Diana Ross General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MDNA4ever, Jul 10, 2020.

1. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees Thread Starter

Let's talk about Diana Ross! Feel free to post anything Diana Ross related

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It's your thread. Why don't you talk first? :)

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

What happened to all your other threads/posts?

4. Mr Snow

Mr Snow Forum Resident

Original albums include,

Diana Ross (1970)
    Diana! (1971)
    Diana Ross (1976)
    Ross (1978)
    Diana (1980)
    Ross (1983)

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

certainly a national treasure. big fan here, saw her in 2017 and thought she was amazing in voice and showmanship.

MotownLoverPhx, MGM, ejluther and 4 others like this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Let’s not...

Gasman1003, john lennonist and Moshe like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

It’s strange for how big a star Diana was, and how long she’s endured, that there’s not more love for her. Especially on here! So many great records, yet she’s just dismissed.

Rosewater, andy75, OberonOz and 9 others like this.
  8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Big fan here. I know many dislike her voice but she must be doing something right with so many #1 hits whether she was part of a group, duo or solo. Her Surrender album is an over-looked gem.

9. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Random fact: Diana Ross' Greatest Hits Live was the first CD I ever bought. Random because, while I knew her and had enjoyed Chain Reaction (the single) a lot, it's not like I was a huge fan. Great live album, though. :)

I've procured various albums and enjoyed a lot of her work over the years, from The Supremes through her more uninspired adult contemporary malaise in recent years (she's had some phenomenal AC tracks, but her later recordings tended to be a bit dull).

Funny story (at least to me): I've seen her live twice, but didn't realize it at first. I went to a concert in 2012 where she trotted out all the same chestnuts in the same set she always does these days, and I was a good 2/3 of the way through the concert before I started to get a sense of déja vu. Lo and behold, after getting home, I found the program from a concert a couple of years prior and it all started coming back to me. I'd done exactly the same thing then: gone to see her because she's a classic who's not getting any younger and may not be performing forever. I feel like you could take any concert she's performed in the last 20-30 years and they're all pretty interchangeable. Same hits, big hair, red ballgown, done!

I did laugh when I saw her live relatively recently as part of a birthday tribute (I think at an awards show - must have been her 75th?). The balloons fell and she just kept yelling excitedly "Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me!! Yaaaay!!" It was an authentic Diana Ross diva moment.

She's probably primarily a greatest hits artists to me overall - I've never done a deep dive into all her albums, but there are so many classic hits. Personal favorites:
    • Upside Down
    • Chain Reaction
    • When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    • If We Hold On Together
    • I'm Still Waiting
    • Touch Me In The Morning
    • Reflections

10. Bobby Morrow

A great many of her albums are patchy, but I enjoy all her music between Diana Ross (1976) and The Force Behind The Power (1991). All those LPs are different to each other too. She tried everything in the book did Diana Ross.:) I always really loved her voice, so I can listen to her tackle anything. I read somewhere she has a new album coming out this year. Hope so.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I generally agree and she is mostly a greatest hits artist for me too.

I started getting into her music in the early 90's when she released the Forever Diana boxset which covered her whole career. I also saw her live at that time - as a greatest hits show I was very happy that she performed many of the songs I liked. I have never really felt the need to see her again as I know she would probably have repeated many of the songs.

Although Forever Diana is my 'go to' set I do have a few original albums:
    Touch Me In the Morning
    Diana
    The Boss
    Experience
    The Force Behind the Power
    Take Me Higher

I would like to get more of her albums, particularly from the 70's.

I recently also picked up a Supremes boxset from a 2nd shop. I was particularly happy because it was one of the first pressings that came with a live album.

rfkavanagh likes this.
  12. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees Thread Starter

Why not?

ARK and Bink like this.
  13. rfkavanagh

I was similar to you in that, Chain Reaction and a general background awareness of her existence notwithstanding (Supremes, Michael Jackson, China Beach!), I didn't really listen to her material until the aforementioned 1989 Greatest Hits Live, and then 1993 when Forever Diana came out - although for me it was the one-disc version One Woman: The Ultimate Collection instead. Somehow, I've added a couple more random compilations since then (The RCA Years, Diana Extended: The Remixes, The Supremes' Christmas Collection), but the only actual studio albums I have are the Deluxe Edition of Diana, and then Blue and I Love You. She's kind of just never really on my radar, but if I happen to run across a copy of something I'll pick it up. I'd imagine her '70s output would suit me well, too - I do remember listening to Touch Me In The Morning on vinyl and enjoying that a lot, although I'm not sure who owned it. :)

I do like her voice - not a huge range and I wouldn't put her up there with the top tier, but she works well with the voice she has. But after a while listening I do sometimes wish it had a little more low end to it.

Bink likes this.
  14. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

My favorite of her solo albums is the Richard Perry produced Baby It’s Me. Slick? Sure. But the songs and performances are wonderful. Should have had a string of hit singles rather than a Top 30 and a couple that hit the top 50.

15. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Finally got to see her a few years back in Atlantic City and she was amazing. A true legend. One of the original Divas and I mean that lovingly.

Bink likes this.
  16. rfkavanagh

I don't even recognize any of the song titles on the album! Richard Perry worked wonders with Pointer Sisters a few years later, though, so I'm certainly intrigued. Just read that the album was released in an expanded edition in 2014 with 11 extra tracks, but only on Digital. :(

17. Bobby Morrow

Baby It’s Me is a good album. I think it was released as part of a twofer CD set many years ago. There was also a nice Japanese MLPS version in (about) 2013. No bonus tracks though.

andy75 and rfkavanagh like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I’d like to pick up the 1971 S/T CD. I’ve heard it’s one of her best albums. Amazon have it for £21, which seems unnecessarily steep. I’ll have a look around eBay.

19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

To me, her best album is and always will be her first solo.
    Perfect equation of the singer, the songs and the production.

innuendo141 and Jrr like this.
  20. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

I'll start by saying that "Baby It's Me" from 1977 is probably my favorite album of hers and that the album "Ross" from 1983, produced by Steely Dan's Gary Katz is extremely underated (maybe it's even in my top 5 by her). Cheers.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have always thought they should put several of the 70's albums on those '2 albums on one cd' releases.

As Bobby has been pointed out it can be expensive to buy some of these albums which are often little more than 30 minutes long.

Suncola and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

There were a few Diana twofers back in the day. Pretty cheap then. Not so much so now!

Bink likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Are you a vinyl man? I ask because her LPs are easier to find than her CDs. Only yesterday, someone had obviously had a Diana lockdown clear out in Barnado’s and there were quite a few of her 70’s & 80’s records in stock.

I honestly pity anyone who develops an interest in 70’s acts like Diana Ross nowadays. Unless you’re extremely lucky, chances are most of their albums will be OOP on CD.

bataclan2002 and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

She released a clutch of excellent singles in the early '70s. After Touch Me In The Morning though, it all went a bit aimless and autopilot until the Chic re-boot. After that I lost interest; although Chain Reaction was a great single. The handful of albums I've heard were very patchy.

25. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, after Touch Me in the Morning
    she had a #1 hit with the Theme from Mahogany, and #1 again with Love
    Hangover, and a total of 8 Top 40 hits after Touch and before Upside Down.

Here is the magnificent Love Hangover: