Depeche Mode - Rate and Discuss Your Favorite Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I was flabbergasted with I Feel You when it was released. It contains the voice of Dave, but for the rest (I felt) there's noting DM in that song. I had to get used to the single and it was never a favourite of mine.

I only recently bought the album (erroneously thinking for years I could manage with only the 86>98 compilation), and I was surprised at how good it actually worked in the album sequencing. It pulls you into this other/new DM world and when Walking In Your Shoes kicks in I'm totally ready for it. So it works great as an overture to SoFaD.

jamesc likes this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I remember tuning in to the world premier broadcast of the local alternative radio station and I could not believe my ears. Screechy guitars and a dirty production? What happened to my beloved synth pop DM??

I did grow to love IFY but mainly due to the remixes - I'm sick of the live version and wish the band would retire it from the setlists now.

SweetTea and c-eling like this.
  3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It was the first lead single by them that I really didn't care for either. I understand they were probably trying to stay relevant when bands like Nirvana were dominating the airwaves that they used to reign but fortunately for me, the rest of the album more than made up for it.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here James, figured they were just following 'Fashion' :D
    I actually held off buying this album on release because of my dis-taste for it, It wasn't till an old girlfriend a few years later was playing some of the deeper cuts I picked it up

jamesc likes this.
  5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I still bought both I Feel You CD singles because of "the sickness" (well, and the excellent sleeve art!)

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The 'Helmet at The Helm' mix saved me from despair :laugh:

jamesc likes this.
  7. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

I love the version on Delta Machine. It rocks a little harder to my ears then previous versions. Plus the background video works perfectly.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Funny, I was jonesing for new DM at that point, and was pumped for I Feel You, even if it felt like a grungier Personal Jesus ripoff. I've never been able to love Walking In My Shoes though, probably my least favorite on the album.

George P likes this.
  9. Yost

Does anybody know about a website that has an easy to access list of all DM singles, remixes and b-sides? I know it's all on Discogs, but than I have to click every single release.

PS. I've been playing my Violator era CD singles all day now, and I need something fresh. :angel:

10. Yost

I have to correct myself: the intro of the album and the 7" version have the same bass and drum parts. Because of the better dynamic range on my single release, the mastering is more open and detailed, which makes the individual sounds stand out more. Hence the perceived build up. From an arrangement point of view the single betters the album intro by starting with a signature sound from the rest of the track, which pulls you right in. The album starts with the drums only, which aren't that distinctive.

11. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Try this one.

Yost and jamesc like this.
  12. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Wikipedia (the English language version, to be precise) actually does a fantastic job for this, tracking for each single every possible release: 7BONG, 12BONG, L12Bong, XL12BONG, CDBONG, LCDBONG, XLCDBONG, RCDBONG, DVDBONG, Sire releases and even some very interesting promos (P12BONG and PCDBONG)!

Depeche Mode discography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

I found out some mixes that I had originally missed at the time of release by clicking on the links from this page, and bought them years later to complete the holes in my collection!

Yost and jamesc like this.
  13. Yost

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

14. Yost

In still involves clicking on every link. ;)
    But trying it out, I learned more about Strangelove than I ever knew. :righton:

15. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

From discogs and explains it...
    This is the UK version of the 4 track "World in My Eyes" single. It was planned to be released on a 3" disc. Tracks 2, 3 and 4 were re-edited to fit on the 3" format.
    The final release was put on a normal CD5" nevertheless, but it still included the 3" versions. The original full-length tracks can be found on the German release (INT 826.945).

jamesc likes this.
  16. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Violator - almost perfection.
    Perfection would have been if they had released Halo as planned.
    Brilliant artwork on the releases.
    They could have placed the b-sides on there to make it longer but we still got them anyway.

17. 3Dman

Man, really want to go into the basement and tear through some boxes to find some CD singles, love to hear Sea Of Sin.

c-eling, JeffMo and George P like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Front 242 Addict and 3Dman like this.
  19. 3Dman

Thanks for that! I've never seen that video before.

George P likes this.
  20. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Exciter era, I would say from the look. It was one of the rear projections for the tour, if I remember correctly it was for "It's no good".

It's not an "official video" for Sea of Sin, although it works!

Gems-A-Bems and Yost like this.
  21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Depeche Mode 101 and Violator for me. I liked Music For The Masses a lot too, but I think 101 covers the best of that, as well as providing a good retrospective. It also sounds terrific, and while not as fleshed out as their later albums with the arrangements, it has a very distinctive sound and feel. Older cuts got the best technology at the time behind them, and newer cuts whetted the appetite for Violator, which IMO was a near-perfect studio production.

They didn't sound bad after that, but they didn't seem to have that exclusive Depeche Mode identity. Trying to be too many things to too many people, maybe. The 101 film is fun to watch too, and Gahan never looked better. Fresh faced and full of enthusiasm. Takes a lot to be frontman for a band stationed behind synths, and he pulled it off in the best possible way.

George P likes this.
  22. Yost

The long version is also on my Indisc/Belgium release. It looks like the UK release is the only one with the shorter versions…

jamesc likes this.
  23. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Oh cool, I didn't see that. That totally makes sense. I bought the limited German CD single at the time but had the UK of the main release. I replaced the UK with the Japanese CD when it was released but that one has the edited version as well. It's frustrating when Discogs has the wrong times listed...

Doh! Just realized after writing the above that there are at least three timings of the Oil Tank Mix. The longer one I was referring to was released on the 2004 singles box. https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-World-In-My-Eyes-Happiest-Girl-Sea-Of-Sin/release/1986743

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    c-eling likes this.
  24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

A Halo single would have been amazing. It would be nice if some unreleased Kevorkian mixes from the period would surface on a Violator DE some day.

pwhytey, c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  25. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands. :cool: Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, and Music For The Masses. Violator would be my number 4 pick.

JeffMo, Front 242 Addict and George P like this.