Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

OK, I'll try this. The Facebook posts reaction ratios on Dexter's official Facebook page. Presumably, these are fans who have liked the show at some point, and also have likely seen the finale, since the post-finale posts on the page include spoilers for the final episode.

There was an official post yesterday morning, a 3+ minute video with various cast members and showrunners talking about the finale. The title of the post, above the video is:
    "Sometimes you get what you deserve and sometimes you get what you need" - Michael C. Hall
    Get his take on the finale of #Dexter: New Blood.

Here is the current count of fans' reactions to the post:
    Like: 2K
    Sad: 1.8K
    Love: 945
    Angry: 324
    Caring: 55
    Wow: 45
    Haha: 11

There was another official post later yesterday, a 52 second video of some interview audio with Michael C. Hall. The title of the post is:
    "I think Dexter craved some sort of definitive resolution to his life and to his story, and in spite of the horror of it there's something undeniable."
    Michael C. Hall joins the Wrap-Up Podcast to discuss the finale.

Like: 891
    Sad: 429
    Love: 226
    Angry: 136
    Caring: 13
    Haha: 6
    Wow: 3

Presuming that these posts are very similar in content - both are about the people directly involved in the show talking earnestly about the finale - I'm going to combine the two posts' counts, even though they differ in certain ways that I don't think are very relevant.

Like: 2891
    Sad: 2229
    Love: 1171
    Angry: 460
    Caring: 68
    Wow: 48
    Haha: 17

That's 6884 reactions. Actually this isn't quite exact, or good for my argument, because the "2K" and "1.8K" are rounded down, but I'll allow it!

I consider Like, Love, Caring, and Wow to be positive reactions to the finale. I consider Angry and Haha as negative reactions. The Sad reactions? I think those are positive. The one-star reviews are not just sad. They are angry or mocking. Many people who love the show are sad to see it end, even if they liked the finale. We may quibble about this, but I'm going with it.

So here's the percentage then of reactions:
    Positive: 93.1% (6407 of 6883)
    Negative: 6.9% (477 of 6883)

But let's say we quibble about the meaning of the "Sad" reactions - even though the ending was indeed sad, both in its content, and sad for the fans that the show is over, this doesn't mean they didn't love the finale. But let's say it's ambiguous enough that we actually go so far to say that *all* Sad reactions are actually negative reactions, that these people disliked the finale. I think that's ludicrous, but let's go with it:

Positive: 60.7% (4178 of 6883)
    Negative: 39.3% (2706 of 6883)

Again, I think that a "Sad" reaction to the finale does likely indicate that they feel sad about the character and the show ending, but is quite different from an "Angry" or "Haha" react. So I would put the actual percentages (of positive Sad vs. negative Sad) somewhere in the middle at the very least.

But either way, the majority of reactions from fans are positive, between 60 and 93%. I think it generally takes an angry person to log into IMDb and rant. I hear what you are saying, that there are definitely other series finales that did not divide fans this way. As I said in other posts, I think the subject matter of this show generally attracted a vocal contingent of fans that have different tastes and expectations than most fans of Breaking Bad and The Americans (the two best shows of all time, IMO.) And when people are angry, they'll go as many places on the internet they can find to express that. But I believe that the negative reactions are overblown when looking at rating sites. I think what I've put together here, my little thesis, represent data that shows that the majority of fans appreciated the finale.

@mrjinks I started writing this small dissertation before you decided to depart, so don't feel inclined to respond of course if you don't want to. I know you aren't a troll, I just think arguments get a little heated sometimes.

George Co-Stanza and mrjinks like this.
  2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

And I’m NOT going to counter your points because your points are points that I just plain don’t care about. Gauging the general consensus of the finale is irrelevant to me. It’s not going to change my opinion one way or another. All I have been saying is that using imdb as an arbiter of popular opinion is foolish. It isn’t comprised of a random sampling of viewers, it is volunteered mostly by the strongest opinionated. That is consumerism at work. If you have had any experience in customer service you would know that when a customer is satisfied you will rarely hear back from them, but if you mess something up, even the smallest thing you’re damned right you’re going to hear about it! The same thing goes for movies. People will feel cheated even if they download the show illegally from a torrent site. If they don’t receive exactly what they expect they give a 1 star review. So you can keep calling this site credible for reviews all that you want and I’ll keep calling it a sad joke.

