Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreamersball, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

She is mistaken. Queen did not support Bowie at any Ziggy show, or on any other Bowie tour for that matter. In fact, the only time they were on the same bill was Live Aid, in 1985.

NunoBento and faceinthecrowd like this.
  2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Wembley and Knebworth

Contact Lost likes this.
  3. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I know and it's strange because in almost every doc I saw (and I viewed a lot from the 80s on) there seems to be the notion of the band breaking up for a time and going separate ways after the disappointing reaction to Hot Space. Even in "Bohemian Rhapsody" the plot goes that Freddie decides to make a solo album and is estranged from the band after 82 and then miraculously three years later the others call him up and suggesting to do Live Aid. We all know that's BS though because there was a tiny new album and several videos inbetween. And also the South-America gigs before Live Aid.

4. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

Newcastle St. James’s Park in 1986, think INXS were due to play but cancelled. Queen were a fantastic live band, only time I saw them.

5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

No, she is not mistaken. Your research is.

6. NightGoatToCairo

Not on your Nellie Duff.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Ha - it's Mr JamiroQanon!

Loving these recollections guys. Keep them coming (I have only seen Queen+Paul Rodgers, so don't have anything to contribute myself).

8. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

December 17 1977 Oakland Coliseum Oakland CA

9. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see Queen I think in 78 in Vancouver. I remember they opened with the fast version of We Will Rock You and the crowd went bonkers! My first 3 concerts were Led Zeppelin, Queen & Boston with Sammy Hagar. Ahhhh, the good ol days.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Wow, amazing to think that both Queen and Led Zeppelin played their debut American concerts in 'ol Denver. I never would've guessed it.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience also played the Regis Fieldhouse - 14-Feb-1968.

11. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

In 1972, they played five small headlining gigs in London, per Greg Brooks, Queen Archivist, in his book "Queen Live." They were still students and negotiating their deal with Trident at the time. For one of these gigs, an entire six people were in the audience. No way in hell did they have the status to open for Bowie at this point in their career.

Jimmy Jam, NunoBento and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I saw them there too and I remember an encore of Jailhouse Rock.

7solqs4iago and faceinthecrowd like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Queen - Live in New York (December 2nd, 1977)

14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I saw them first, like a lot of people posting, at Wembley Arena in September 1984. This was couple of days after Freddie's birthday. I really can't remember a lot about it though I've seen Works tour shows since and it was like that. I remember the stage layout with the cogs and I remember having a great time but that's all I can remember (I was 13 at the time).

Second and last time was Wembley Stadium 86, the show that was later broadcast. Thanks to the video I can remember a lot more about this one, one of the camera shots is from roughly where I was sitting on the terraces left about 3/4 back. It was phenomenal. They were great in '84 but this was another level. This was back when Wembley was happily being over-crowded so the place was packed almost entirely to the back. Seeing Radio Gaga from back there was stunning. I remember being really excited when they played Lap of The Gods. Freddie was perfect, he managed to bring the audience into the show in a way that felt really encompassing and natural. He was on our side and we were on his. Outside of Prince I can't think of any performer I've seen that has managed to bring an audience together as well as her did. It felt comunal. His posteuring was always accompanied by a sly tongue-in-cheek understanding that this was a show and he was performing, but he always had a little wink or tongue poke that broke any sense of pomposity. The love for Freddie from the audience was palpable in a way I haven't felt since. Best show ever.

15. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

That was a great description and an enjoyable read!

16. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

I had the pleasure of seeing Queen in concert at the Edmonton Colosseum March 18th, 1977. I was and am a big Queen fan absolutely loving their first 5 Lp’s with special emphasis on Queen and Queen II. A good friend of mine was President of the Jazz society and was always able to get the best seats for most concerts in Edmonton. He had something like 15 tickets to the Queen / Thin Lizzy concert - Row 3 centre stage. I was so grateful he asked me if I wanted to go.

The night of the concert started with the usual prep to ensure maximum enjoyment of the show to come. Thin Lizzy put on an amazing show and Phil Lynott was at the top of his game. They definitely had the crowd rocking. But as good as they were everyone wanted to see Queen.

My seat was dead centre stage Row 3 and when Queen came on stage I could not believe my eyes or my ears. I’m pretty sure I was bouncing on top of my chair for most of the concert. At that time my favourite song was Liar off the first Lp. In between songs I would yell Liar Liar Liar but alas to no avail. That lasted for about three songs and then I reluctantly gave up the chant. Near the end Of the show just after the song Keep Yourself Alive - Freddie walked over to Brian and whispered something to him. Brian smiled right away and nodded in agreement to what Freddie told him. Freddie came back to centre stage and introduced the next song When he did so he was about 10 feet away from me. Burned into my memory Freddie said “We are now going to do a song simply titled LIAR!!” And he took his half microphone stand and pointed it directly at me as he said LIAR.
    Well I can say with some certainty for that one or two seconds when he looked at me and I was watching him time stopped !!! And yes Liar is still my favourite Queen song.

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

You've got to admire the balls of any band that has Thin Lizzy as an opener! Queen's one of a handful who could follow a band as good as Lizzy.

Pim likes this.
  18. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Sure! Hot Space tour. Early 80's in Oakland CA.

19. downer

downer Senior Member

Adelaide, April 14 1976..

.[​IMG]

20. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I was going to see Queen opening for Mott The Hoople May 24, 1974 in Toledo but Queen cancelled.

I was at the Toledo University show. The sound was terrible. I'm sure it was the venue. I was a major fan but I've always considered this show the first step in me losing interest in the band. By the time I bought Night At The Opera, I was no longer interested.

[​IMG]

21. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Saw them in 1975 in Waterbury, CT with Mahogany Rush opening and then again in 1977 at MSG, N.Y. with Thin Lizzy opening.

22. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

23. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

They did not play on any Ziggy gigs.

24. NightGoatToCairo

Don't tell me! Tell @The Bishop

25. I wonder what would have happened if Brian didn’t get hepatitis and the shows weren’t cancelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.