Did anyone watch "Veep" on HBO?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Jonah storyline is completely ridiculous. I mean, how could it be possible that somebody this obnoxious and out of touch with reality could get elected and then go crazy in office and make a lot of bizarre, snap decisions and say horrible, irrational things in public and not get in trouble for it? That could never happen in real life. :sigh:

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

As far fetched as many of the situations on this show are, the fact that Jonah is now running for President (something we all saw coming) is just a bridge too far. And did he switch parties?
    Are few choice lines in this one:
    Johah's "Final solution" to Tanz.
    Someone to Selina: "Will you be breastfeeding?" Selina: "I'm not a goat". Gary: "Yeah those are for daddy".
    Selina about the problem with the library: "How about we own this...not in a slavery way".
    Selina seemed to be simultaneously cruel (using Catherine's baby as a prop) and heartsick (sobbing on the escalator after breaking up with Jaffar). JLD is a truly remarkable actress.
    So the stage is set for a hopefully better season 7 with the gang mostly back together (Mike seems to be out). See you Veepers next year.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder if they'll actually end it on the election night episode as the results are coming in so we don't know who won or lost. Sort of like a Sopranos ending. I'd like that for Veep. Leave the audience to decide if she wins or loses. :)

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I found the latest ep to be quite
    The vibe I got from the finale is that they're going to parallel/satirize Hillary Clinton's last campaign. She's going on a 'feeling' tour (as opposed to a 'listening' tour) for example, and just the manner in which she addressed her audience and playing coy, etc, is all very early Clinton-eque M.O.

Steve...O, Deuce66 and GodShifter like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

A bit of trivia I picked up on another site - when a member of the Skull and Bones society hears a non-member mention Skull and Bones, they must immediately leave the room.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Cool...a nice method to clear the room of undesirables.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

absolutely and Jonah will be playing the role of you know who....

GodShifter and Deesky like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Even for an absurd, lewd comedy, Jonah running for president seems beyond the pale in terms of anything remotely plausible. We'll see.

9. I would have agreed with this 2 years ago.

RK2249, bababooey, dirwuf and 4 others like this.
  10. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

This season had gotten better and better up to the Judge episode which is an all time VEEP classic, but the last two episodes fell flat for me to the point of seeming like lazy writing. Dan goes from being virtually impossible to conceive to getting Amy pregnant? Gary was working in a hospital at 16? Selina all of a sudden decides to run again? Leon West is going to work for the lady who kept him prisoner longer than needed so she could get a photo op?

The timeline of the show is clearly 2019 since the midterms have happened and Ezra is in Congress. It will be interesting to see if next season is all about the pre-primary race or if they move into the primary season which would accelerate until 2020.

The upside to all of this is that I think the characters are best reacting to each other so we will have them working much closer next season. I missed Kent and Ben this year.

I had mentioned earlier this thread that it would have been comedy gold to get Letterman to play the Tonight Show host, and it turns out the producers did approach him about that. Dave likes the show but decided he wasn't ready to come back yet.

11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

If it happens, I'm really looking forward to Mike McLintock (hopefully) as his press secretary. He and Spicer were already similar.

Deesky likes this.
  12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've always wanted to watch this show but never taken the time to do so. Was thinking about starting from the beginning and curious if it will feel too politically dated at the beginning or hopefully not?

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think it will be politically dated. While there are some allusions/parallels to real politics, it's never too obvious and besides, it's about politics in general - hypocritical public facades, corruption, bribery (lobbying), oneupmanship , vanity, ego, narcissism, backstabbing, you know, the usual.

Deuce66, agentalbert, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed. I just watched the first episode and thought it was terrific. Great energy.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think the best aspect of the show has been it's consistency. If you enjoyed the 1st episode, you'll enjoy the entire series. For me, the only other HBO show I find to be as funny would be Curb Our Enthusiasm, but it's had 'off' seasons. Not Veep.

chacha likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

18. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought veep was funny. I watched every episode.

Pete Puma likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The obscenities start up again on March 31 :righton:.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love this show. I’m so glad it’s going one more season.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very funny show. Sad to see it end.

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm so glad this is back. The snarkiest show on TV with one of the greatest casts ever assembled (and huge, too!). I need a real dose of pitch black cynicism right now. To bad it's only 7 episodes.
    Some choice lines:
    "Blue is the most annoying color". Her disdain for her daughter and her partner make for the best lines.
    "If Mohammad Atta had you people booking his travel, he'd still be alive today." Just wow.
    Referring to Jonah-"80 story sky raper".
    Selina: "Amy, why would you want to be president?"
    Amy: "So I could nuke America."
    And on and on. Selina giving the "mayor dog" chocolate unknowingly, Jonah marrying his stepsister. You can't can write stuff like this. Oh actually you can, and they did.

bopdd, mikeyt, Deesky and 3 others like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

no line is too offensive to cross with this show and you didn't even touch on the recurring theme

mikeyt likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was a fab start. They packed so many jokes/one liners into the whole running time that I'm sure I missed a good percentage of them. I'll have to watch it again. Great stuff.

bopdd, GodShifter and mikeyt like this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.