Di-It-Yourselfers...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pigmode, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigmode

pigmode Active Member Thread Starter

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, that'll do. Any analog or digital (usually better) meter will do.

For soldering, use a Weller or any American hefty that can get quick fast and strong (Not many can stand up to a Weller). There's things to buy at RS, and there's things to avoid. Oh, PLEASE don't buy RS soldering units!

http://www.ceitron.com/solder/weller.html

I've bought heaters and tips from these guys. You can also find Weller TC201/202 stations, which are best for electronic work of all kinds. eBay always has a few for cheap!

Example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1764291907

This is what I use. Tips are interchangable, and if the heater goes (lasts 10-13 years) then call Ceitron.

Don't mess with the wrong soldering iron. BAD idea.

3. pigmode

Thanks. Can you recommend some tip configurations? How important is the variable temp feature? I currently have a standard blue 30w Weller.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'll vouch for a Radio Shack soldering pencil being sucky - the tips are pretty soft and distort easily. I just bought a nice Weller pencil and will fire it up to replace some resistors in my Dynaco PAS 3-X. Now, if I could scrape up the cash for a Fluke VOM...

5. Sckott

Does it use magnetic tips? A #7 is perfect. #8 is a little too hot, and also too skinny to work with most tube applications, but... use what you like. #7 works best for me.

I don't think variable temp is needed in this application. Never needed it.

My Weller's variable temp is controlled depending on what tip you put on. #7=700w, #8=800w and so on....

6. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Pigmode,

I built the Foreplay with a 30w Rat shack iron. it was a struggle on the Foreplay to get some of the multiple connections hot enought. Bought a 40w rat shack iron and it was a breeze to solder the Paramours. Also, the magnet wire varnish did not burn off for me (no 'solder pot'). so I filed off the varnish and tinned the end before the final solder. this procedure worked great.

FM

7. Sckott

This is exactly why a quality iron is crucial. I used a RS iron though a DIY project, and the tip burned into a deformed shape by the end of the day, and would never get hot enough. So I had to end something mid-way and it was Sunday at 8PM, so...I had to give up until I got something appropriate to solder with.

If you plan on doing more than one project, get a good iron. It pays off oh, so much. I got a used Weller and ended up buying a new heater for it. Even after that, it's WELL worth it.

8. pigmode

I decided on a Fluke as well. Toys.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.