Did BOC refuse a hit song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fireprix, Jan 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I would love to hear an album of Bryan Adams doing all the songs he co-wrote but never recorded. It seems like his well has largely run dry (I mean, aside from the Jeff Lynne one, he keeps putting out pretty dull records).

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Two really good singles with good videos were released from The Revolution By Night and it still tanked. I doubt "Run To You" would have saved it.

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  3. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I don't know about all that, but for almost 20 years there was no new product from the band & now there seems to be an abundance.
    A new studio album & several archived live shows.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and two songs for KISS' 1982 Creatures of the Night album, War Machine and Rock & Roll Hell which was previously recorded by BTO in 1979.

His many credits.....

Bryan Adams discography - Wikipedia

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There's certainly plenty of great material just waiting to be recorded, out there!

Pouchkine likes this.
  6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

On a Windows machine: Alt+0214

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I still think it's BOC's best album but I'm aware I'm in the minority with this opinion. :)

bataclan2002, Deuce66 and AndrewK like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think in another BA-related thread someone posted a live clip of Bryan singing "When The Night Comes," and man I'd love to hear that done properly. Plus, I just don't think he really has any rockers left in him, so at least it'd give him an album to do that could rekindle some of that old magic.

Matthew Tate, Pouchkine and carlwm like this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well Lynryd Skynryd turned down Neil Young's Powderfinger.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Interesting that neither of those earlier versions included the instrumental bridge!

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

So it was written tailor-made with BOC in mind. That's makes sense, rather than, hey, do you want this single? I don't want to be too successful.

Pete Townshend was thinking of giving 'Let Me Love Open The Door' to Blondie. Don't know what happened with that.

Maybe Adams should have thrown 'Run To You' to Def Leppard.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Funny to think that both those cassettes lived in my '73 Buick Regal for months on end back in '84/'85 and I never knew that Adams wrote this. Liner notes weren't exactly top of mind in those days.

Matthew Tate and Synthfreek like this.
  13. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Reminds me that Springsteen "was to" give Hungry Heart to the Ramönes

Matthew Tate and bataclan2002 like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Allegedly "Hungry Heart" was written for the Ramones at Joey's request, but Landau convinced Bruce to keep it for himself.

So that's different than "Run to You" in that if accurate, the Ramones never had the chance to turn down the song! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

I think in the Deluxe Reckless liner notes Bryan himself confirms the story that the song was written with Jim Vallance FOR Blue Öyster Cult.

According to the excellent Jim Vallance website the song was written in January 1983 so after the Cuts Like A Knife album was recorded, so it's fair to assume Blue Öyster Cult could have recorded it for the Revolution By Night album if they had wanted to. It seemed their response was that they didn't like the song which is quite bizarre since it was a very good song specifically written for them and as a fan of both band, I'm sure it would have been the best song or one of the best songs on the album. But that might have prevented Bryan to use it on the Reckless album, where it just fit perfectly...

Matthew Tate and RonChrysler like this.
  16. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

If there were a take of Blue Öyster Cult demoing 'Run to You', I might listen to it once for novelty's sake. I'd be much more interested in the novelty of Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting taking a crack at '7 Screaming Diz-Busters' though.

17. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I do agree they definitely were better when they wrote their own material, after they parted ways with Albert I think they could have used all the help they could get. I’m a huge fan of theirs and can honestly say I like Revolution By Night and even Club Ninja, but to me they are by far their weakest albums. Coulda, woulda, shoulda or not we’ll never know cause they didn’t. Run To You could have replaced the often criticized Let Go.

Pouchkine and carlwm like this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yes. Also, I think B.O.C. could have taken Run To You and put more of an otherworldly spin on it--made it their own. Maybe some alteration of the lyrics and an overall sinister-izing of the tune could have resulted in something special.

Matthew Tate, Pouchkine and fireprix like this.
  19. fireprix

Agree that they never got proper label support. I’ve always believed I Love The Night could have been as big or bigger than Don’t Fear The Reaper if it had been released as a single and properly promoted.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

BOC have a fab catalogue but they've got many albums that, in my opinion are no better and occasionally worse than Club Ninja, and if the law decreed that I was only allowed to own one album by them. I would choose The Revolution By Night. It's one of my favourite albums of the Eighties. :)

bataclan2002 likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I wish BOC had done the song. That would have been cool. Especially those heavy chord in the chorus.

Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  22. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

To each their own, but I find it hard to say whether Club Ninja is slightly better or slightly worse than The Revölution by Night. Both have a few decent songs: "Take Me Away", "Shadow of California", "Shooting Shark", "Dancing in the Ruins" (yeah, not their own song, I know), "When the War Comes", and "Perfect Water"; and both have some truly awful songs like "Eyes on Fire", "Let Go", "Make Rock Not War", and "Beat 'em Up". Mirrors is nearly as bad as those two, though "Dr. Music", "The Great Sun Jester", and "In Thee" start it off deceptively well; the three of them collectively are IMHO the worst of BÖC's Columbia period.

carlwm and Endymion like this.
  23. fireprix

I used to feel the same about Mirrors for the longest time. It to me just seemed out of their character for them while all the original members were still in the band. Then I put it on one day and for some reason just couldn’t stop listening to it. I think it made me realize just how good they are that they could make something out of their wheelhouse and I still liked it.

24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Heck, maybe they still will!

Billy Idol was offered "Don't You Forget About Me" before Simple Minds, but turned it down at the time. But 15-20 years later he ended up doing it for a greatest hits release.

Maybe BOC could do something similar with "Run To You".

Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

If BOC had done it, probably would sound different and t would not be a hit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.