Derry Girls on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Love it!
    Big round of applause for actress Louisa Harland as Orla McCool, who slyly steals quite a few scenes.

3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Catch yourself on!

It's absolute gold. One highlight for me was Kevin McAleer as Uncle Colm telling his hostage story. Just superb.

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

"You know, every year I sit backstage listening to the singers and it really makes me realizeā€¦
    just how talented the professionals who originally recorded these tracks were."
    - Sister Michael after listening to a version of "The Rose" at the school's talent show.

5. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

The season was too short! I want more. Hilarious, but closed captioning helps us Americans get some of the small stuff.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I love this show. The fact that I have a huge crush on Michelle has nothing to
    do with it, I might add.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I marathoned the series this evening and absolutely loved it. Hilarious, heartfelt, strange, and brilliantly cast. I'm about to recommend it to everyone I know. I loved the musical selections as well.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

How it there not more chatter about this show? I think it is blowing up in the countries of origin.

badfinger54 likes this.
  9. Parachute Woman

I absolutely adore it (I've watched season 1 four times through on Netflix). Season two is airing now on Channel 4 in the UK, but unavailable--through traditional means--in the US right now. I've watched the first two episodes online myself and very much looking forward to episodes 3-6 over the next few weeks.

One of the most hilarious and refreshing shows I've seen in ages.

10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Uncle Colm reappeared this week, delaying the queue at the local cinema. Classic.

BwanaBob, Scope J, CBS 65780 and 2 others like this.
  11. Was on the fence about this but now I'll give it a go.

Parachute Woman and Scope J like this.
  12. Parachute Woman

I hope you enjoy! I got my parents into it, though they had to turn the subtitles on to understand half of the dialogue. :p

Humbuster and Butterfly Blue like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this looks good! gonna check it out...thanks...

Parachute Woman likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

AH HA HA! that's funny, but I can relate!

15. One of my favorite movies is called The Snapper. I have watched it so many times that I think I have the Irish lingo down pat. hehe Lots of naughty words for sure. :righton:

scott palmiter and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I did enjoy the first two eps, which I saw when this thread first appeared. I agree the language barrier is going to be a major stumbling block for Mum & Da America, yet not for the language iself...but for their aversion to even using closed captioning. :laugh:

Which is too bad, because they're truly missing a much better family comedy than anything ABC puts on awkwardly-targeted to the "family" audience...!

17. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

Ahh...wait until you get the the third episode for Season 1. Just outstanding. The "Holy Smirk" episode.

18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Very funny show, it takes a bit of listening to understand everything said but it is worth it.

19. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Watched a couple of these and really enjoyed it. Also liked the 90s music they work into the episodes.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just watched the first episode and I love it! I haven't laughed that much in a while.

Scope J likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Not sure when S02 is coming to
    Netflix, can be seen on Vimeo now.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I watched the whole season last night in one go and it was big fun. I was surprised that the last episode ended on such a serious note.

Bring on season 2!

Scope J likes this.
  23. Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas Baron Cello

Good comedy, Sister Michael is hilarious.

Scope J likes this.
  24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

This has really been perhaps the most joyous discoveries for me in the past year. I love this show, and so glad it seems to be a common reaction. I can't stop telling people to watch it.

wolfram and Scope J like this.
  25. Parachute Woman

I'm a mega fan of Derry Girls so I watched series two online while it aired in the U.K. and will watch again (and again!) when it comes to Netflix. For those American fans waiting to see series 2 when it arrives in America, here are my brief thoughts:

Series two is very, very enjoyable. I would say it is not *quite* as masterful or fantastic as series one but very good all the same. There are a few running gags I wish they would lean away from a bit (I.e. Granda Joe's constant belittling of Gerry starts to feel quite hateful after awhile) but it is a set of six very funny, very engaging episodes full of shining moments for everyone in the cast. I do wish they would use Aunt Sarah and Orla a little bit more or give them something of a feature episode, but that can still happen in the future.

After the fourth episode, I was craving the show bringing in a little bit of heart to offset some of the cynicism and damned if the last two episodes of the series don't both feature lovely, more emotional moments that add some much needed warmth to the show. The penultimate episode (The Prom episode) is probably my favorite episode of the series thus far. The cast remains fantastic. My MVP for the season is actually James, the wee English fellow.

If I give series one a 10/10, I'd give series two an 8/10. I'm not looking forward to waiting another year for series three!

head_unit and wolfram like this.