Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, Genesis in 1982 (front row on the first night!) and 1984. Gabriel at Edinburgh Playhouse in 1983 (met him afterwards as well).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Obvs aware that Gabriel had left by 1982 but they played a good chunk of older material in this tour, the last one to feature Supper's Ready as a regular feature. I misunderstood the title initially!

No doubt plenty on here have seen Gabriel in Genesis, I'm sure many of those USA shows they did in the early days would've been something to see.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

his vocal range changed long time ago

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

He played Back in NYC during the first tour. Some covers and the full first album. Here comes the flood worked as opener and closer. He also played a demo version of Indigo

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Siegmund likes this.
  5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Did not know that song had been around that long. When I heard it on So the first time (college, vinyl, end of side two) I thought it sounded like something from the Melt days.

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I had a friend who was a roadie on the 1980 tour. he got me on the guest list for central park and the diplomat hotel ballroom shows in new York. I also saw one of the palladium shows in late 82 and forest hills stadium in summer of 83 both also in new York. all great shows.

zphage and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes they played in a park down the road from where I lived in 1978... Knebworth :goodie:

8. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I saw that tour in London (Hammersmith Odeon, 26 April 77)... thanks for reminding me about the torch! "Back in NYC and I think, "Ain't that Peculiar" and "All Day and All of the Night" were also in the set. Afterwards, waiting around for autographs at the stage door with maybe a dozen other people, the entire band, including Gabriel and, if I remember correctly, a visiting Peter Hammill, came out, chatted, were really friendly. All except for Steve Hunter who ran out like his pants were on fire, ignored everybody and jumped onto the bus.

Second album, he was back at Hammersmith (23 December 78) and it was good, although I was not a big fan of the accompanying album. I think Fripp was playing, although I wouldn't swear to it. And "Lamb Lies Down" was in the set, I believe; all I really recall about the show was Gabriel coming out alone for an encore of "Me & My Teddy Bear" while a lot of the audience was heading for the exits.... cue massive scramble back inside. Or did that happen the third (and last) time I saw him (Hammersmith again, 11 March 1980)? I remember the new (PG III) material sounded really powerful live, maybe even better than the album. But the show itself was marred by the showboating of the sax player (Timmy Cappello, I think).

I missed his next time through, for the fourth album (which is actually my favourite of them all), and never really cared enough about subsequent albums to go see him again. But... great shows. Think I need go play the albums now.

MicSmith, audiotom and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Two years too young to see Lamb tour
    Lived vicariously through Circus and Hit Parader magazine

1983 security tour (Larry Fast keyboards)

As others stated - Peter was passed through the audience during lay your hands on me

Also the band started the concert walking down the aisle next to us banging big bass drums to rythum of the Heat

Gabriel hits center stage at the first scream

Amnesty International 1986 w Larry Klein on bass
    Several UP tours - the first artist to get inside tge ball and go into the audience
    25 th anniversary of So
    Rock Paper Scissors with Sting

Those early tours with the shaved head and dusty rhoads (Robert Fripp) playing in the dark behind a curtain must have been something

10. I saw the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour in the Bay Area.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Genesis 6/18/80 @ Orpheum Theatre in Boston

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw the band Lamb too many times.

13. :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  14. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

He played flute later in 1977 for his European tour during his cover of I Heard it Through the Grapevine. I think that was it though.
    There is a Pre-FM boot of the Cleveland show which is the best recording of that track. I interviewed Peter in 2001 and suggested he revisit Why Don't We and he said he'd look for a decent bootleg of it to remind him how it went. No idea if he ever took up the idea......

15. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Yes the encore of Teddy Bear was the March 1980 show. The only time on the tour and the last time he played it I think. I'm not aware of Fripp playing at that 1978 show but you may be correct. He played on a couple of US gigs in New York that year.

16. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

That was a great show!

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This bootleg is a classic (one of the first bootlegs I heard on CD) but the crowd is one of the loudest and most annoying I've heard on a recording. You hear random screams, heckles, actual sentences, people reacting to others (a couple of screamers at 1:12 and one guy just afterwards who seems to complain about them, like "come on!"), they even interrupt Peter's banter quite frequently.

18. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I saw Peter with Genesis on the Selling England tour in Toledo Ohio. They were the only band and they played most of Selling England, Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme. Peter would tell a little story before each song as a way of introducing it. I went from being just a curious fan to full on board complete album collection fan on that night (they were great). Really sad I missed the Lamb tour.

mx20, William Smart and Dodoz like this.
  19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I saw them perform in Portland. They were incredible.

William Smart likes this.
  20. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

I saw Genesis on the Wind & Wuthering Tour in 1977......Liverpool Empire (9th Jan). According to the SetList.wiki this was the setlist:

Squonk
    One for the Vine
    Robbery, Assault and Battery
    Your Own Special Way
    ...In That Quiet Earth
    Afterglow
    I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
    Eleventh Earl of Mar
    Firth of Fifth
    Supper's Ready
    Dance on a Volcano
    Drum Duet
    Los Endos

Encore:
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    The Musical Box

If I recall correctly I think they also had Chester Thompson on drums along with Phil Collins.....very powerful drumming. It was a great concert from what I can recall, I do still have the program somewhere, if I find it I'll post some pics.

I also saw PG the same year.....Liverpool Empire (28th April). According to the SetList.wiki this was the setlist:

Here Comes the Flood
    On the Air
    Moribund the Burgermeister
    Waiting for the Big One
    Indigo
    Excuse Me
    Solsbury Hill
    Ain't That Peculiar
    Humdrum
    Slowburn
    All Day and All of the Night
    Here Comes the Flood
    Modern Love
    Down the Dolce Vita
    Back in N.Y.C.

Similar to others, the main thing I remember is Peter running around the theatre whilst still singing using a wireless microphone.

I have also seen Musical Box and they are very good, not a cheap tribute act by any means but worth while catching!

A Trick Of The Tail is still my favourite Genesis album, fortunately the concert I saw wasn't too long after that album release and quite a number of tracks covered.

21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

PG at Knebworth 1978.

sound chaser likes this.
  22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nah, wish I had. I saw Gabriel in '86 for the "So" tour, but it was still pretty great.

23. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Thanks, 1980 does sound right (vague memories of who I saw the show with, I didn't know her in 78)... as for Fripp, I might be confusing it with hoping he'd be there, and then mixing it up with a Blondie show - also in 1980

24. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

You seen a better show. The 2 Lamb shows set list I seen was All of the Lamb, Musical Box & Watcher. It was very good, some awkwardness with Slubberdegullion costume, but still good. Selling tour was F N Great! I thought Rutherford was going to shake the Academy Of Music to pieces every time he used the bass pedals. Best show ever!

mx20 and klockwerk like this.
  25. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

Couldn't find this when I looked, then it popped up today! A few pics from the program, hopefully of interest to some.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.