Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreamersball, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Stockholm?

2. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

If you work out how to upload, put them on the Interesting Photos from rock history thread!

3. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

1979, 1980, 1982, 1984 and 1986

Archon and thetman like this.
  4. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I didn’t, but in 1972, a few months before we met, my wife saw Queen supporting Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour.

Not a bad double bill.

5. Saw them with Paul Rodgers is Atlanta with wife and son. Came away marveled at how clear and strong the sound was and just amazed at how much power they projected. A band and crew that just really knows how to do it right. Incredible Dragon Attack.

6. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

Syracuse, NY -- September 24, 1980
    We managed to move up to the second row and during the set closer Tie Your Mother Down I handed Freddie the crutch of a schoolmate (broken leg) and he air-guitared around the stage during Brian's solo, then nicely gave it back to her.

Denver, CO -- August 30, 1982
    One of their last ten shows in the U.S. Thank god we have the Milton Keynes video of that tour -- loved how they opened with Flash into We Will Rock You.

From Syracuse 1980:
    [​IMG]

7. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

What a great photo!

8. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

'74 and '76. Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT. My friend caught one of the roses Freddie tossed to the audience at the '76 show.

9. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Your recollection is identical to mine. I was 4th row floor, and it was hot as Eff. The upside was my girlfriend's clothing got rather clingy due to perspiration. WBCN's Mark Parenteau was the DJ that read the proclamation from then mayor Kevin White's office. Billy Squire was pretty good(sound horrible)as his band had two great players; Bobby Chouinard on drums and Jeff Golub on guitar(RIP both men). Queen's sound was incredibly loud, but clean. For the time the lights were state of the art. All around great show that still ranks as one of my top 5.

NunoBento and bostonscoots like this.
  10. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I recall that Bobby Chouinard's set was off center to stage right. Great damn photo!!!!

11. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I was lucky to see Queen at Wembley Stadium in 1986.

I worked for a UK commercial radio station and before stereo TV there was a hook up such that Channel 4 showed the pictures and the stereo sound was broadcast on many local commercial stations.

The BBC had done this many times before, but not commercial radio.

My station got a couple of freebies, so I went with my girlfriend.

We had passes to the backstage Hard Rock Cafe and mingled with Status Quo and Spendau Ballet (Tony Hadley trod on my girlfriend's foot. He did apologise!)

When Queen arrived at the stadium everyone (including the other bands) were cleared from the backstage area.

We watched the gig from the stands at the side of the pitch, and even after all these years the memory of looking down at everyone on the pitch with their arms in the air doing the Radio Ga Ga handclaps brings the goosebumps out.

Freddie had 70000 people in the palm of his hand.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    FACE OF BOE, Archon, Binni and 6 others like this.
  12. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not my photo unfortunately but I was there and somewhere in the middle of the throng between the lighting tower and the stage. I went with my uncle and we got in quite early and positioned ourselves somewhere in the middle where we got a good view of the whole stage. Of course when it filled up we ended up getting pushed even nearer the front.

This was the one and only time I saw Queen and they were excellent, this was of course after Live Aid and I expect the audience contained some newer Queen fans but Freddie ruled the day as ever.

Interesting anecdote... The 'plus support' should have included INXS but there tour bus had broken down so they couldn't get there. The mighty Quo played an extended set instead which at the time seemed a popular choice as not sure back then how well known INXS were to the general masses, I for sure don't remember knowing much about them at the time. Of course in hindsight it would have been amazing to see them as well.

13. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Saw them at the Birmingham NEC on The Works tour July '84 (I think) with a couple of mates from sixth form - it was a coach trip from Way Ahead Records in Nottingham, and a great time was had by all. It was my first 'big' concert and I remember it seeming very loud from halfway down the arena. I seem to remember the support as Public Enemy.

