Did Amazon remove Marketplace prices from wish list display?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CURPLES, Mar 10, 2023.

1. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

...Yeah, I'd be the culprit :D
    Thank you for taking the time and report the issue in the most efficient way possible. I was hoping someone might do that, I just could not muster up the required energies. It's good you also took my advice re pointing them to this thread.
    Most grateful... I guess... Part of me was actually enjoying the forced abstinence :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Email sent

3. Elston Gunn

Elston Gunn Forum Resident

Wanted to chime in to say that I’m among those who are perplexed and frustrated by this change. Like others, I used to check my wishlist frequently for fluctuating used prices. When they disabled this feature in the app several months ago, I found a workaround on my phone by using the web browser and requesting the desktop view. So odd that they’ve removed prices even from the web browser now, including on tablets, laptops, and desktops. Like others, I suspect this was to drive business to Amazon itself and away from the Marketplace. Also like others, though, for me it’s doing no such thing, and I’m finding myself spending much less time and money on Amazon. In place of that, I’ve created tons of saved searches on eBay, and am checking that app lots more often, “watching” lots more eBay items, and ultimately buying more there. Hard to believe Amazon would continue with this change… but, then, it was months ago that they made the change on the app, and that’s persisted lots longer than I thought it would.

dirtnap101, fretter and GiorgioV like this.
  4. stjamesdawson

stjamesdawson Well-Known Member

Follow-up: After I contacted "[email protected]," I got an answer the same day. Unfortunately, it's bad news -- seeing the used prices of items no longer is possible. Here is the entire message I received:

This is Carolina, with Amazon Executive Customer Relations Team. You recently sent an email to us that has been brought to my attention and I look forward to assist you.

First of all I wanted to express my deepest regret for the time you have spent trying to get a proper resolution with regards to the "used or new prices" feature of items in your Wish List. I wanted to explain a couple of details that I consider are necessary to address your concerns and at the same time get a proper closure of the matter.

Our system is an automatic software consisting on applications that minimize the need for human input, that help us improve features and fix glitches whenever present in a much faster way than doing it manually. While we understand that in the past the option to visualize "used or new prices" was available on your wish list, the option is not longer feasible. I want to clarify that this is not a glitch in our website, it was just an update and since this are automatic changes we cannot reverse them manually. As you know in order to view the prices it is necessary to click on the "see all buying options" button at the right side of the screen.

I completely understand that this update can represent an inconvenience to you and other customers, and I'll gladly submit the matter for review to verify if any changes to this new update can be made. However, I cannot promise that the feature will be enabled.

Lastly, I also wanted to apologize for the false expectations you were given on April 7, 2023 when you first contacted us about the matter. We train our representatives on how to properly handle your issues, including how to escalate problems that they're unable to assist with. Your concerns weren't handled properly, and I've taken steps to ensure that this situation doesn't repeat itself. I've provided feedback to the representative involved and I've engaged their direct leadership team to take the appropriate action.

We value your feedback and realize your experience reflects on our company as a whole. Please know we'll continue to respond to these concerns and make improvements whenever possible.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do with regard to this matter. Responding directly to this email is the best way to reach me.

Most questions are answered in Your Account (https://www.amazon.com/your-account) or in our Help pages (https://www.amazon.com/help).

Our customer service team will be able to help if you have any remaining questions or concerns; please contact them here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Here are also our customer service phone numbers:

- U.S. and Canada: 1-888-280-4331
    - International: 1-206-266-2992
    - Tech Support 1-800-362-5703

They’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can always get a faster response or assistance by contacting our front line Customer Service agents.

5. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you again for taking the initiative on pursuing this. As you said though, just bad news. Looks like the change is permanent. I for one, will definitely be spending a lot less on Amazon as I do not have the time to click on 50+ different items each day. I guess that isn't a bad thing though. No idea how much I have saved, or not spent so far, but as of now, since this started, I haven't bought a thing from them. Again, I guess that isn't a bad thing. I'll just go after things I definitely want now, instead of just grabbing everything that looks like a good deal. It will give my scrolling finger a good rest too!

panasoffkee likes this.
  6. panasoffkee

panasoffkee Forum Resident

@stjamesdawson Thank-you very much for posting the reply you received. Carolinas response reads like a half condolence, half convoluted explanation. Can anyone please explain in simple terms why the "option is no longer feasible"? really it doesn't make any sense to me. It was a great system and certainly this is not, a new nor improved feature for customers. No one is going to click on every single item on their wish list. Sometimes a company should just leave things well enough alone.

7. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

This is madness :crazy:
    Thank you for giving it a try.

dirtnap101 likes this.
  8. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I had no idea the same feature had been disabled on the app months ago, since I've never used it (hate it, really), and I've always checked the website, even on my smartphone (desktop version). Clearly, that was an indication of things to come.

You know what pisses me off to no f#ckind end? The fact that any stupid choice any of the morons in charge (Amazon, eBay, whatever) make to scr#w up an otherwise perfect system is always, always to 'improve' the user experience. Bloody idiots.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  9. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I think this reply is a total cop out. I do not think it was intentional, it just happened after the "Automatic Software" updated and they realise it'll be difficult to fix. In my book what has happened is the definition of a "Glitch".

If we can get loads of people to keep complaining maybe they will take the time to "Manually" fix it!

10. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I’m not surprised by more features being removed. The music player has become worthless to users like me who purchased hundreds or thousands of tracks. Yesterday, I clicked on a band name in cd search mode, and it took me straight to the new Amazon music player, now without even the option to view physical formats. This seemed like a fluke but is probably something else about to be implemented across the board. Rant finished.