Stormrider77 and D-rock like this.
  3. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

14,000 people. Note that the total audience for Dexter on Showtime was 3,000,000 viewers:

‘Dexter’ Finale, NFL: TV Ratings Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022 – The Hollywood Reporter

If only 14,000 people out of 3 million watched a show and thought it sucked, I'd say they're doing very well. There is this vicious trend nowadays of Toxic Fandom where people presume because they've invested 100 hours (or whatever) in watching a show, then they should have a vote in the creative direction of the show in terms of story, characters, and finales. But it's not true: the producers and filmmakers have total control of that. I think the producers and filmmakers would like for audiences to be satisfied with the show, but ultimately they have to make themselves satisfied first and hope the audience would go along for the ride. (BTW, 3 million is huge for a pay TV channel these days.)

To me, looking back, I think it was always going to have a downbeat ending. There was ultimately no other outcome possible for Dexter. Note showrunner Clyde Phillips has done recent interviews where he says the ending was written two years ago, so they always knew this was the direction in which they were headed. My guess is that that's how they were able to snag Michael Hall in coming back, because he knew it'd just be 10 episodes and out. Will he be back to play Harrison's "ghost dad" and advisor? Hard to day, but my guess is no -- they're going to quit while they're ahead.

5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Obviously Dexter: New Blood got great ratings for the whole season so the show is considered an overall success. The ending is what it is, better than the original series finale but still a bit underwhelming (IMHO). I think all of the negativity from the New Blood finale is stemming from the statement made from the show runner Clyde Phillips before the series started: “It’s going to be surprising, inevitable, and it’s going to blow up the Internet." He was certainly right about the ending being inevitable, predictably so at that. Surprising and blowing up the internet? Not so much. Of course the show runner used this statement to hype up the viewers to tune in to see New Blood and it looks like it worked. I think some were expecting the bombshell to be at the level of the Dexter Season 4 finale and it didn't happen. The show is done and it was certainly better than Season 8.

D-rock and mrjinks like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This thread is official a trainwreck. You would think we'd all be discussing what we think of the finale, not what people not on this site do, but I guess not. What's next, we discuss what people on Twitter think instead of posting our actual opinions? Oof.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Finally watched the finale last night. Predictable outcome but I enjoyed the journey.

Etienne Hanratty, D-rock and spanky1 like this.
  8. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Them driving off to LA without getting caught ...right. Surprised Dexter even suggested this. But then again, his chance of ever getting out of this was over when the cop got killed.

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Yep. He could have plausibly talked her into letting him go for solving the mystery of the missing women, but killing the cop doomed him.

Binni likes this.
  10. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Predictable?
    But we were hoping ...

Killing your father who loves you. The only family member you know. Wow.

Why didn't they kill off Dexter in a car accident. It happens.

Heisenberg died of cancer. But Breaking Bad still needed a movie. For the kid.

11. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Umm…he died in a shootout.

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Since Breaking Bad keeps for whatever reason coming up, I think the main reason why the finale gets as high marks as it does by the "fanbase" that inhabits imdb is because it plays out exactly the way everybody expected it to. In other words it was entirely predictable. Predictability can be fulfilling in some cases and for most people, but predictability isn't necessarily what is best for some characters in certain situations. I have a gut feeling, for instance, that the rating on imdb for that show would be considerably lower had Jesse also died at the end. The "fanbase" would have whined until the ends of the Earth guaranteed. (Heisenberg die? Of course. He had terminal cancer anyways. Cute, young, likable Jesse with so much to live for? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)

Jack D likes this.
  13. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I only ever envisioned 2 scenarios. Dexter ends up having to kill Harrison or the reverse.

mrjinks and D-rock like this.
  14. I thought the finale was well done and enjoyable. I have no desire to see another season based on his son.

Riktator and Texastoyz like this.
  15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I really have no desire to see the continuation with the son. Who's going to be his ghost? Dexter? Nope that's it, the story line is over for me. The finale was decent but I think they will have lesser returns if they choose to follow the son, the way he has been written.

