Depreciation of unplayed vinyl after playing it.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If you want to be, er, anal about it, let it rest overnight so the groove(s) can recover.

What "tip" are you using? If it's a Shure V15, ignore the above and play as many times as you wish...

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

It's a Regal Super Elyis and the table was set up a very short time ago.

I never knew about the whole "resting" issue until it was mentioned around here a few times. Caught my curiousity.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, save those inner grooves.

Follow the Audiophile motto: "Play Once A Day".

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Those MFSL Anadisc LP's are the same way. But MoFi says since they don't dehorn(chemical bath used to wash the metal parts) the stampers before they use them, a few minor pops and clicks are to be expected on the first couple plays.

5. stever

stever Senior Member

I finally pulled the trigger and picked one up -- received it in the mail today. Mint vinyl and I can't wait to play it.

6. audio

audio New Member

There are those audiophiles and vinyl heads who insist that it is a bad idea to play a record more than once in a row without letting the grooves cool down. I agree with this personally. As to cleaning a new record, this is absolutely essential to remove mould release compounds and manufacturing residue. A new record is not 'clean', and far from it in fact. Also, depending on the type of sleeve the NOS record has been stored in such as certain poly lined numbers, there could be substantial residue from the plastic on the vinyl surface that would affect playback. I recommend you check out some of the threads in the archives on vinyl care and cleaning and read what I've said. This is one area where I am pretty confident that I know what I am talking about.

7. audio

audio New Member

It's true, man. It really can be a crap shoot. I've had used records that I've replaced with sealed copies thinking it would be an improvement and in some cases, the new lps sound worse in a variety of different ways. It really depends and defies logic. Vinyl can be a pain in the ****, but when you sit down with the right lp on the right system, it sure is worth it!

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I get the impression that many times when getting a still-sealed record from years ago that is noisier than it should be (or noisy even compared to other copies you may have bought used), even if you cleaned it well, it's because that SS record was probably one that if you had opened it when it was originally purchased, say in 1968, you would have went back to the store with it to exchange for another copy because it was "defective", but since it's been sealed for all these years and you just opened it and played it for the first time, it's not like you can exchange it for another new, sealed copy. So instead of that "defective" pressing going back to the distributor and then the record company to get reground to make more records ;), there is no exchange available for it anymore.

9. audio

audio New Member

There's no way of knowing for sure, I suppose. I recently bought a sealed copy of Badfinger "Magic Christian Music" and it sounded horrible. At the same time, my sealed ELO "A New World Record" was amazing. At this point, I just look for clean records that look to be in mint condition, with no evidence of groove wear from improperly alligned setups and no evidence of garbage cleaning methods such as finding soap residue on the run off groove. If the record sounds less than exquisite, I simply look for a replacement. I think it depends also on where or when the record was pressed, obviously. I've got a battered "Electric Warrior" lp and I still can't find a mint one that sounds as good, despite the scratches. I don't know what it is about that particular copy. The same thing happened to me with a beat up copy of Small Faces record I had. For some reason the drums sounded really good and I had to buy the same record three times before I found one that sounded as nice.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Sgt. Pepper MFSL UHQR is NOT the British LP version....
    ...and Jamie, make some CDR's of those great sets and play away without worry! Good Luck, and have fun on your new project!

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

My experience is that with a high quality table and stylus, you will do no harm to a new LP and neither to a used LP (as long as you clean it with a vacum record cleaner beforehand). Make sure you let the record rest 24 hrs between plays. Also be sure you do not put any spindle marks on the label. This is a sure sign an LP has been played.

12. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I think there is some documentation in the MFSL box claiming that with their superior vinyl you can play it over and over again without waiting.
    They took some effort to point that out.
    I really like the sound of my box except that four of them, the 2 White, Abbey Road, and Let it Be had white specks imbedded in the vinyl causing loud pops. I think they left the windows open the day those were pressed, this stuff is not impacted in the groove but actually pressed in the vinyl.
    The others were dead quiet and amazing.

13. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Jamie,

The forum's given you great advice, but there's a lingering, unanswered question that I'd like to raise: do you plan on selling these 2 sets?

If you are, I'd caution you to keep one thing in mind. The Rega/Elys combo is nice, but should you upgrade to a better cartridge and/or table/arm (and and I suspect that, like so many of us here, eventually you will), you'd hear these LPs in an entirely new light. The difference in sound new analog hardware can make can be stunning. As I recall, the Elys is fast-sounding but a bit bright; if in a few years you listened to these LPs using something like a Benz Glider (a much warmer sounding cartridge compared to the Elys), you'd be shocked at how different they can sound.

Of course, if you make CDRs and sell the records, you'll never be able to hear these differences. Even if you decided to sell the MoFi for the money it could bring, I'd suggest holding on to the BC-13 (especially if the LPs' matrices have low lacquer numbers, meaning they were pressed from tube-cut parts). Hearing, for example, a tube-cut BEATLES FOR SALE on a really top-flight analog set-up is jaw-dropping.

Something to consider, I think.

Larpy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.