Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Rufus McDufus and D-rock like this.
  2. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

Horrid and awful ending, and an overall gratuitous and useless Season 9 within the perimeter of its very same inconsistent story-arc.

I loved the "New Blood" season until this last episode. And the last episode reveals that: there's no higher meaning and no substantial purpose behind "New Blood". It has been just a commercial move to bring back the LOGO and make quick super-cash over the skin of the many fans that didn't "get" the greatness and the power of Season 8 and its ending. So sad and terrible.

SEASON 8 was bleak and brilliant, it was fascinating and full of mystery. It revealed more about the dark origins and nature of Dexter, as well as the psychopaths of his world/universe.
    The ending was sublime. At the very end, Dexter has finally turned into a half psychopath, half human anomaly, thus he is truly "feeling" the ENTIRE PAIN for the loss of the love of his life, the woman he always loved... his soulmate... DEBRA. The pain kills him inside.
    Eventually, after faking his death, Dexter condamns himself to live an empty life, as a shell of a man - no more a psychopath, no more a human person, just a shadow into the void forever.
    He will die as an old man, alone and forgotten.
    That's it. Sublime ending.

Also, bringing back the ONLY WOMAN he truly loved in his life, the only HUMAN PERSON he ever truly loved, as an antagonist "ghost" of his psyche is just lame and disrespectful towards the real Debra. That's just the first wrong step of "New Blood".

NEW BLOOD is an alternate universe to me, and one without sense, meaning or purpose.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
  3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What ending did you want?

4. The final episode of the original series was awful, simply awful. My wife and I jokingly broke into “I’m a lumberjack and I’m Ok.’ When we saw it. It entered Minty Python parody territory.

seacliffe301, EVOLVIST and mrjinks like this.
  5. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Total Recall meets Dexter:
    Actor, confused by playing the character Dexter for way too long, can no longer make the distinction
    between what's real and what's imagined, starts his own vigilante killings.

6. misteranderson

Dexter was on Showtime. No ads for “shiny things.” Usually a little trailer for the next episode at the end and maybe some promo for another Showtime franchise.

Timeline Man likes this.
  7. It's subscription based isn't it? You've paid not to have ads. Same thing.

unclefred likes this.
  8. misteranderson

Typical know-it-all response.

Again, what “shiny things to hoard in your house” was Dexter peddling?

Timeline Man likes this.
  9. Don't let facts get in your way.
    I'll indulge you.
    Well, for a start there's bluray / dvd's.
    Shiny enough?

10. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

Stopped by this thread. All I learned is Dexter fans are nuts!

rod and misteranderson like this.
  11. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I keep seeing this and wonder if the people saying it actually watched the show. He killed that cop on accident. Had him in a chokehold and the cop got his gun out and tried to shoot him with a backward shot which caused Dex to flex/tighten and break his neck. Pretty evident on every level. It's cool if u didn't like the episode or the show but not for THAT reason

D-rock and Isaac K. like this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Ugh. “True” fans are the most insufferable.

13. Timeline Man

I got your point, but the execution was bad.

1- Dexter would have never attempted to escape from prison. He had nothing to worry about. The LaGuerta Files were water. Baptista was his old friend. Angela had nothing. He was clear.
    2- Logan used his gun in a terrible way. No real policeman would attempt to kill an inmate in such a pedestrian way.

mrjinks, D-rock and Binni like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Actually, Angela had a pretty airtight case linking the ketamine from the vet to Dexter to the attack on the drug dealer to the murder of the manufacturer. Motive and means. And Logan was a small town cop with little experience.

15. misteranderson

Yes. No way Dex wiggles out of that situation.

One thing that could have been explored if there were a couple more episodes is the aftermath of Kurt and the missing girls case. But 10 episodes is all they had.

I do feel a little cheated by Batista not getting a face-to-face with Dexter.

D-rock and Binni like this.
  16. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

You have us confused with Dexter New Blood fans. People who liked the "worst finale ever."
    see #338
    Episode 9 was very promising...

The original Dexter...
    This is also surprising. (Sort by: Helpfulness)
    Dexter (TV Series 2006–2013) - Dexter (TV Series 2006–2013) - User Reviews - IMDb

10/10
    A Bloody Masterpiece!
    1,345 out of 1,471 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?

10/10
    Dexter Review
    ahmedgorshy14 November 2020
    176 out of 187 found this helpful.

10/10
    Addictive...had to get showtime after a taste on the freeview weekend!
    amcrawford30 October 2006

10/10
    One of the best series ever!
    UniqueParticle12 May 2021
    22 out of 22 found this helpful.

Dexter (original) 10 after 10 after 10
    Dexter New Blood got 1 after 1 after 1

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I always thought Batista and Dexter were best pals.

Can't see him turning on Dexter.

Timeline Man likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think the revelation that Batista was coming to town got inside Dexter's head a little and is what made him panic and bust out of jail that quickly. I suspect he didn't want to the shame of having to look Angel in the face, as he knew Angel was a good guy and someone who considered Dexter a friend.

19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

If Dexter's whole thing unraveled, and we end the show believing a lot of truth is about to come out, then Batista would realize that Dexter's secret life resulted in the violent death of several of Batista's innocent co-workers. What's at least likely on the verge of being revealed (regardless of what happens to Dexter) is the truth that he is the Bay Harbor Butcher. Batista's partner Doakes was framed for that, and mysteriously died. Then Batista's ex-wife, who was convinced Doakes had been innocent, that the Bay Harbor Butcher was someone else, was also murdered. There is no way that Batista would write this all off, just because Dexter fooled him for years by bringing him donuts and smiling a lot.

Batista and Dexter may have been good pals, but I'm sure I'm not the only one whose experienced situations where, once you find out a friend is not at all who you thought they were, it's an entirely different situation.

Stormrider77 and misteranderson like this.
  20. misteranderson

Batista and LaGuerta had a thing going for a little while. Lingering feelings for an old girlfriend who was murdered could have changed his mind.

Oops! Forgot Batista and LaGuerta were actually married.:hide:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    SRC likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I just binge watched the whole season over 2 nights, and I thought it was great!
    Kinda bummed out that it's the end of the road though with only 1 season.
    They really could have, if they wanted to, kept this going for more seasons.
    On the other hand, is that it?
    Do we wait another 8 years or so to get Dexter Jr?
    Surely they'll milk this cow a little bit more down the track...

Phil12 and bumbletort like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I would have liked it to be at least 12 episodes. Some unanswered questions and some more chance encounters.

Binni, Jack D and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. I got through 1.5 episodes and I just couldn't do it anymore.

I was expecting "new blood," but it just dumped on the same silliness that was the last season or so of Dexter.

mrjinks likes this.
  25. Timeline Man

This........... and a different ending.