Desperately Need Cartridge Help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James Noel, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Noel

James Noel Active Member Thread Starter

Ok, so I am in complete analysis paralysis mode picking a new cart. Too much information available online! I currently own a Rega RP3 with GT metal sub platter and delrin main platter. My amp is a Yamaha A-S1000. Current cart is an Ortofon 2M blue. I previously had the red and the blue is definitely nicer but I want to move to the next level of sound. I originally thought Rega Ania maybe but I am reading it is overly bright. I should say I am looking for an detailed but smooth listen. I listen almost exclusively in headphones (ATH 1000) so overly bright is not good. I've since been bouncing around from 2M black, 2M bronze, quintet bronze and Hana SL. I am now going in circles. 2M black sounds like maybe not for me as many of my lp's are used with most of those being 60's jazz, so surface noise will be instantly noticeable. 2M bronze sounds intriguing but the Hana gets so much love I want to give it a whirl. My concern is it's an MC and while the A-S1000 preamp can handle both it is not adjustable gain. Anyone have some good recommendations?

To make my life more difficult my daughter just found, on the side of the road, a perfectly working Thorens TD 145. I had Dave at vinyl nirvana mount a cheap cart. I replaced the RCA connects and gave it a good cleaning. Surprisingly good sound...but this is a topic for another post :)

Dennis Metz likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What are the gain, loading, and capacitance specs of the phono preamp in your integrated?

3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

2M Bronze & if out like the sound upgrade to the Black Stylus

4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I have owned the A-S1000. A few thoughts:
    -avoid brighter carts as the amp is a tad bright itself. With a Denon dl110 I had to turn Treble to 9:00 to get acceptable brightness, but I prefer not to use tone controls.
    -go for carts with a strong mid punch, such as older Shures, as the amp is a bit recessed in the lower mids.
    -the onboard phono preamp is okay for mm, not very good for mc carts (my experience)

5. James Noel

In response to patient_ot, not sure on those specs. Need to find my manual.

Daytona600, good point. I could start bronze then upgrade stylus if I wanted. Just worried about too bright with the black.

G B Kupiers, thank you. That's great info. In particular which shure models? I am not very familiar with there carts.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

well, this forum tends to exaggerate things to a certain extent. The 2m Black isn't as bad at revealing surface noise as people make it out and the Hanna isn't the best thing that ever happened. I have run a blue and a black on different tables simultaneously, I can tell you that if a record is noisy with a black, its just as noisy with the blue. The black is just more vivid from top to bottom. I would personally find that vividness a bit much if I was only listening through headphones. For that reason, I would go with the Hanna.

If you are not going to have an extrnal phono with enough gain for a lomc cart, I'd stick with MM and this is the next level after the 2m Black. Clearaudio - Maestro V2 Ebony MM Cartridge | Shop Music Direct

I'd just skip the part where you try to compromise and get a HOMC. That's just a cart for stubborn guys that refuse to buy a phono stage.

vinnn and Rolltide like this.
  7. James Noel

Yes, it appears staying MM is best for my current setup. I'll check out that clear audio offering as well as shure v15. I will definitely not get a HOMC :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I recently picked up a used Shure V15-Type V and a new Jico ML replacement stylus and it sounds GOOD. Gives my MC carts a run for their money, which surprised me,

caracallac likes this.
  9. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

I know people will hammer me for this but if you're NOT going to go MC,then you're best ALL ROUND bet will "probably' be a Audio Technica AT-VM95SH or ML(here it comes duck!).

NONE us here have heard EVERY Cartridge that's out there (!). We can ONLY advise as we see fit(that's why people post, surly?), I've not heard every cart I know but,I do own the AT-VM95SH & two more high spec ,more expensive carts & I've heard carts I don't own on other systems. The Audio Technica AT-VM95SH is better than a Rega Ania......on my system....and it was very obvious... Audio Technica AT-VM95SH £154.... Rega Ania £500...!!!!
    I know the way I would go if I had to do it again,price ISN'T always a guarantee of quality or more importantly......"Synergy".

I wish you all the best really,it can be a mind **** when you ask for advice.

-evo777

Sweetspot likes this.
  10. James Noel

Thanks! Yes, I know asking for advice is tricky. It is all so personally subjective. Just the mind numbing amount of cartridges is a mind f***! I'll add those AT to my list :)

Evo777, where did you get the V15V? Ebay? I've seen a few just not sure about reputable sellers.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yamaha A-S1000 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

^The service manual is there. I would try to get someone to look at the input caps on the phono section schematic if there is one in the service manual. I wouldn't buy any high output MM/MI cart without knowing that value first.

12. bloodlemons

I think you mean me. Yes, I got the V15 cart on eBay. Got the new stylus direct from Jico.

13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. bloodlemons

Looking at my eBay acct, I paid $152 for the V15 Type V-MR cart. It came in original box, etc, but with no stylus.
    The Jico VN5MR stylus was $199.

For what it’s worth, I also have the AT VMN60SLC, but have not A/B’d the two. My memory is that they compare favorably. I have changed some things in my setup since last time I mounted the VMN60SLC, so it’s hard to say.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  15. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Hi...
    I see this is getting a bit much so I won't personally post anything else after this,no offense but I just want you to make your mind up & be done sometimes too much of a good thing(advise!)is not...well good.

I haven't a "V15V" it's a Audio Technica AT-VM95SH, for it's price point(£155) it's FANTASTIC.
    There isn't that many bad reviews/opinions on it so you should take it that,it does go well in a myriad of systems, really.

Here(https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/s1000/review)is a u.k. review of your amp it sounds like a decent bit of gear.
    If you were to buy a good budget Cartridge you would STILL have funds available for a Phono Pre Amp of your choice to EXACTLY match the cartridge you already have...if you aren't happy with it just via your amp.

*Link not working don't know why sorry*
    Cut n Paste...
    OUR VERDICT
    A big, powerful, attractive amp for the money, even if it’s not without competition

FOR
    • Built like a tank
    • retro styling with a modern twist
    • effortless sound
    AGAINST
    • May be too rich and smooth-sounding for some tastes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    £999
    £899

LOW STOCK
    REDUCED PRICE