" Devil In His (Her) Heart " Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

So, what about girl group the Donays' " Devil In His Heart ", covered by the Fab Four as " Devil In Her Heart "? The liner notes to WITH THE BEATLES refer, in a polite fashion, to the song/the group's utter obscurity! In 1979, a play of it on WPIX-FM in New York City, IIRC, sold me on a copy of THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM.
    It was, in fact, the B-side of " Bad Boy " (No, not that Beatles' one - or THAT Beatle one, FTM:winkgrin:.). THAT side, interestingly enuff, showed up on a MOJO magazine freebie CD recently:eek:!

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Perhaps their best cover, beats the heck out of the original.

MitchFlorida likes this.
  3. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Great original, great cover.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

As I've gotten older and more into old soul music I appreciate the Fab Four's soul and r 'n b covers less and less and prefer the originals. They sound pretty "white" and stiff despite Paul's and especially John's great talents as vocalists. The only cases I prefer their covers might be Money and Twist and Shout.

RobRoyF likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

They did pretty well with Arthur Alexander stuff, and their version of "You Really Got A Hold On Me"
    is still imy 'go-to' over The Miracles hit version...but I prefer The Isley's "Twist & Shout". Mileage varies.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They did better with lighter material imo; Arthur's original versions are pretty poppy in themselves.

7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Well, I've never heard the original, so...

"The Devil In His Heart" - The Donays.

GerryO likes this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Don't take Chanshezh
    If your romansh izh
    Sho important to you.

ajsmith likes this.
  9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Cannot listen to the Beatles doing this song without smiling.

The gusto with which this rock and roll band attacked girl group songs is incredible, and I think it really helped them learn songwriting and arranging. Unlike Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly or Carl Perkins where they just had to learn parts, they had to work out how an all male guitar band would approach these numbers.

Devil in Her Heart is well played, and sincere, and corny and cool and ridiculous all at once.

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

I always liked the Beatles track. I'm listening to the Donays for the first time, and I like it too. Good rhythm in particular, reminiscent of Bob Crewe (who, for all I know, may have produced it). From one who is not the biggest soul or R & B fan, it's not bad at all!

GerryO likes this.
  11. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Loved this song since I first heard George singing it in ‘64. Prefer theirs to the original. Faster tempo and George’s way with that guitar figure two of the things that hook me. Heard Donays original in the 80s and while I generally prefer r n’ b originals to beat group covers, with this one not the case.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ringo just sounds so good from the first 5 seconds, and I think I can hear analogue tape and warm vintage 60s tubes compressing and then blooming in a lovely period way, and recorded rather well. Can you smell the tubes from that old console hitting their mark, or is it just me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    blutiga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.