Did BOC refuse a hit song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fireprix, Jan 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to the local classic rock station the other day and the DJ said at the conclusion of Bryan Adam’s Run To You that the song was originally written for Blue Oyster Cult. I’ve never heard this before.

So it kinda got me thinking about it and if there could be any truth to this. It was one of the more rocking songs off Adam’s Reckless album that came out around 84 or so. This would have possibly put this on BOC’s Revolution By Night album, a time they could have used a hit that could have been a follow up to Burnin For You. But is this the kind of song BOC would record? If so would have it been as big or even a bigger hit for them or not a hit at all? I think with Buck doing the vocals and adding some of his signature guitar work could have possibly made it a huge hit for them. What do you think?

2. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just checked on Wikipedia and they claim it is true. Still interested in hearing some thoughts about how this would have done as a BOC song.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Joseph Sipocz

Joseph Sipocz Forum Resident

BOC was always better when they did their own songs. Look what happened to Jefferson Starship, Heart, and Cheap Trick when they were made to go to outside writers. Popular, but without respect. At least, that's how I look at it.

4. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

This was the era I wanted to see BOC be BOC. After the ousting of Albert Bouchard, they started relying on outside contributors, and it diluted their chemistry. If they'd had a big hit with outside material, it would have reinforced that outside contributors were the way to go, and we'd probably have gotten more of that. In hindsight, it looks like that's the way they went anyway, and were in the creative wilderness by 1985. I didn't want BOC to have hits. I wanted them to Rock and Roll. There's a reason I have a have a whole shelf of Blue Oyster Cult recordings, and no Bryan Adams material whatsoever.

Lonesurf, Gumboo, Grootna and 12 others like this.
  5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I prefer BÖC threads with umlauts .

6. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Adams had success with Cuts Like a Knife and A&M, it seems, was prepared to push the heck out of Reckless.
    If the label supports it, you'll have a hit (much of the time.) Not sure BOC would have gotten the support they would have needed.
    I'm sure they would have done a great version of the tune, but Reckless got the corporate shove.

Matthew Tate and fireprix like this.
  7. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I have to admit, I can kinda hear it, especially with Buck singing. If it did happen, it would’ve been nice to have weirded up the lyrics a bit to make it more BÖC. But the musical structure and feel are there; I could see it as a follow up to ‘Burnin For You’. I would probably, no I know I would like the song much more if I knew it as a BÖC song instead. Because I’m a fan.
    Who knows what would’ve happened to them if it was a hit. Maybe it would’ve just been one more hit for them and otherwise pretty much the same. A three-hit band instead of a two-hit band that fans still celebrate similarly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Matthew Tate, fireprix and Deja Doh like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This seems odd. Why would Bryan Adams write a song for BÖC?

If someone else had written the song and it ended up with Adams - like how Simple Minds landed "Don't You Forget About Me" - then sure, but it simply makes little sense to me that Adams would write a song during sessions for his own album and want to give it to BÖC! :confused:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Run to You is one of the better Bryan Adams songs so I'm glad he recorded it. BOC already have a bunch of great tunes.

tkl7, Matthew Tate, enro99 and 6 others like this.
  10. County50

County50 Forum Resident

I never heard this story before, I’m glad they never recorded any Bryan Adams songs, they are Blue Oyster Cult. I want to see Rock & Roll, lasers and Baby Ice Dogs

11. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

"This Ain't The Summer of '69 Love"

fireprix, Mr Sam, MYQ1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Who the f*** is BOC?

Mark L., Grootna, Mr Sam and 7 others like this.
  13. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Blue Oyster Cult

905 likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I was hoping he meant AOC.

20190303_aoc.jpg

Mark L., Grootna, eddiel and 8 others like this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Did they BOC at recording a Bryan Adams song? :)

Big mistake.

mbd40, ledsox and Instant Dharma like this.
  16. 23jim

23jim Well-Known Member

1st album I bought was Bryan Adams Reckless which shocks me now considering all the albums I bought after it.

My favorite live album was Some Enchanted Evening by BOC. Was a big fan.

So kind of cool weird thing to think about.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

sekaer likes this.
  20. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Boards Of Canada

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Billy O’Cean.

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

If it was offered for the Club Ninja album years later they would have bit, having lost their self-respect (along with their original drummer) and already allowing 4 songs not written by the band. Revolution By Night wasn't good, but at least it contained almost all originals.

However, having them cover what is basically 867-5309 but with different lyrics.......

StingRay5 likes this.
  24. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Beatles, Of Course
    :hide:

25. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I guess it's possible, but I just can't picture it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.