Dense Water, Deeper Down: Sinead O'Connor, song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Prayer For England — surely another highlight from this stretch of her career. 4.018/5

croquetlawns and brownie61 like this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Prayer For England"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-4
    5-2
    Average: 4.228

3. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Simple Heart", written by Natacha Atlas and John Reynolds. Performed by Natacha Atlas featuring Sinéad O'Connor.

Simple Heart Lyrics Natacha Atlas ※ Mojim.com

Natacha Atlas is an Egyptian-Belgian singer who is also associated with Ghostland.

Line Up:
    Natacha Atlas: vocals
    Sinéad O'Connor vocals
    with
    Justin Adams: guitar
    John Reynolds: keyboard/bass/drum programming?

4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

This is interesting - I like the middle-eastern touches, but Sinead isn't given enough to do: 2.5/5.

5. Lance LaSalle

Yeah< i agree, Sinéad's part is secondary, even though I wouldn't call it a background vocal.

This song for some reason irritates me, like I feel like it should be doing something else than it's doing. Now, that should probably excite me....but it doesn't. I want to give it extra points for the Ghostland connections but in good conscience, sir, I cannot.

2.5/5

6. Library Eye

Simple Heart
    really underwhelming
    2.4/5

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Simple Heart

There are a few places here where there is some kind of weird staccato effect that’s very annoying and disconcerting. I thought there was something wrong my system. Other than that though, I just love this kind of music. I like the middle eastern theme that pops up in the music. I like Sinéad’s voice more than I like Natacha’s voice, and I wish there was more of her (Sinéad). But this beat and groove are killer. Get rid of the stop/start staccato effects and I would rate this even higher.

3.5/5

8. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Simple Heart

love the instrumental track and the hints of Sinead but I don’t care much for Natacha’s vocal. 2.5/5

rfkavanagh and brownie61 like this.
  9. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Simple Heart

I love this - the middle eastern influences and overall production are interesting and appealing. Natacha Atlas' voice is fine and doesn't cause me any problems, but I don't particularly love her timbre when she's singing actual lyrics (as opposed to the vocalizations). O'Connor's part is enjoyable - I agree it would have been nice for her to have a bit more prominence or more to do, but it still works for me. I even love the staccato parts. :D

4/5

10. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Simple Heart"
    1-0
    2-1
    3-3
    4-2
    Average: 2.9

11. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "One More Day", written by Harry Gregson-Williams and produced by Trevor Horn.

Sinéad O'Connor – One More Day Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"One More Day" was released on the soundtrack to the film Veronica Guerin in July 2003.

It was also released as a promo single in the US in September 2003.

croquetlawns and Library Eye like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

A stirring pop song...but...I don't know. Not my thing.

3/5

Sort of pissed off because I bought this soundtrack CD for the two Sinéad songs and they are beset with unlistenable staticky distortion. For some reason NM versions of this soundtrack are quite expensive in Europe and it's not on iTunes. So I'm going to go without, but, in truth, listening to this, it's not such a huge loss. Many of her 90s soundtrack songs were better, IMO.

Library Eye likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I will echo your post because I feel exactly the same. Sorry, there’s not much more I can say about it.

3/5

14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

One more Day

Lance you mentioned in the Prince thread Where U Go sounds like you’d hear it over the end credits. That’s exactly what this sounds like.

It had a good start but became quite benign quite fast and leaves nothing behind when it’s over. I’ve already forgotten it. 3/5

15. Library Eye

One More Day — The sorta unspectacular overall nature of a lotta of Sinéad's stuff following I dunno Universal Mother or Gospel Oak leaves me unenthused about clicking on these numbers I ain't heard or perhaps rather don't recall hearing, as well as ones I remember. It continues here.
    O'Connor made a couple albums I love and other fine work and Horn is integral to and sings lead on a couple LPs I love and is also much involved in other interesting work. So, somewhere in the multiverse the two of them probably made some fascinating vibrant album together. Let's call it a double, maybe! On this Earth we got that really entertaining take on Haunted, at least. Is there anything else? This number is just middling. Seems possibly promising for first few seconds, is best I can say. 2.84/5

16. rfkavanagh

One More Day

I like this one more than most of you, it seems - maybe I'm just so excited to be past Sean-Nós Nua! It's also probably a lot to do with the song being composed by a film composer based on his score for the movie - that's generally likely to go down well with me. I do wish the vocal was steadier, though (I know, it's my regular refrain where O'Connor's concerned - too much tremulousness!). :)

I've never seen the film, but I was still in Dublin in 1996 when Veronica Guerin was killed - and studying journalism at the time - so I'm very familiar with the sad events.

3.5/5

@Lance LaSalle I have the soundtrack CD as well but mine doesn't have any sound issues - were you just unlucky enough to get a bad disc, or are those staticky issues endemic to a whole batch or release? Mine is probably the US CD.

17. Lance LaSalle

Oh, I don't know. I just assumed that I got a bad disc perhaps damaged from a previous owner-- I bought it second hand on Discogs.

18. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "One More Day"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 3.068

19. Lance LaSalle

20. Lance LaSalle

Tomorrow I'm going to start holding up songs from She Who Dwells In The Place Most High Shall Abide Under The Shadow Of The Almighty.

