Derry Girls on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Love it!
    Big round of applause for actress Louisa Harland as Orla McCool, who slyly steals quite a few scenes.

sound chaser and Scope J like this.
  3. PCM7027

PCM7027 Forum Resident

Catch yourself on!

It's absolute gold. One highlight for me was Kevin McAleer as Uncle Colm telling his hostage story. Just superb.

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

"You know, every year I sit backstage listening to the singers and it really makes me realizeā€¦
    just how talented the professionals who originally recorded these tracks were."
    - Sister Michael after listening to a version of "The Rose" at the school's talent show.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  5. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

The season was too short! I want more. Hilarious, but closed captioning helps us Americans get some of the small stuff.

badfinger54 likes this.
  6. Daryl M

Daryl M Forum Resident

I love this show. The fact that I have a huge crush on Michelle has nothing to
    do with it, I might add.

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I marathoned the series this evening and absolutely loved it. Hilarious, heartfelt, strange, and brilliantly cast. I'm about to recommend it to everyone I know. I loved the musical selections as well.

8. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

How it there not more chatter about this show? I think it is blowing up in the countries of origin.

badfinger54 likes this.
  9. Parachute Woman

I absolutely adore it (I've watched season 1 four times through on Netflix). Season two is airing now on Channel 4 in the UK, but unavailable--through traditional means--in the US right now. I've watched the first two episodes online myself and very much looking forward to episodes 3-6 over the next few weeks.

One of the most hilarious and refreshing shows I've seen in ages.

10. PCM7027

PCM7027 Forum Resident

Uncle Colm reappeared this week, delaying the queue at the local cinema. Classic.

11. Was on the fence about this but now I'll give it a go.

Parachute Woman and Scope J like this.
  12. Parachute Woman

I hope you enjoy! I got my parents into it, though they had to turn the subtitles on to understand half of the dialogue. :p

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this looks good! gonna check it out...thanks...

Parachute Woman likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

AH HA HA! that's funny, but I can relate!

15. One of my favorite movies is called The Snapper. I have watched it so many times that I think I have the Irish lingo down pat. hehe Lots of naughty words for sure. :righton:

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

I did enjoy the first two eps, which I saw when this thread first appeared. I agree the language barrier is going to be a major stumbling block for Mum & Da America, yet not for the language iself...but for their aversion to even using closed captioning. :laugh:

Which is too bad, because they're truly missing a much better family comedy than anything ABC puts on awkwardly-targeted to the "family" audience...!

17. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

Ahh...wait until you get the the third episode for Season 1. Just outstanding. The "Holy Smirk" episode.

18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Very funny show, it takes a bit of listening to understand everything said but it is worth it.