Did any soundtrack particularly define your childhood or adolescence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James I, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

The Batman soundtrack (Michael Keaton as Batman) by Prince was mine. First album I ever bought. Pretty sure from a tape mail order club. I loved that movie so I think it was more about the movie than the music but I did listen to the tape a lot.

2. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Oliver! I liked it but I just couldn't get away from it. My parents watched & loved it & the songs. My school did too. I always passed voice test so had to sing in music class & join choir. We had to sing the songs for Oliver! In fact, the 1st ever part I had to play was a flower-seller in Oliver! & I only got to do that because they wanted a few good singers on stage being flower-sellers & buyers. (I never got a chance to act before because all the best singers had to join choir. In school nativity plays I got to do choir as well. I'd have loved to be Mary or a shepherd or even an angel but no, I had to be in the choir instead because I passed voice test.) All I had to do was glide gracefully across the stage, pretend to sell flowers & sing "Who will buy?". I like Oliver! don't get me wrong but I got sick of it after a while. Having a break from it made me appreciate it again.

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Over The Edge (1979)

Cheap Trick, The Cars, Van Halen are the highlights:

[​IMG]

4. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

A Hard Days Night and Help

hi_watt likes this.
  5. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:agree:

EG.

Spazaru likes this.
  7. rod

rod Senior Member

How The West Was Won (1962) - it was like learning family history.

8. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Saturday Night Fever. Used to replace my regular bedroom lightbulb with a black light every saturday night and watch my black light posters come alive. Added some tinsel garland to the light for a quasi-disco ball effect.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

The Angus movie soundtrack

[​IMG]

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  10. MayoStudenT

MayoStudenT Leonard Cohen Fan

I listened to Natural Born Killers a lot when I was a little older. Oh and the original Twin Peaks soundtrack almost every night.

11. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

This one certainly did:

Considering that the original Command and Conquer soundtrack cover quite a number of sub-genres from metal, orchestral, electronic, hip-hop, industrial, pop, and ambient, I'd say it's responsible for massively develop my taste in music when I was 12-13 years old.

12. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Jesus Christ Superstar
    Stand By Me
    Almost Famous

mr. steak likes this.
  13. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Summer of '42, Dr. Zhivago, and later, Saturday Night Fever. Discovered I like my music dramatic.

14. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I can only think of individual songs that defined my adolescence. "Rock and Roll Radio" by the Ramones came out long after that time had passed but the line, "Do you remember lying in bed
    With your covers pulled up over your head? Radio playin' so one can see" was exactly what I was doing from the ages 10 - 13 as my folks didn't approve of rock. I, of course, was addicted.

"Schools Out" and "Smokin' in the Boys Room" were more timely tunes that defined characteristics of my adolescence coming out when I was in Jr. High - I was dead-center in the market for those records.

15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This holds up as a super solid pop punk comp. plus that marching band arrangement of the love spit love song!

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  16. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

My childhood was The Sound of Music. In my teen years probably Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

notesfrom likes this.
  17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

The Sound of Music is my fave musical and my intro to organ music - my mom had the organ music book. It was also my intro to music notation in general. She taught me how to read music from that book.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yellow Submarine - my first film and first album at age 3

g.z. likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hard to pick one but Purple Rain was a good one.

20. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

'Tommy', the Who

issued in `69 though still hugely popular in `74 , played as the soundtrack to the summer of my 13th year

before that it was 'Magical Mystery Tour', discovered when I turned 8 y.o. , and before that one was 'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud' by Miles Davis, the 1958 album featuring the musical cues for the Louis Malle film of the same title - though at an early age I didn't know it was music from a film, only that my mother played it frequently and I became familiar with it, actually liking it even at the age of 4or 5.

Old Rusty likes this.
  22. g.z., citizensmurf and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Old Rusty likes this.
  24. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Two immediately spring to mind, and both are little known and highly recommended.

Both came into my life when they were new and freshly released, and both are still among my absolute favorite soundtracks ever -

'Heartbeeps' ( 1981 ) by John Willaims.
    Fantastic blend of synthesizers and full orchestra in this playful, beautiful, and at the same time gloriously unknown score by the Master.
    Seek it out....NOW!

'Animalympics' ( 1980 ) by Graham Gouldman
    Great songs, great musical scoring.
    Absolute unknown gem.
    Highly recommended.

-

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  25. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Could be Back To The Future, purely for my obsession with Huey Lewis & The News growing up as a kid. Into my later teen years, it became the Jerry Maguire soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.