Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The time of release is perfect on this - enough time has passed to wash away the disappointments tied to the last few seasons of the original series, and also to consider how this show could be wrapped up better.

Clancy Brown is a really interesting casting and I hope his role leads to more recognition.

The buildup style of pacing feels somewhere between the original seasons 1 and 2.

Those complaining about the writing need to watch seasons 7 and 8 again!

I think the series title gives more than enough clues as to where all of this is heading...

D-rock likes this.
  2. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

It's a real stretch to say that Deb and the new GF look alike, just don't see it. That said, the latest episode pushed it to far with the Deb appearances. Just a downright annoying distraction at this point.

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The thing is, Dexter getting outed as a killer in this season won't have nearly the impact that it would have in the original series, for a variety of reasons. For one, it is not realistic that his past as a killer would be discovered by the authorities, so being outed for a single murder would be a letdown, and for two, being discovered by the new people we are seeing won't have nearly the impact as characters we were invested in like Masuka, Batista, Quinn and Matthews finding out in the original series. Really, enough important characters in the original series did discover his secret (Deb, Doakes, LaGuerta) to where there is no need for it now.

Of your four choices, I think the most satisfying would be 2. Dexter going down for a murder he didn't commit would be some delicious irony, but a possible spinoff without Dexter would not interest me. This reboot wouldn't have interested me at all without Michael C. Hall. He is the straw that stirs the drink. Take him away and they've got nada, IMO.

4. DickieMorgan

DickieMorgan Member

Good points. They did not rule out that Dexter may be in future episodes. Maybe he would be the Harry to Harrison in his mind if there is a spinoff??

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I find it curious thatHall, being a pretty decent actor in my opinion, has not landed much outside of this and 6Feet. I doubt he would kill himself off. Money.

misteranderson likes this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Killing Dex off would be the most obvious, hacktastic thing the New Blood team could possibly do.

Hall was in the original cast of Bowie’s Lazarus. I imagine being one of the leads on 6 Ft Under and the title character in Dexter has been fairly lucrative for him, but you make a good point. I can’t think of anything else he’s been in either.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I do, and it must be intentional.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If they have his son pick up the tradition, Dex could end up in his father's role.

D-rock likes this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

I think he does a lot of theater. He can sing and dance really well, so it feels like that is his calling more than anything, but doing the occasional film, TV appearance and now this Dexter reboot keeps him living more than comfortably. All things considered, he's on a fairly short list of actors who have played TWO iconic lead characters on television. I am guessing he is more than satisfied with what he has done. :)

tommy-thewho and misteranderson like this.
  10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

He was one of the leads in the film ‘Cold In July’ which I thought was excellent.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

4 episodes in and I gotta say, it’s a snooze so far

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. Riktator

Okay, the first Deb part with the Dexter is a hero thing...enough already. And what was going on with the sound levels during the pauses in the dialong? Seemed like the background sound got really loud until someone spoke.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Noticed some wonky dialogue when the podcast chick was talking to the female sheriff in her office.

14. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

It’s not doing much for me. I’m close to bailing and rewatching the original series.

15. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

I am now on season 2 of the original series, it's not doing much for me either. Sort of unclear why so many people recommended this to me over the years.

16. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

We thought that was intentional at first, as though it was pounding surf or something, but they're at a lake, not the ocean.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Season 2 was my fav. BSU.

You probably won't like the rest of the show if Season 2 doesn't do it for you.

Binni and George Co-Stanza like this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

Agreed. As awesome as Season 4 was, I thought 1 and 2 were the best. If someone isn't liking those, there is no point in moving forward.

As for New Blood, last night's episode was pretty good, but this is definitely something I am really only watching now because I am invested. That podcast lady character seems like a caricature. Bad casting choice there.

D-rock, GentleSenator and Riktator like this.
  19. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

It’s pretty clear someone really screwed up the sound mixing on this episode.

20. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Yeah, sometimes it sounded like the ocean, others like some extreme compression had been applied.

21. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

RC: Have you noticed this strange audio artifact on these shows?

22. Riktator

23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Watched the new ep last night dvr'd from Dish and didn't notice any crazy audio issues (and I was expecting them) fwiw

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm disappointed so far. The first one was completely predictable. As soon as the cop told Dexter to get out of the car, I knew what was going on. And as soon as you meet the over the top frat boy like bro who wanted the big gun, you knew what was going to happen to him. And that he's shoot the buck. It did seem convenient that he was out hunting alone, though didn't it? Weren't he and his buddies there to go hunting together? And like you said, cliche' characters. As soon as they introduced the cops at the station, you could immediately guess which one would be competent and that the Reno 911 stache looking guy would be a doofus. And the oil company CEO? I expect Dexter will be knifing him in the name of environmental justice. Then might as well have given him a mustache to twirl when he's talking to the sheriff about her getting his helicopter for the search.

Neither do I. I'm puzzled by people saying they look that much alike. I mean, beyond female and brunette, I just don't see it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Only through the first two episodes, I'll catch up today. But the one thing that would make this really interesting was if Dexter's girlfriend turned out to be bad. I'm not sure, but wasn't the drifter girl who didn't have enough for a hamburger in ep1 the same girl who is now imprisoned and being watched in ep 2? Dexter's girlfriend gave her a tip on a shelter to go stay at. I doubt they would make her (the cop) actually evil, but it would be interesting.

I'm also skeptical that Dexter Morgan, who was exposed as a serial killer with a very long list of bodies, has managed not to be found by the FBI all this time. Yeah, he's up in a remote area, but there are tourists coming and going all the time. And ep 1 has him friendly and it seems like everyone in town knows him, so would know his face. If ever one of them saw a news report or sketch of Dexter, wouldn't SOMEBODY have recongized him and called in a tip? But that I can leave aside, suspension of disbelief and all, if the episodes are good.

D-rock and GentleSenator like this.