Designated Survivor (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

When I don't wear socks, my shoes have nudity in them too. ;)

kevywevy likes this.
  2. Stupid autocorrect!

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think like anything else, you have to approach violence, nudity, and adult language with taste and restraint. But when you need it, you gotta do it. Designated Survivor wouldn't descend into total madness if Kiefer Sutherland yelled "bull****!" or "goddammit!" or even "f*** you!" It doesn't have to go crazy. I think the amount of cursing and nudity in House of Cards is pretty reasonable, and their violence quotient isn't off the charts... put it would be tough to do on traditional network TV.

audiomixer and kevywevy like this.
  4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Too bad Mad Men wasn't on HBO. I would have loved to have seen more of all of those hotties Don Draper was with!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So after the show was cancelled on ABC, I am shocked (really, really surprised) to find out that they managed to revive the show for 10 episodes on Netflix:

‘Designated Survivor’ Saved With Netflix Pickup After ABC Cancellation; Season 3 Of eOne Series To Tackle Fake News

One assumes it'll be a little more "edgy." Star/co-producer Kiefer Sutherland says:

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to play President Kirkman for season 3 of ‘Designated Survivor’ with Netflix, eOne and Neal Baer,” Sutherland said. “I believe this format will allow us to continue to delve deeply into storylines and issues concerning the American electorate that were not previously possible.”

Silken likes this.
  6. :goodie:

I never gave up hope of Netflix coming to the rescue of this show, even though it's been a little worrying to watch one name after another come and go behind the scenes, suggesting that all was not well. Considering previous storylines and their similarity to recent events in the actual White House, I very much look forward to the gang tackling "fake news" as a major source of inspiration next... That is, of course, providing the other main cast members will also be returning to join President Kirkman - maybe they'll finally give Hannah Wells the full-blown action spin-off she's been screaming for since early into the series? For some reason, it always felt as if I was switching between two programmes with very different tones whenever an episode would cut to her! Oh, and did I mention:

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I think the difference in "tone" within the show has been a huge problem. Is it West Wing? Is it an alternate-future series about terrorists attacking America? Is it a drama about the personal lives about the people who work in the White House? Or is it a conspiracy drama about FBI agents investigating and dispatching bad guys? I think a lot of audiences found that jarring.

8. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

FYI - DEXTER SPOILER BELOW:

I recently found this on netflix and am almost ready to begin season 2. I've been out of the TV show news loop for a while; there's just too much to keep track of in this new golden age! I would like to see how things go. It's good to find a show with a lighter tone to it; you'll have to understand that I practically watched THE SHIELD, THE WIRE, THE SOPRANOS, DEXTER, BREAKING BAD ... one after the other and it took it's toll on me!!! I haven't tried the other political shows, such as HOMELAND OR WEST WING OR HOUSE OF CARDS. I did watch the show, TRAVELLERS and enjoyed the lighter tone there too. Sometimes it's nice to watch something for pure entertainment (remember that?!) without worrying about plot holes and all the technical aspects you sophisticated cinemaphiles seem to live for.

As far as the changing show-runners and maybe cast memebers too - it could add some welcomed humor to it for me. Just please no kirkman with a beard in the pacific northwest, as a logger(?) in the final shot!!! Hilarious!

This is no Jack Bower; more like Mr. Rodgers with an edge :)

Vidiot and shokhead like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

This show was brilliant out the gate.

Hopefully they can restore the brilliant.

xj32 likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

BTW, I'll also point out that the cast changes were baffling. First President Kirkman has a wife... then they <big spoiler> abruptly kill her off. Kirkman has a young daughter and a teenage son... then he sends them elsewhere to live for their own protection (like they won't be safe in the White House). Then the kids are brought back after the wife dies... and the son decides to go off to college. WTF?

They bring in a trusted associate (a former President) to be Kirkman's VP... and then the guy kind of undermines him and they fire him from the position and he's off the show. Then the actor comes back and his character is now a major badguy. WTF?

Kirkman is now alone, then they bring in an age-appropriate woman to create the potential for some romance... and it's Kim Raver from 24. And then after being in the show for a few episodes, she abruptly leaves to take an important position on the other side of the country. WTF?

It's a weird show, with people frequently coming and going. One hopes they'll straighten out this crap in the Netflix version.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just started season2 -- where did all the silly comic relief come from? Weird! Did what's-his-name, Kal Pen get added as a writer too :) I just read that Season 2 episode 1 was origianlly, "Sam and Kirkman go to white castle" :p but they decided to save it for the DVD extras, whoah!

Vidiot likes this.
  12. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

That juxtaposition ("two programmes") is likely to keep us satisfied - need enough action in the story lines, a contrast etcetera.
    A Hannah Wells spin-off? You mean that horrible show, Nikita! Yikes! I couldn't get through one episode of that crap. Like triumph has said, "finally a role that requires you to suck!"

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Just finished Season 3, overall very enjoyable but goddamn Emily Rhodes was really annoying me with her sanctimony - Lorraine Zimmer the campaign manager really had her bang to rights!

GreenDrazi and audiomixer like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Still working my way through Season 3 on Netflix... as time permits. Note they got rid of yet another regular: the feisty black woman who was (briefly) President Kirkman's vice president, only now she's decided to run against him on the Democratic ticket. :eek:

I'm pretty sure that the ABC show never specified whether Kirkman was a Demo or a Repub, but now they've committed in this series and said he's definitely an Independent -- and is fighting both parties. It's a messy show. The Netflix version is also looking a little "cheap" to me. On the plus side, the campaign manager is nutty and fun to watch.

15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Yeah she was fantastic, brought a great energy to the show

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

heh I finished S3 this evening and enjoyed the season. Emily has always been Kirkman’s moral center or high ground, if you will, despite her own failings.

Oh, I had to look up "bang to rights" :D

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.