Depeche Mode - Song By Song/Album By Album Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madison-chan, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Peace.

Always think about it and comment on it as being an electronic hymn to me particular because of that chorus.

The chorus is painful so this song for me cannot be saved. I don't mind if I don't hear this song again.

1/5

David Jakubowski and HitAndRun like this.
  2. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Peace. No thanks. Sterile, little Melody, boring. 1/5

3. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Wow. I don't think this is an outstanding song, rather run of the mill for DM. But, I didn't expect 1/5s. I'm not disagreeing with the ratings, as it's entirely subjective. Just surprised.

4. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

Peace:

I am surprised how much flak this song gets. Especially with "Come Back" coming up next...

My biggest criticism (again) is that the sounds / the production is not really inventive or pushing any boundaries. It all got a bit comfortable on SOTU imo (except for Wrong).

And regarding the album title: I think Delerium covered that subject far better on Spheres I + II in 1994.

3/5.

5. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Peace is ok. As others have mentioned, the band seemed to think more highly of this song than most fans do. Maybe different orchestration could have helped? As it is, I'm not sure what kind of chart success or reaction to live performances they would expect for this song.

That said, it almost seems like this could be a title track to the album. Maybe they didn't do that since Eurythmics (and I'm sure others) did it first. But Peace would make a far better album title than what they ended up with.

6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Track 8, and what feels like the start of Side B (even though no version of the album comes on just 2 sides), is Come Back.

Written by Dave, Christian Eigner, and Andrew Philpott, it's a song that some people hate and some people love. I'm in the latter camp : I love it's melodic choices, it's wall of sound production, the semi-gospel approach you can hear in the layers and backing vocals, and the conclusion of the song. Sure, it's not as good as Enjoy The Silence, but what is?

In the associated EPK, Gahan said : "I do have my favourite tracks on the album at the moment but they change all the time! I think my favourite is actually 'Come Back' which is a song that I wrote with Andrew and Christian which has really come a long way from the demo."

By the sound of it, the band worked hard on developing the potential of their demos, working through arrangements and ideas, Martin trying to make the songs sound more Depechy, and adding his own melodic flourishes to songs. The production isn't groundbreaking, but instead a measured, slow burn of sound as the song slowly builds from part to part.

In Rolling Stone, Dave added : "Martin helped a lot [with my songs], he invested a lot of time, trying a lot. Sometimes I had to pressure him a little bit, but he had this idea with the backing vocals in 'Come Back', which is wonderful."

Generally speaking, the song was in a rotational slot with "Miles Away/The Truth Is" on the 2009-2010 tour, and was last played live at *that* Royal Albert Hall show. I think it worked very well live, and I really rate this as one of the better songs on this divisive album. 4/5 for me.

7. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Here's the original demo of Come Back

HitAndRun likes this.
  8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Here's a studio session of Come Back that I think was on the supermega deluxe box set version of the album.

Groovy and HitAndRun like this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

There's also two remixes of the song. Here's the Jonsi Remix (Sigur Ros fans may know that name!)

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

And here's the SixToes remix

HitAndRun likes this.
  11. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Christ, "Come Back" is awful, morose, melody-less pap, in my opinion. They have b-sides from the '80s and '90s that are far stronger than this. I dunno, I find a lot of their post-Playing the Angel material very difficult to defend.

12. Saturns Pattern

Also, the thought that both Martin and Dave thought "Peace" to be one of the best songs Gore has ever written not only tickles me but convinces me for once and for all that Depeche's judgement is well and truly f***** to the point where it's totally unsurprising that their last near 20 years of output hasn't been all that good.

HitAndRun and markreed like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

What happened at "that" RAH show?

HitAndRun likes this.
  14. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Alan played with them for the last time.

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  15. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Come Back isn't my favourite Dave song, I just find it rather plodding.

2/5

16. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Come Back

This is OK. But, I find it a bit boring. With the large number of songs and albums that DM have released, I feel no real need to come back and listen to this again really. I will listen to it in the future when I listen to the album.

My main thought here is that I'm sure that Dave's Hourglass has a number of songs on it that are both better songs than this. And which have better production. I'm going to spin that today.

Oh, I have to vote on this.

3/5

I don't feel I want to go down into the 2s, but I can't raise this above a 3. So: vote decided.

Last time so far? Excessively optimistic? Moi?

17. ILoveMyDogs

Come Back:
    Sounds like a lesser Oasis song to me. Otherwise as already summarized below.

18. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I get that lots of people don't like Come Back, in fact lots of people don't much of the post Ultra stuff. And sometimes I agree with them. I think there's a gap between what we might want Depeche to be, and what they are. As far as I am concerned, something like Come Back is probably rubbish if you stick to what you expect from Depeche, but in its own right, and without the words Depeche Mode on the cover, it's pretty good. Sure, there's some stadium rock leanings - but there were in I Feel You, Personal Jesus, Never Let Me Down Again, etc. You could easily imagine, say Poison, covering A Question Of Time. Though please, let that never come to pass. We've already had Def Leppard doing Personal Jesus!

ILoveMyDogs, tin ears and HitAndRun like this.
  19. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Hmm... I think there are some good songs on the album, and 'Ghost' is my favourite DM b-side. There are plenty of post-Ultra songs that I like a lot. I don't think I dislike DM because I don't like what they are, or were in 2008. I just don't like this song.

20. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Sadly, for me, this wasn't in the big box. I was disappointed that the official version was (what seemed at the time) so crowded with noise and disappointed again when the demo version wasn't this version either.

I feel that something was lost between this and the official version.

HitAndRun likes this.
  21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I could swear its on my Megabox version : Depeche Mode

Jagger69 and HitAndRun like this.
  22. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

It is. It's on the DVD with three other studio session recordings, Corrupt, Little Soul and Stories Of Old.

HitAndRun likes this.
  23. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

It looks like the video of it is there. At the time I didn't know how to rip the audio from a video and so needed a purely audio track.

I sold my box several years ago so that boat's sailed. Ripping the audio from the youtube video is all I could do at this point.

HitAndRun likes this.
  24. Saturns Pattern

I disagree with this completely. I think it's a horrible track from any conceivable angle to the point that whether or not Depeche Mode released it is irrelevant. This sounds like the type of thing hardcore fans of anything come out with in order to justify weaker output (see also: "even a weak album by (insert name of favourite band here) is better than most bands' best!" ... erm, no!)

HitAndRun and ILoveMyDogs like this.
  25. ILoveMyDogs

I disagree, too.
    And for me it's not about leanings towards stadium rock. I just think Come Back is boring and bland.
    I like many post-Ultra tracks but find it difficult to warm up to those Gahan / Eigner / Philpott songs (except Suffer Well).

HitAndRun and markreed like this.