Immediately preceding and following the release of Sean-Nos Nua Sinéad toured extensively for the first time since 1998. She also did a fair bit of recordign with other artists: there were several more songs that she recorded that I didn't go over here, because they fall more into the realm of "recognizable backing vocal" than lead or co-lead vocal. And I've also skipped a few tracks that would end up being released again on She Who Dwells In The Place Most High Shall Abide Under The Shadow Of The Almighty,

She Who Dwells In The Place Most High Shall Abide Under The Shadow Of The Almighty,
    was a two CD album; the first was collection of outtakes, demos and a few previously released songs recorded, presumably throughout her 15 year career, though the lion's share of them seem to be outtakes from Faith And Courage.

Although some of the tracks had been released before, the great majority of them were unreleased, and, despite the great disparity in sound quality and mastering from track to track -- it hardly seems as if it's been mastered at all, but feels and sounds more like a compilation disc made on Windows Media Player or something -- there is a certain cohesion to the album and for the purposes of this album I'm treating it as a studio album proper, albeit a very long one.

The second CD was a live recording made in Dublin circa 2002 or 2003 during the Sean-Nós Nua tour.

She Who Dwells In The Place Most High Shall Abide Under The Shadow Of The Almighty was released more or less simultaneously on a wide variety of minor labels in different countries. Due to that there may be difficulties in seeing youtube clips I put up.

Not long after the release, Sinéad announced her retirement from the music industry.

The tracklist for the first studio disc was:
    1. Regina Caeli (Traditional, arranged by Sinéad O'Connor) {I plan to hold up another version of this song at Christmas}
    2. O Filii et Filiae (Jean Tisserand)
    3. My Love I Bring (Pablo Moses) {Originally released on the VA compilation Chainsaw Massacre, this is an slightly different edit}
    4. Do Right Woman (Chips Moman, Dan Penn)
    5. Love Hurts (Felice Bryan/Bordleaux Bryant --Faith And Courage outtake)
    6. Ain't It A Shame (Keith Strickland)
    7. Chiquitita (Benny Andersson, Bjorn Ulvaeus) {originally released on the VA compilation album Across The Bridge Of Hope in 1998; this is an edit of the original}
    8. Brigidine Diana (Sinéad O'Connor)
    9. It's All Good (Damien Dempsey) {A variety of versions had been released in 2003, including versions of Sinéad on backing vocals on in duet with Damien Dempsey; this version is a solo version}
    10. Love Is Ours [demo] (O'Connor, Robert del Naja, Neil Davidge) Sinéad O'Connor & Massive Attack
    11. A Hundred Thousand Angels (Andrew Frederick Blissett, Lucinda Mary Drayton
    12. You Put Your Arms Around Me [demo] (O'Connor, Rick Nowels) {probably from the Conjure One sessions}
    13. Emma's Song [Adrian Sherwood remix] -{originally released as a bonus track on Japanese and Australian versions of Faith And Courage}
    14. No Matter How Hard I Try [demo] (O'Connor, Brian Eno, Dave Stewart) {outtake from Faith and Courage}
    15. Dense Water Deeper Down (O'Connor} {outtake from Faith And Courage -- another version was released in 2012 on How About I Be Me And You Be You -- to be held up separately when the time comes
    16. This Is a Rebel Song [dub remix "Irishman version"] {originally released as a B-side on No Man's Woman, 2000}
    17. 1000 Mirrors (Aniruddha Das, John Ashock Pandit, Sanjay Tailor, Steve Chandra Savale) Sinéad O'Connor and Asian Dub Foundation {originally released on Enemy Of My Enemy, 2002}
    18. Big Bunch of Junkie Lies (O'Connor) {perhaps a Sean-Nós Nua outtake?}
    19. Song Of Jerusalem (Traditional, arranged by Simon Sleeman)
    On the 17th of July, I'll hold up the second Live disc along with Goodnight Thank You, You've Been A Lovely Audience, a DVD of different performances released more or less at the same time.

After that I'll hold up the following songs:
    • The Seven Revoices of Mary (Traditional, arranged by Sharon Shannon) Sharon Shannon featuring Sinéad O'Connor {from Libertango, 2003}
    • Anachie Gordon (Traditional, arranged by Sharon Shannon) Sharon Shannon featuring Sinéad O'Connor {from Libertango, 2003}
    There were a half-dozen or so songs recorded with The Monks Of Glenstal Abbey from an album called Biscorat: Sound Of The Spirit From Glenstal Abbey, released in 2004. Sinéad recorded under the name Sister Marie-Bernadette O'Connor -- but I plan to hold all of those songs up at around Christmas time (this thread will finish sometime before that, but I'll revive it for Christmas.

So on July 20th, I'll start holding up songs from Throw Down Your Arms -- the reggae covers album released in 2005.

I am going to Croatia for the week on the fourth, but I should still be able to post here.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  21. rfkavanagh

The Funeral

Basically a reprise of the Irish-language section of One More Day with a slightly different music bed - separating it out allows the strong vocal to stand out more, so it gives me my much-desired less tremulous version. :D

3.5/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

This one is better than yesterday's for sure: 4/5.

rfkavanagh and Library Eye like this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

One More Day/The Funeral - surprisingly restrained for a Trevor Horn production, but that's just as well! I like it well enough, but won't be seeking out the CD - 3.5/5 for both.

24. Library Eye

The Funeral : an improvement— which hopefully can't be said of most funerals.
    3.88/5

25. vikinghomepage

vikinghomepage Forum Resident

I don't like these Veronica Guerin songs at all, they sound to my ear like soundtrack-ballads-by-numbers that will soon by written and performed by AI. Sinead doesn't seem to find her voice on these at all. They're a mess.

Mr. Heartbreak and Lance LaSalle like this.