Then saw them again at Knebworth Aug '86, with the same mates, again on a Way Ahead coach excursion. Remember parking miles away in Stevenage and walking through the town to get to the field. Got a great view from the top of the rise, just on the lip of the dell in front of the stage, by the mixing desk tower. I know I'm on that photo from the Live Magic sleeve somewhere!
    Odd day with some odd support - Belouis Some got bottled off and Harvey Goldsmith had to come on to ask the crowd to calm down, then it was Status Quo, Big Country, before Queen in the evening.
    Coach driver got lost somehow coming back up the A1 from Stevenage to Nottingham and we didn't get home till gone 3am. Rock N Roll!

Feel very lucky to have seen Freddie twice - and John Deacon too.

Also went to the 1992 Wembley tribute gig - amazing line-up.....

14. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Yes. Don't know if the protests and media focus on the Sun City thing was the cause, but i thought the band, especially Freddie, were not in a very good mood.

15. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Hmm - not Public Enemy, but General Public - and it was Aug 84 at the NEC, not July, my mistakes!

georgwithoutane likes this.
  16. GlenTheEd

GlenTheEd Well-Known Member

1975 Bristol Colston Hall. Still got the programme tucked inside my copy of A Night At The Opera.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wow! I bet it was just like a 60s Beatles concert!

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I recorded that from TV and radio at the time. Was it Tyne Tees filming it?

Also, do you know if the overdubs to this concert were done for the TV and radio broadcast or later on?

19. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Well I'm guessing Mr McCartney made an appearance near the end of the show... :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

I wonder can any of SH forum members see themselves on the Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium 11-12 of July 1986? :)

cs2003 and Man at C&A like this.
  21. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Never got to see them as the band stopped touring the US when I was too young. However, this recent discovery depresses me.

In July 1986, my family took a trip to London for 8 nights. Just a few months ago, I was reminiscing about that trip, and wondered what shows I could have possibly seen, but didn’t.

I did some research using setlist.fm to look at the shows that were happening in London that week. When I realized that I was in town at the same time as the Wembley Stadium gigs, I wanted to cry!

Yeah I would have only been 11 at the time, but I was right there and could have gone. I had no clue! Thanks mom and dad! :realmad:

Miles1968 and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a shame Led Zeppelin didn't, they'd have been incredible if they got someone like that guy from Genesis to fill in on drums. What could go wrong...

Phil147 likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If it makes you feel better you probably wouldn't have got tickets anyway. They sold out very quickly.

24. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

It's really funny that this thread should come up now, as an old friend of mine had just placed a post on his Facebook page about the first Queen concert we saw, very shortly after the release of the "A Night At The Opera" LP in the United States (20 February 1976).
    [​IMG]

According to the Facebook post, the set list (which from my memory seems pretty accurate) was as follows:

SET LIST
    Procession
    Bohemian Rhapsody ('Rock Section' only)
    Ogre Battle
    Sweet Lady
    White Queen (As It Began)
    Flick of the Wrist
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Killer Queen
    The March of the Black Queen
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Reprise)
    Bring Back That Leroy Brown
    Brighton Rock
    Son and Daughter
    The Prophet's Song
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Doing All Right
    Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
    Keep Yourself Alive
    Liar
    In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited

Encore:
    Now I'm Here
    Big Spender / Jailhouse Rock
    God Save the Queen

They were absolutely amazing, and while they were somewhat popular in the US at this time (with both Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody doing pretty well on the charts), the record had just been released a few months earlier, so it was still relatively new.

As the year (1976) went on, "A Night At The Opera" kind of exploded and became more and more popular in the States, so that was really the last time they toured mid-size theaters here. It was arenas from then on.

If I recall I was about 15 rows back / center from the stage. I saw them several times after that at various arenas in the tri-state area, but this concert was really special. I was really glad that I got to see them in a relatively small venue (about 3000 seats) with great acoustics.

[​IMG]

(Saw the ELO and Sweet shows from the above ad as well)
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.