Designated Survivor (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess... Did we hear the first 'dammit'? The female FBI agent isn't a very good actor and I cringed when they started playing the awful end-scene musical montage number - is that still a thing?? This show is mediocre at best, though still watchable (even if they're poaching The Last Ship's theme of state succession due to government turmoil).

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I read the original script a while back and it was pretty good.

The actual show? Too slick. Too heavy handed.

Not hideous but not great.

misterdecibel likes this.
  3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I was half-expecting Kiefer to call his wife 'Audrey' by mistake.
    This show is a bit of a stinker but it's quite good fun. Definitely shades of '24'. When they flashed back 15 hours earlier in episode one, I thought 'here we go'.

John B Good and Vidiot like this.
  4. I'm enjoying it and find it to be very plausible so far but Kiefer's habit of whispering a lot of the time is very annoying. Your character is wimpy (on the surface at least), we get that, now speak up!

RubenH likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kiefer also has a few acting "tells" that bother me, particularly his squints and his head shakes. He did this in 24 as well, and once you're aware of it, it'll drive you crazy.

I like the show, though I agree with Quadguy that it's heavy-handed, but the ratings are not as big as ABC had hoped. ABC has picked it up for the entire 22-episode season, so we'll see where it goes.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Watched the 2nd one. Again, thought it was ok. Interesting to see how it will develop.

7. shokhead

Hard to watch his wife without her irish accent from Ronin.

8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Agree; his single-gear acting is grating; and I loved 24. This is no 24, but it's "good enough," for now.

kevywevy likes this.
  9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

No, I agree with you; it's pretty boilerplate otherwise. As others here have mentioned, the 'whodunit' is really the driver to this series. Having a foreign entity (State or not) would be all too predictable; I'm leaning toward a domestic or inside government actor. I'm rooting for the show, but would not be surprised if it lasted just 1 season.

Deesky and marblesmike like this.
  10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Just another case of ABC and their "instant gratification ratings" scenario, if it doesn't deliver the goods, something else will be in it's place this time next year. I can just hear them in their "war room" meetings: "We'll we're paying Keifer a bazillion bucks, he should deliver....maybe it's the supporting cast we need to change..."

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm on the cusp of bailing from this one. It's cheesy and cliched. The FBI lady irritates me immensely. She seems to wander round looking at everything and not actually do anything or have an kind of interactive role. The whole false flag attack is so blindingly obvious too that I almost hope it really is al-Whatsit, the Iranians, or maybe even Russians, just to make it a bit different.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

But that wouldn't be politically correct. Therefore it has to be an inside job.

Vidiot and Rufus McDufus like this.
  13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, sometimes watching him I can't help but be reminded of his terrible acting in Dark City. Still, this has me engaged for the moment, and I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

John K.

shokhead likes this.
  14. shokhead

:agree:

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My prediction is that it is an inside job and that Kimble Hookstraten (Virginia Madsen), the other designated survivor, is behind it.

Rufus McDufus and marblesmike like this.
  16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll be watching the next episode.

I'd also bet on an inside 5th column type big bad.

17. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

The show is not bad. Of course, I always find things. If the POTUS and most of Congress were actually blown up, the designated Survivor would not be allowed to be walking on the White House porch chatting with his wife. In fact, I bet he would be taken away to an undisclosed military bunker. A sitting president dropping dead is one thing. The whole freaking congress and President is a whole other level.

Grant, rockclassics and HGN2001 like this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

I thought that too. They would likely get him into Air Force One and whisk him away to somewhere parts unknown. But then that would be a boring show with the President giving orders over phones, video, etc.

Grant likes this.
  19. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

If were the Designated Survivor or sworn in at President, the first thing I would do would be demand all access to the Kennedy, Roswell files, etc. :)

rockclassics likes this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't watched ep. 2 yet, but is that a real character name? Kimble Hookstraten? Sounds like a ridiculous name from a sitcom.

Gumboo likes this.
  21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I did enjoy hearing the Apprentice get told that retinal scans were only used in the movies. :)

22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Who are you going to request that from. Everyone in a command role supposedly got wiped.out.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm really liking it.

Love the idea of a second designated survivor and Virginia is solid actress.

shokhead likes this.
  24. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Then I'll go digging myself :)

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's a more interesting idea if it is an inside terrorist job, and they're blaming it on another country for political reasons. It's not so much politically correct -- it's more challenging from a story point of view.

Jimmy Carter -- who (famously) once said he would never lie to the American people -- has said that on his first day of office, he turned to his top advisers and said, "so, where's all the secret information on the aliens, Area 51, and all that stuff?" And they all shook their heads and said there was nothing -- there were no aliens, no Roswell secrets, and nothing going on at Area 51 except military plane testing.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.