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

It was an entertaining season. It helped erase the stigma of arguably the worst final season in TV history, but that is it. Time for Hall to move on. Perhaps he can travel to LA and open a Funeral Home for victims of serial killers. I don't think its been done.

tommy-thewho and mrjinks like this.
  17. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

You got it!

Yet you keep banging on and on about a show that you've said doesn't mean that much to you. A curious, and annoying, obsession of yours.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

So no one else thought for a second when Dexter says to Harrison "you left the safety on" and looked at him very creepily, that he might charge Harrison and get the rifle?

19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That thought honestly never entered my head. Once Harrison pointed the gun on him, I was 100% sure that he was going to kill Dexter right then and there and no dialogue or facial expression between that moment and the one where he pulled the trigger made me think any differently, but that's me. :)

fuzzface likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I thought, also for a second, that Dexter would run and Harrison would shoot him in the back.

spanky1 likes this.
  21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’m almost surprised that he pulled the trigger, honestly. The kid is angry and all sorts of messed up, but I never got the impression that he was a true psychopath despite all of the red herrings they threw in there (the subtle hint that he snuck into Audrey’s room to kill her rather than to make a booty call, for instance). Setting the other kid up was definitely extreme, but on the other hand he did make a kill list and so in a way Harrison likely did stop a school shooting. The potential was definitely there. But the thing in mind that sets him apart from his father is his love of animals. When Dexter was a kid he would kill all of the dogs in the neighborhood. Harrison had a pet goat. And when he was in the makeshift kill room he wasn’t aroused, he was repulsed. At the end, he was upset that his coach died and it was clear that he cared about his girlfriend when he asked her mom that he said goodbye. He was never going to become Dexter 2.0.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

My girlfriend was disappointed that there was no reckoning, no meeting/interrogation with Batista, no truly facing his past, no naming him truly as the Bay Harbor Butcher. I'm sure they considered it but decided against it. In any event, the producers/writers, etc. righted a big wrong (S8) and I applaud them.

However, I think they SHOULD have avoided calling it "New Blood". To me, that implies a "new" beginning, not just a "new" ending. I think that may have been misunderstood.

Dan

23. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I was a fan of the show when it first came out, watched the first 4 or 5 seasons and read the first 3 books of the series (stopped cuz i got divorced and didnt have showtime after relocating) but its been on my list to catch up on, i admit ive been reading stuff on New Blood cuz who knows when ill even have it available to watch since i Dont have showtime... but the finale actually surprised me. It was definitely one of those shows that suprised me in the fact I got hooked like i did.

24. Enjoyed it. Finale and all. Girlfriend liked it too. Can't talk for the 'masses'. Don't care about imdb ratings; just seems to be a bunch of unintentionally hilarious, sour faced whiners. Decent ending. Better than series 8. Some of the responses of people on imdb recited here show they obviously didn't understand the show or just like watching Dexter murder people.

Stormrider77, D-rock and SRC like this.
  25. puddin

puddin Forum Resident

I suppose one way to judge the finale as a success would be to look at all the debate it has caused. We wouldn’t be debating it if it wasn’t thought provoking at least. I had an interesting conversation with my wife out this. On some level, Dexter is a likeable anti hero and no one will be happy to see his character die or end up executed on death row for his crimes. On the other hand, you cannot continue year after year having him escape justice by the skin of his teeth, as much as some fans want that. To me, the key point is that under Dexter’s code, he is supposed to only kill people who kill innocent people and to the extent he does this, he can argue to himself and to viewers that he is essentially doing good…saving lives, etc. When Dexter kills and innocent person in order to escape jail in the last season, Harrison helps him to realize that he has crossed a line and has become the very person that his code was designed to kill. He has become the one who needs to be killed and in killing him, Harrison has now become the one who may or may not carry out the code in the future. Whether or not we see that in future seasons, with Dexter becoming Harrison’s conscious (as we saw with Deb and Harry) remains to be seen. I think this was a sensible way, if clumsy in some respects, to end Dexter’s arc

HotblackDesiato, SRC, mrjinks and 2 others like this.