Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I looked up the credits, and it appears as if you are correct. Weird. I could have swore it was him when I heard his voice. I will have to watch it again.

I think with any TV show like this, you have to suspend a little belief. Some are those are a bit far-fetched, I agree.

Technically, Harrison should be about 12 now. He was around 4 when the show ended in 2013, but I know Hall had said in an interview that this is meant to be 10 years later, so they basically aged him by about a year.

GentleSenator and Timeline Man like this.
  2. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

I think that season 8 occurred after a lot of time since season 7. Dexter claimed that Harrison was 3 in season 7, but maybe it was "3 soon to be 4". So Harrison was 5 at the time the season 8 ended, and surely he looked 5/6, not 3/4 anyway!
    Since season 8 fictionally occurred in 2012, we must assume that Harrison was born in 2007.

D-rock and George Co-Stanza like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is it just me, or is this show moving very very slowly?

MrGrumpy and GentleSenator like this.
  4. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Never watched the original series. Is this reincarnation suitable to pick up where it starts or will the new series not make any sense? Thanks

5. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Agree 100%, and it has been that way all along. Dexter has usually been able to fight off any attacker yet isn't the most physical specimen. I always found it humorous that he left Miami for Europe, killed Lila, and returned home, yet no one wondered where he was for a few days. And of couse driving his boat into the hurricane, presumably a mile or two offshore and surviving a swim back...in a hurricane.
    Other than the Deb intrusions, I am entertained enough with the new season. As opposed to the upcoming Ray Donovan Movie...where Ray beats someone up, someone beats up Ray, Ray and Mickey continue their fight, and Bridget is Bridget. Dexter will get me through the holiday movie onslaught and then I can move on with The Righteous Gemstones in January.

Vidiot and George Co-Stanza like this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

More happened in the latest episode than in any other, if you ask me.

I'd say New Blood wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone who never saw any of the original run. Too many backward glances.

PabloFanques likes this.
  7. misteranderson

Michael C. Hall's 5'10" and not physically imposing in any way, but yes, he's a very adept fighter.

At some point in the first season, or maybe early in the second, there's a scene where Doakes corners Dexter and asks him why a blood spatter analyst studied martial arts. Something along those lines, anyway.

Vidiot and George Co-Stanza like this.
  8. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

The actor is actually 22! I figured he was at least 18.

D-rock and mrjinks like this.
  9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

And Harrison is a weed, but seems quite capable of taking down wrestlers.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I remember that. I think he tries to intimidate Dexter, has him up against a wall, and Dexter parries a few of his moves and doesn't back down. Doakes says something like "lab geek my ass" and walks off. And I think Dexter then worried he gave away too much about himself. I LOVED season 2. It was so good. I thin the show did make a point of letting us know Dexter studied some martial art, so he had some hand to hand skills for use in subduing victims.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Don't do that. Watch S1 and if you like that, you'll want to keep going. This season isn't good enough (imo) to be satisfying to long time watchers. It would be pointless to start here.

hophedd, Vidiot, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are you ever on the button with those constant intrusions by his dead sister. just totally and unequivocally unnecessary to the show, other than to give her a payday.

GentleSenator and agentalbert like this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

Yep. In addition to martial arts, Hall has always been a very fit guy. Even back in the Six Feet Under, you could tell he was a guy who lifted often, so with Dexter, he was a character who was physically strong AND knew martial arts. It is probably a safe bet that he learned martial arts to as to make it easier to subdue a victim he was attempting to bring down. I always loved that every time Dexter and Doakes had a physical confrontation, Dexter got the best of him. The shipping yard scene is awesome as Doakes starts it by sucker punching him in the stomach and within 10 seconds, Dexter has him completely at his mercy (until the worker shows up and Dexter releases his grip).

14. misteranderson

I have no problem with Jennifer Carpenter having a payday. It’s not like she’s being given much of a chance to act in this reboot. She’s a prop. Harry was a much more developed character in the original series than Deb is here.

brockgaw, Vidiot and MrGrumpy like this.
  15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know season 2 was about to air.

16. George Co-Stanza

Yep, she is basically getting what is probably a nice payday to scream and yell at her real life ex-husband.

D-rock and misteranderson like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No, they needed to give Dexter a conscience, but while the actor who played his father (the ghost) is still alive, they opted to use the sister instead, which I think was a good creative choice. The audience needs to be reminded that Dexter is crazy, and Deb is there to remind him how to act "normal" and also to help make the right moral choices at the right moment. So it's not so much about a payday -- I think it's about drama and conflict, and to give Dexter moral balance.

I concede this is true, and the show only works if you understand Deb's backstory prior to this series.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    D-rock, ex_mixer and Tom in Houston like this.
  18. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

OK. It got a little better tonight. Less nagging sister for a start. I'll leave it at that.

19. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

In my mind, the best episode of the season. Deb was there, but it wasn't an annoyance for a change, more as the balance and conscience like Harry provided. This is the first time I was left cursing having to wait a week for more.

ex_mixer likes this.
  20. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Am I the only one who thinks Julia Jones and Jennifer Carpenter are look-a-likes? They could be sisters. I wonder if that resemblance went into casting her.

21. misteranderson

This again? They don’t look alike at all.

22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

No:

I didn't see a dissimilarity, tbh.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    dmiller458 likes this.
  23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Doakes: I know you're too careful. You keep your assets in cash. You don't belong to any organizations or alumni groups. You were top of your class in med school but you traded it for f***ing blood spatter. I know you studied martial arts in college, but I don't know what a lab geek needs with advanced jiu-jitsu.
    Dexter: You know what an easy credit is?

D-rock, Vidiot and misteranderson like this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

Even though I am enjoying this, the one thing missing is the comedy relief. The original series always had so much funny moments, but this reboot is lacking big time in that department. Needs more Masuka. ;)

misteranderson likes this.
  25. misteranderson

Reading that made me try, and I can't think of one second of comedy in this one, aside from dry humor in Dex's internal dialogue/narration. Maybe Jamie Chung was brought in to offer a lighter presence in the cast, but she's more annoying than funny most of the time.

George Co-Stanza likes this.