Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The group shot is so cool! :love:

2. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I saw Gabriel at the Bottom Line in 1977 and Robert Fripp came out to play during the encore. I also saw him at the Hotel Diplomat in Times Square a year later. Both great shows.

3. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

Dodoz....you might like this one as well

[​IMG]

ParloFax and Dodoz like this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I sure do! Thank you!

5. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

This is a great thread! Brings back a lot of memories! I first saw PG on the Security tour at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. I remember a band called A Certain Ratio opening up for him. PG came out before the show to announce them and compared them to human excrement. During their set, they flogged an oil barrel with a garden hose. I also remember a giant homemade sign in the audience announcing "Mozo is Here".

The 1982 Genesis show at Poplar Creek mentioned earlier in this thread was my first ever rock concert. I will never forget their version of Suppers Ready from that tour.

6. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

First saw them in '72 supporting Lindisfarne, which was my first ever gig. Lindisfarne were a big draw at the time with the biggest selling UK album of the year and their success proved to be something of Godsend for Genesis as a lot of the money Charisma earned from Lindisfarne was ploughed back into supporting them through some lean times when they were struggling to break through.

Then again in Manchester on four more occasions with Gabriel, the Free Trade Hall in Feb '73, the Opera House in Oct '73 and twice at the Palace Theatre in April '75. I might be very much in the minority here but I wasn't that keen on the costumes although the stage sets were always great and totally unlike anything anyone else was doing at the time. The fox head was pretty striking in '72, but by the Selling England tour nearly every song included at least one costume change and I felt it was getting a little out of hand. Some of it still works but I have to admit some of it looks a bit cringeworthy to me now. Saw all of Gabriel's tours from the first in '77 (Manchester and Liverpool) up to 2004 (Birmingham) but after that my interest waned a bit and I haven't bothered since.

Matthew Tate and katywu like this.
  7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Yes! I saw them back in the day in Seattle Washington. I used to go to a concert every weekend, those were the days. I saw many bands at the Paramount theater!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I saw the PG4 tour. Really excellent - very much a staged performance rather than just a concert full of hits. I remember this kind of obnoxious folk/noise band opened the show. They were one of Peter's WOMAD discoveries and really seemed to alienate the audience but then PG brought everyone back around as soon as he took the stage. He had so much presence - thatis the thing I remember most. Great show all around and I think I was even drug-free. That's saying something for an early 80's show...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You can see all the pages of the `77 tour programme here:

Genesis Programmes - Collins Years

You can also see the bootleg edition (named Rainbow version) which was sold during the UK tour. I have mint copies of both filed away somewhere.

10. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

this was in the setlist this far back?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, and PG used some of the tapes of screaming from the 'shocking' of the subjects, but did so without the family of Milgram's permission, so it appeared years later in a milder form on So.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I specifically remember Gabriel introducing the song by talking about the experiments and how they inspired its writing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. I was at his show in Michigan in 1981 or 82. Sorry I can't remember the exact date as it was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure it was in Anne Arbor. I was working on the line at GM at the time and could hardly afford the ticket but it was worth it. Great show.

Matthew Tate and rednoise like this.
  14. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

Saw them first on the SEBTP tour. A friend had seen them on The Midnight Special and said "IF THEY EVER COME HERE WE GOTTA GO!!!!"

Sure enough, a few months later, they came to Detroit. We ended up with 10th row center seats, and I saw them without having heard a note of their
    music or having seen a single picture of their stage show or Peter's costumes. Mind - as they say - Blown.

After that I saw the Lamb tour (not a fave), Peter's first few solo tours (one where Television opened), and Genesis (with diminishing returns) up through ATTWT.

mx20 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Mine too! I was just 13-year-olds at the time, but already pretty entrenched in both the Peter and Phil years. That was a hella of a way to start my concert going.

16. JackS

JackS Then Play On

15.07.83: Bethlehem, USA, Lehigh University
    The Call opened
    One of the best on my list

17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Me, too, at the Boston show. I remember Peter explaining the Milgram's study, and the performance was very dramatically lit with sickly green lights.

18. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Too young to see 70's Genesis but saw the Musical Box in January 2018 and thought hte show was amazing. A musical and visual feast.

19. Our Andall

Our Andall Well-Known Member

I saw him live from the 2nd album onward......

20. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

Saw him at the Hammersmith odeon it was one of his first concerts I recall. Robert Fripp played guitar and Phil Collins came on for the encore. Great concert

21. Fuller

Fuller Forum Resident

Saw PG on 23rd February 1980 at the Birmingham Odeon on the "Tour of China 1984" tour - still don't know the tour was called that ? Tickets £3.50 in the stalls.
    Anyway at the start the lights went down and the drum beat of Intruder started up. Some large torch lights from the rear of the Odeon are flashing and then we all realise PG is walking to the stage from the rear stalls. Big cheers as he is recognised, he climbs on to the stage, hits the piano to Intruder and it goes on to be a great gig.
    Still got the ticket and the tour badge, sorry to say it is the only the only time I've seen PG live much to my regret.
    Random Hold were the support band, PG used their guitarist too David Rhodes ? Tony Levin on bass, Jerry Marotta on drums I think.
    PG3 did not come out until a few months later so we didn't know lots of the songs. Always felt the album was a bit of a let down after the power of the songs live.
    Also recall some punters were calling out for Suppers Ready, PG just replied "I see we have lots of students of history here tonight."
    Saw Genesis in 1981 Abacab tour at the NEC (only time I saw Phil Collins), and 1997 same venue but only half full with Ray Wilson on vocals, must admit I recall very little of that night.
    I've seen Steve Hackett in 1979, 1980, 2011 & 2013, all excellent.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Interviewer - “You dubbed this tour -- you had a name for it, Chinese something?”
    PG - “China 1984”
    Interviewer - “Why?”
    PG - “Ah, because a lot of bands want to out-do each other in terms of tours and T-shirts, you know, Japanese and
    the Russian T-shirts.”
    Interviewer - “And you’re one of them?”
    PG - “Yeah, I’d thought I’d take the ____ out of it then, I thought China 1984 sounded better than Russia 1980. It’s
    just a silly joke.”

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

I was at the Birmingham gig too although the Odeon was never a favourite venue for me, also managed to get to Manchester a couple of weeks later. Although David Rhodes played the support slot with Random Hold he didn't play with Gabriel on that tour, that was John Ellis, who had previously been with The Vibrators and went on to work with Peter Hammill for most of the 80s before joining The Stranglers. In addition to John Ellis, Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta the rest of the band was John Giblin on bass and Larry Fast on keyboards. David Rhodes' first gig with PG was at the first WOMAD Festival in Shepton Mallet in '82.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Gabriel Halloween 83 at Rutgers U's Livingston Gym was an amazing experience. It felt like at least 10% of the audience was done up in approximations of his Genesis costumes due to it being Halloween. His jumping around like a monkey and stage diving were memorable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Genesis 1974
    Gabriel 1977
    Genesis 1977
    Gabriel 1978 (Knebworth)
    Gabriel 1980

All U.K., all amazing, they just don't make them like that anymore:)

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.