Derek & The Dominoes "Layla" Question(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Incidentally, has anybody heard anything more about the rumored Deluxe Edition of Layla that Universal is supposedly planning?

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Is the original Polydor the same as the RSO ? (I remember having one with the RSO logo)

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

The original Polydor is the RSO. They are one in the same.

4. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Randy,looks like I won't have to hunt for that one.I wonder which version Tom Port likes.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FWIW, I know Universal has some Cream and Clapton DE's in the works (a few to the point of being "just about done"), but I haven't heard anything about Layla.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Layla would be weird because they would make product competing with themselves. FWIK, the 3 CD box set with the jams and outtakes is OOP, but still VERY available and plentiful through used record chains. I really doubt they have anything substantial to bring to the table AFA Layla without repeating the same material as on the ~1991 box set.

But I'd love to see something on a Deluxe version on Slowhand or 461 Blvd if something marketable is possible.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Layla was first released on Polydor and later on RSO in the UK. In a lot of cases, RSO didn't bother recutting the albums, they just scratched out the old Polydor number in the dead wax and hand etched in their own number. I never heard an RSO version.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you kidding? As far as Universal is concerned, that box set is dead and gone. While I haven't heard of any plans myself, I can see the bosses saying "how can we repackage Layla again?".

First up should be the first album, then 461. There are 3 sets of mixes of the first album...

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Jason,
    I believe you're referring to the fourth and last remastering of the whole album - the Polgram, remastered by Joseph Palmaccio. There is no mention of date on it but I remember buying it about five years ago.

The speed is the same as the others and there is plenty of hiss, more than you get on the 1990 remix (not surprisingly) so I doubt that NR is being used. They went back to the original stereo mix and the sound is okay. I prefer the remix because the drums are tighter and there is more punch overall but as Sckott says you hear more things (usually guitars) in the remix which is a little disconcerting.

I wish I had the original CD to compare the new one to.

10. peter

peter Senior Member

Just to confirm, UK RSO pressings (1973 on) are excellent. It was just a label change. Nothing to do with remastering, etc. History of Eric CLapton was the last UK Clapton LP to come out on Polydor (just found one this summer in LA at Rhino), while Rainbow Concert (a 1973 release) was on RSO. Also, in the 80's, at some point, RSO changed from a tan label to a black one. I have a Derek & the Dominos In Concert like this. Sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.