Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreamersball, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamersball

dreamersball Active Member Thread Starter

Queen performed many times from 1970-1986. Did anyone take in a tape recorder, photo/film camera? Would love to hear from anyone with a story or memorabilia!

cs2003 and hiterss like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

3. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

Saw them at Slane Castle Dublin in July 1986 on The Magic tour. I was 12 and it was my first concert. Not a bad start to my concert-going experiences. While my memories of it are pretty sketchy now, I remember them starting with One Vision and I remember being overwhelmed by the huge number of people there. Apparently, this specific concert has gone down in Queen's history as being particularly drunken and raucous - hardly surprising when you have 80,000 Irish men and women drinking all day in the summer (EDIT - oh yeah, it did rain quite a lot that day). Here's what Roger Taylor had to say:

"That one was pretty hairy, from what I remember," he told the Irish Independent in 2013. "I mean really hairy. The size of the crowd was incredible. There was so much mud and drunkenness. Freddie stopped the show at one point. People had been there for hours and dehydrated from drinking. Well, it's rock 'n' roll, isn't it?"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I wish I went!

Archon likes this.
  5. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

1982 Maple Leaf Gardens, no stuff to share

hi_watt, Sean and Sear like this.
  6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Unofficial T-Shirt from Knebworth '86. I'd seen them the previous Summer too at Live Aid :)
    [​IMG]

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

We had tickets to see Queen open for Mott The Hoople on May 28/74 here in town. Of course,
    Brian May got sick several days earlier and the band was dropped from the tour. We got Frampton's
    Camel as a replacement. I never did see Queen in concert.

8. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Check out queenlive.ca, it's a fascinating dive into their live history, with set lists, bootleg info, pics, memorabilia, fan stories... highly recommended for the Queen anorak.

ex_mixer, warewolf95, Jo B and 4 others like this.
  9. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

I had a ticket to see Queen at Knebworth in 1986, but couldn't go and as a result never got to see them live :(

warewolf95 and NunoBento like this.
  10. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Oof, that's gotta hurt still :(

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Is this the concert where their usual 'God Save The Queen' finale was replaced with a recording of 'Danny Boy'?

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

First saw them in early 1977, then I saw them on each US tour through 1986. Also got to see them once with Paul Rodgers and a couple times with Adam Lambert.

13. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Yes February 10,1977 with Thin Lizzy opening at the Providence Civic Center. General admission, on the floor. Amazing.

14. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Saw them in '86 I think (on the Magic tour). Remember there were massive protests outside the arena because Queen had played in Sun City a year or two before. The concert itself was ok but I wish I'd seen them live during their prime (imo between '74 and 78). But better than not having seen them at all I guess.

Sorry, no pictures or recordings.

15. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

We saw them on their "A Night at the Opera" tour at the Beacon Theater but no recordings or photos... just a ticket stub which I still have in a small box somewhere.

Mickey2, cmi, GoodKitty and 1 other person like this.
  16. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

It certainly does. Since then I go to every gig by bands I like that I can.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I was there too. Stone cold sober

Bulsara likes this.
  18. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

March 1975, Miami Marine Stadium

cmi, GoodKitty, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Anyone who says yes, I am infinitely jealous.

People love to be like "what's the first thing you'd do if you had a time machine? I mean, after killing baby Hitler?" and my answer is always "go see Queen in 1986."

Ludger, Carlos B, Archon and 7 others like this.
  20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

yes, people went to Queen concerts in that timeframe

Ludger, Chew and GoodKitty like this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Uris Theater 1974 opening for Mott The Hoople. I was(still am) a huge Mott fan, but Queen blew them away that night.

yesstiles, Archon, Jonny W and 6 others like this.
  22. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

Went to see them in Cardiff Castle in 1976, walked out before they came on, in absolutely hammered down with rain, literally soaked through to my skin. Said to my brother we'll see them again. I did, saw them at Live Aid '85 then, the next year at Wembley, then the following weekend in Cologne. My brother saw them at Knebworth the same year.

Juggsnelson, NunoBento, cmi and 2 others like this.
  23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I saw them in '79 on the Crazy Tour at the Glasgow Apollo still probably the best live gig I've ever seen.

yesstiles, Archon, NunoBento and 4 others like this.
  24. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Saw Queen at the Boston Garden back in July 1982. Boston's Mayor declared it "Queen Day" in the city (a DJ from WBCN read the official proclamation before the show) and after a solid opening set by local hero Billy Squier, the band were pretty damned great. The setlist was heavy on the Hot Space album, but still packed with standards like "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" "Get Down, Make Love" and of course, "Bohemian Rhapsody" (among others). The ancient Boston Garden lacked air conditioning and while stifling, the sweat and smoke made the arena feel like the world's largest dive bar.

What really stood out was getting a chance to see the roadies put together the lights and sound that afternoon before the show started. My uncle was a roadie and had some friends working the show. For the price of a pizza, he offered to take my buddies and I in to see the stage setup. Sadly, no Queen members were around, but it was still exciting to see the crew assemble, then hang the massive lighting rig and sound system.

It's a damn shame Queen wouldn't tour America again.

25. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Slane Castle looks like a monstrous concert from that news report, wish I'd gone, not a hi-vis in sight, not much health and safety, the good old days of concerts.

NunoBento, Sean, anth67 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.