when the CD came along sample rate converters had to be made in order to produce master tapes for the CD production process as the factories mastered from U Matic machines. When Mitsubishi produced their 32-track recorder it was capable of 44, 48 and 50K, also the earlier 3M 32 track machines could be used at 48K.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle Thread Starter

3M's system had a lot of operational problems. It was very difficult to use and since it was a US company I thought they might feel a slight twinge of disgust using it.:)

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There was a unit in Europe though, if I recall correctly. It was touchy to use, but it sounded great I always thought. 3M spent a bloody fortune developing it, only to have the market pretty much sucked away by Sony with their VTR-based units. Of course, they didn't allow you to do multichannel recording like the 3M did, at least not for many years.

4. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

The CD "Turn of the Tide" by Barclay James Harvest (Polydor 800 013-2) from 1983 features this remark inside the booklet:

"Mastered on SONY F.C.M. 100 Digital Processor".

Is there anywhere some information available concerning that device?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. If it reads like that it's an errata, it's Sony PCM 100 Digital Processor like this one [​IMG]

Anton888, Plan9 and Billy Budapest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.