Dexter - Season Eight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I take it you have seen all of the seasons. There are PLOT holes in all of them even the Lithgow season 4. Showing Zach covered on blood in Dexter's apartment would have ruined the element of surprise. It appeared he was just sitting in the chair until Dexter approached him and we saw he had part of his brain removed.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Oh, I got that. I just thought this was a stupider plot hole than usual.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really liked the idea of Dexter working with Zach but boom they killed that quickly...

This season could have been much better....

Vidiot likes this.
  4. ringosshed

We did too. A lot of people went quick.

5. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Probably because the kid who played Zach had to go become the teenage daughter's bf on Homeland season 3 -- sorta creepy!

6. tommy-thewho

What I missed most of this show was early on there was a lot more humor in it.

When Dexter was seeing the phychiatrist and he confesses to him he's a serial killer. That made me feel so good but I still have to kill you.

He shows up at his wedding with broken arm after dropping George King on the cop car... That was funny stuff man....

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think this last season was one of the weakest....and didn't even bother to watch the final episodes; it went from being a nice dark season opening to very slow-moving and boring.

8. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Finally finished Season 8 last night. It was a real chore to slog through -- though Hannah is certainly easy on the eyes. Worst season I thought. (Really disliked the one with Jimmy Smits as well.)

John S likes this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I agree with you completely, except I think that season might have been a bit worse, especially since it followed the roller coaster ride that was Season 2. I also didn't like the Julia Stiles season either.

Blair G. likes this.
  10. ringosshed

I loved both of those though acknowledge that Season 8 was probably the weakest.

11. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

They kinda run together but I seem to remember enjoying the Julia Stiles one.

Nice avatar, btw.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I really hated the last season. As bad as it was going though, the last episode/the ending made it cross over into "worst TV show that used to be great" category for me. I liked pretty much every other season but felt it was sliding downhill dramatically around S7. Even the Hannah drool factor (OMG that actress is gorgeous) couldn't redeem this boring, melodramatic, and utterly nonsensical train wreck of a season for me.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Okay ... just finished my marathon Dexter Season 8 session, and read the comments in this thread.

Apart from the sloppy writing already mentioned (no attempt at disguise by Hannah being the obvious example) I quite enjoyed this season. Maybe it helps to watch it all as one long episode, where one can see the dramatic arc building and developing within a shorter time frame. But I could see where the writers were headed this season, which roughly was what I was expecting: a return to Dexter's origins; his "cover life" becoming his real life; his chance at redemption by eschewing his "dark passenger" and realizing he does not need Harry any more; and his "sacrifice" to protect his loved ones.

I was kinda thrown by the appearance of Zak and the whole "passing the torch" theme, until the appearance of Hannah, which confirmed my suspicion about the season's direction. I think the season needed that darkness at the beginning to build up to the redemption theme at the end. I don't disagree with some of the criticisms of the writing, but I like how the story was resolved and how Dexter's character changed. Back in season one Dexter had no empathy, at the finale of season eight he's giving up his happiness by putting the interests of Hannah and Harrison ahead of himself (too many h's there, my own sloppy writing).

And the usual criticisms that apply to every season: subplots that go nowhere (Masuka's daughter); contrivances (Dexter borrows Jamie's car just so that the producer's can ditch something cheap into the lake instead of his expensive SUV); huge plot holes (many already mentioned here); etc.

As an aside, I did like the passing shot of an ice truck in the season finale :)

It may be that I rate this season well because it went as I expected, while others with different ideas on how it should have played out will bag it as "worst. season. ever".

--Geoff

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Re: Zak in Dexter's apartment with half his head missing:

Although in the season opener a body is found on the ground with nary any blood, and it is only when Dexter lifts the body that we find out the head has been deftly cleft in twain. If you buy that, then it's not that suprising that Zak can be propped up in a chair in Dexter's apartment with minimal blood.

--Geoff

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Couldn't have said it better.

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

In summary:

Season One: Ice Truck Killer - excellent
    Season Two: Lila / Doakes - excellent
    Season Three: Jimmy Smits - meh
    Season Four: Trinity Killer - excellent
    Season Five: Lumen - good
    Season Six: Doomsday Killer - pretty good
    Season Seven: [to be honest I can't recall what it was about other than Deb getting cranky then killing LaGuerta]
    Season Eight: Dexter grows up - good

--Geoff

17. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Great to see Dexter back on Netflix instant streaming... Just wish they'd have more than the first 4 seasons.

18. tommy-thewho

I felt the show started dropping after the 4th season so Netflix is good.

Tord likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great recap.

Too funny, like you, I can't remember now what Season 7 was either. I watched S1-7 in basically catchup marathon mode having only recently deciding to check the show out, then S8 as it was aired.

I would go this way with my ratings though:

Season One: Ice Truck Killer - mindblowing; one of the best series I've ever seen
    Season Two: Lila / Doakes - excellent
    Season Three: Jimmy Smits - excellent
    Season Four: Trinity Killer - fair - for some reason I was bored by long stretches of it, but the shock of the finale saved it for me
    Season Five: Lumen - excellent - I really liked the twists/possibilities of Dexter saving Lumen then getting sucked into helping her "TAKE IT!" (that is reclaim her life and get some kickass revenge)
    Season Six: Doomsday Killer - pretty good
    Season Seven: [to be honest I can't recall what it was about other than Deb getting cranky then killing LaGuerta]
    Season Eight: Dexter grows a beard and becomes a lumberjack - pathetic

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Was the main plot of S7 the Russian mob thing with Victor (or whatever his name was)? Because I did like that storyline.

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I think I read that the other 4 seasons are hitting Netflix in January or something like that.

Craig.

22. ringosshed

Most of the stores will have a bunch of Dexter seasons for around $20 on Black Friday.

23. tommy-thewho

Good news. I would like to pick up Seasons 1-4 on DVD.

24. tommy-thewho

Looking back I'm guessing Season 7 was mostly to set up Hannah and Dexter...

25. ringosshed

and kill a major character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.