Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreamersball, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The TV and radio hook up were live weren't they?

Or is my memory failing me?

2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I'm a Brit and was a big rock fan from '78 onwards. My recollection is that rock fans weren't into Queen; they were just seen as a mainstream pop band.

My mates, and kids at school, were into Rush, AC/DC, UFO, Lizzy, Priest, Quo etc. Nobody ever said "Queen are touring" or "Queen have got a new album out".

Somebody buying a Queen LP would just as likely be picking it up alongside the Grease soundtrack at the same time.

OK, that's harsh. Maybe ELO or Rod Stewart.

Shawn and twicks like this.
  3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I saw them open for Mott the Hoople in 1974 in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania. Now that's a double bill, isn't it? . I'm much more of a Mott fan, however that night belonged to Queen. I was a senior in high school. One of the distinctive memories of that night had nothing to do with the music. There was quite a bit of pushing to get into the show. My friends and I were in the middle of the crowd. Suddenly there was a loud crash, like glass breaking. Sure enough, a few of the fans went through the plate glass front door. It was a bit of a mess. The show went on anyway. What a show it was. It's still one of my favorite concerts ever.

Sean, NunoBento, ralphb and 1 other person like this.
  4. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

25% of The Beatles played that day as well. Most of his set consisted of a piano instrumental version of Let It Be.

5. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i saw queen in philadelphia on what i am sure was there first tour of the states in the early-mid70's. my memory is being a smallish venue and they were mindblowing.

6. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Like many others in the US, I saw Queen open for Mott the Hoople with about 400 guests in the old Travel & Transportation building on the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds back in April of 1974 for $4. I was 16. I'd never heard of Queen until then, being their first US tour. They didn't look like any other band I'd seen before, Freddie in a black & white jumpsuit, Brian standing up like a giant on that small stage. And they all had big hair. ;o)

faceinthecrowd and ralphb like this.
  7. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I would pay big bucks to see Public Enemy opening for Queen!

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

Greg Gee likes this.
  9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm a Brit and was big into Queen alongside AC/DC, Zep, The Cult, Guns, Van Halen, Maiden etc.

Archon likes this.
  10. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I did see Public Enemy open for U2 in 1992. Weird combo.

georgwithoutane likes this.
  11. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Great show, but my lasting memory of the day is when Quo ripped out a guitar solo, one fret out of tune ! They were probably too out of it to realise but funny how the little things stay in the memory.
    Also saw them at Wembley, a week or so before and thought that was a much better gig. Knebworth was just toooo vast a location...

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  12. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

They played OKC on the 19th of April and if you search google with 'Mott the Hoople Oklahoma City April 1974' a Pinterest link comes up with a photo of Freddie and Brian on stage at that show.

13. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

I was fortunate to see them twice in concert. The first time was on December 3, 1978 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto Canada; That was my first concert I have ever seen. The second time I saw them was on August 30, 1980 at the CNE in Toronto Canada.

14. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

Three times. The Works tour at Wembley Arena with Rick Parfitt from Status Quo coming on for a guest spot. I think they did Johnny B Goode and Brian May looked a little out of his comfort zone! Support was Quo and General Republic (the band that rose from the ashes of The Beat/English Beat (depending where you are reading this!).

2nd was Wembley Stadium on the Magic tour. INXS (making their way then), The Alarm, Status Quo in support. I remember this as one gig where all the supports had limited time so not much deadwood in their sets. Also, I think this was the first time I'd heard Freddie start singing alternative vocal lines for some of the higher notes that were a little out of reach. The other thing was the sound - very powerful.

3rd was the special day that was the Mercury Tribute concert in '92. A unique event that, apart from anything else, made me think that George Michael might have been a natural successor to Mercury if he'd fancied it.

NunoBento likes this.
  15. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

One of those legendary shows where I wish I could be transported back in time to have seen!

16. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I saw them at MSG touring the Jazz album. Highlight was the dozens of virtually nude women on bicycles on stage - forget whether it was during Bicycle Race or Fat Bottomed Girls. They were fantastic.

17. Yes - twice. As far as I'm aware there is no audio remaining/available from either show, although I haven't looked very hard to be honest.

November 19th 1973: Wolverhampton Civic Hall - support act to 'Mott The Hoople'

November 18th 1975: Bristol Colston Hall - Headlining.

The second occasion in Bristol, I was part of the local 'roadie team' who would get jobs at the Colston Hall, get paid and get a free ticket to the show.

The way we were treated by different bands' entourages was very enlightening.

The Queen team were pretty much okay, although there was clearly no love lost between some of them and Freddie M., with one of them performing a highly entertaining couple minutes' routine prior to the afternoon sound-check centred on FM's requirements and instructions about the placing of his piano stool. Brian M. was on stage at the time and seemed to enjoy the moment too.

We had a bit of hassle at the end of the evening when the promoter tried to claim that he thought the agreement was to pay £5 in total for our work (there were 6 of us) rather than £5 each. Several of the travelling road-crew intervened on our behalf and we got our money.

Best Wishes,
    David

18. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I saw them four times: A Day At The Races, News Of The World, Jazz, and The Game tours. I have photos from all of them.

dreamersball and NunoBento like this.
  19. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Festhalle, Frankfurt, May 14,’77
    Coliseum, Charlotte, August 13, ‘80

Both shows in my Top 10 ever.

In Frankfurt, we were setting on the floor (literally) waiting for things to begin. There was no opening act (at least none that I can remember). On the PA, they were playing a compilation of Beatles songs. Every time a new song would come on, the arriving crowd would go nuts with cheers and applause. I can’t recall any other concert I’ve attended where that happened.

NunoBento likes this.
  20. Mark From Eire

Mark From Eire Forum Resident

They were the first international band that I seen live and I seen them live twice RSD 1979 & Slane 1986

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NunoBento and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They weren't, they both had adverts. I think it was a few days later.

I might have it on DVD-R, I'm not sure.

Nobby likes this.
  22. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

As a young 'un I saw them at Birmingham NEC in 1984 and Maine Road, Manchester in '86.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Yes, I did - in the early 80's in Gothenburg, Sweden.

24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

It was on near xmas I think. I videoed it and recorded it off the radio.
    Quo's End Of The Road tour from Milton Keynes was on tv that xmas too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, we recorded Quo too, I think before then though, before Live Aid. I was saddened by Quo splitting up as a kid. Little did I know they'd be back, looking crap and sounding dreadful not long later! I'm glad the did though. I saw them a few times in the 2000s including the classic line up reunion. Awesome! They never let you down live. I miss Rick Parfitt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.