MC Rag likes this.
  11. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

The only thing that might convince them to revert this madness would be if it cost them a lot in terms of sales, much more than fixing their software. Oh, that and if someone at Amazon actually noticed the connection.

MC Rag likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Unless they start selling used laundry detergent, this feature is probably no longer part of their strategic priorities. What I mean is that they’re more of a household goods and clothing seller now, on top of their business to business computing services.

13. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Oh well, fine by me.

I've already started pruning my wishlists, reducing them to those very few items I'm willing to check individual prices (we're talking a number you can count on your fingers). Then, I guess I'll be buying more from Discogs or eBay if really needed.

For some quirk coincidence, this thing happened right after I had exhausted a buying frenzy of rare-ish items, and I had managed to get all of them for a very reasonable price thanks to the old wishlist (the last were Free's "Songs of yesterday" CD long box, Syd Barrett "Complete Syd" CD long box, Chumbawamba complete discography - like, really ALL of it, even the soundtrack - to name a very few that come to mind), and on and on.
    What I'm gonna do from now on is carefully avoid setting my mind on anything that does not fall into the 'new release' category. But I buy so few of those anyway, what with the dynamics systematic murdering.

To add mor@n to stupid, so to speak, the new Wishlist won't even show Amazon Warehouse listings... Man, that is so daft I can't even begin to grasp the presumed reasoning behind it.

So, like I've said, fine by me.
    And... rant off :D

panasoffkee likes this.
  14. Bones

Bones Well-Known Member

Hi. I joined up to share my experience and more importantly to suggest a workaround.

I too have seen Marketplace prices disappear from wish lists, initially when using Chrome and then a couple of weeks later using Edge. I contacted Amazon about it - was told initially that none of my 200 or so items on a wish list were available! Eventually I was told that it would be referred upwards and I would get a response in 48 hours, that was about a month ago and I'm still waiting.

Now the workaround. When I sign in to my Amazon account I can view my browsing history, and those items do show the lowest Marketplace prices (where available). I can view about 150 most recently viewed items (the number seems to be greater when using a tablet compared to my laptop - I don't know why).

I suggest therefore that you view each item on your wish list, thereafter they will be in your most recent browsing history. I suspect items will drop off the browsing history automatically after a period of time, perhaps a few months. Also, you need to take care that you don't exceed the limit of items (circa 150). Every time you view an item it will be added to your browsing history potentially removing your oldest viewed item. You can however remove items from your browsing history on an individual basis or switch off the automatic adding of items to your browsing history.

I hope this will help a few people.

panasoffkee, MC Rag and GiorgioV like this.
  15. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Just checked it out. From what I can see, Marketplace prices appear only when there is no availability from Amazon. Amazon Warehouse items are not shown.
    Not gonna work for me, sadly. But thank you.

16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Thanks that's really helpful. Works for most items in my wish-lists but not all, but will do for now.

What I really want to know is how NSYNC - Greatest Hits CD got into my Browsing History! :)

17. Semolina Pilchard

Semolina Pilchard Forum Resident

Here's another workaround, if you have a shorter wishlist and don't mind spending a few minutes setting it up --

I have 20 or so items that I'm most keen to track. So I set up a new profile in Chrome, opened a new tab for each item page on my wishlist, then saved those 20 tabs for whenever I launch the profile.

It took about 10 minutes to set up, and now whenever I want to check the wishlist, it's one click to open the profile, then 20 individual clicks to close each tab after checking the prices. So, about a minute to "browse" the wishlist, start to finish.

More laborious than scrolling the wishlist used to be? Absolutely. But faster and less irritating than clicking into every item page individually from the wishlist.

GiorgioV likes this.
  18. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

... more than a 'workaround', this is the handyman approach to the issue :D
    I did just that last week, on Firefox. It might not 'feel right', but it's very practical :D
    But I still haven't found a way for that to work on a smartphone, not with Firefox.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I've got this "Browsing History" method fine-tuned and now I have to say it's a faster and clearer way to check things than the old wish list. So thanks again Bones!

20. CURPLES

Thanks for posting this. I checked this method out and unless I have something set wrong, it Only shows Marketplace prices if it is Not currently available from Amazon, or even just shipped by Amazon.

Everything else just shows the current Amazon price and I have to open the listing to see lower third party seller prices.

If Amazon does not have it in stock at all, and does not ship out for a third party seller, then I see the listing as "X offers from $Xx.xx"

MC Rag likes this.
  21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Think you might be right there. My wish-lists are mainly full of obscure CDs and Books that Amazon itself doesn't have for sale so it works for me - I get to see when Third Party Sellers newly list an item.

22. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Precisely.

CURPLES likes this.
  23. CURPLES

To clarify something about my original post - It seems that what I posted is correct thanks to verification from other members, but it is still a better option than the Amazon wishlist itself. The wishlist does not even list marketplace prices at all. You would have NO idea anything was even available at all through Amazon even just from third party sellers. So in essence, this work-around that was posted by Bones is a little better, even though it still falls short of what the wishlist used to be. At least now, you can see if anything is even available at all, which you can't even see on the old wishlist anymore. I'll use this method moving forward unless the origianl wishlist is corrected, or something better comes along. Thank you Bones.

24. CURPLES

And, thank you GiorgioV for pointing this out already. Seems I missed some posts and you already spelled all of this out. Don't know why the alerts thing seems to work sometimes and not others...

GiorgioV likes this.
  25. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I'm more for the solution described by briankettle. I have set a couple dozen tabs for my most wanted items to load when I open my browser. Not elegant perhaps, but very practical, and it works. Just today, I managed to buy a Garfunkel Japanese CD release that had been on my wishlist for quite a while.