Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

did Chrysalis use CSG-process? (Compatible Stereo Generator )*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chewy, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cencalphono

cencalphono New Member

I was going through my Warner/Reprise Gordon Lightfoot 45 collection, and did they do a CSG number on poor Gordy! I found a copy of the 45 that the picture was posted here previously. Funny thing, it only says CSG mono on one side. I've found both CSG stereo and non-CSG mono on different promo copies of the same records. The commercial copies are always regular stereo. There is no indication of CSG anything on my Canadian promos and regular 45's. The Canadian promos tend to be mono. What a tragedy.

2. bigmsound

bigmsound Well-Known Member

It costs less to use the:shake:CSG process:rolleyes: for creating the mono fold downs than instead of using a proper dedicated mono master. I'll bet a majority of the mono mixes that were used on Warner Bros, A&M and Atlantic 45's throughout the 70's utilized the CSG mono process, but there was no indication on the record label.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting aid for Haeco-CSG from the late 1960s. Note that Howard Holzer, the inventor of the process, was chief engineer of A&M Records for quite a few years.

[​IMG]

4. bigmsound

bigmsound Well-Known Member

"They play perfectly on all stereo and mono systems. The quality is excellent on both."
    Excellent quality, yeah right. To who's standards? LOL!!!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

With truth in advertising, maybe it should've said, "it sounds just as crappy in mono as it does in stereo!"

I agree with Steve: a horrible, horrible process. It can be undone if you know the phase tricks and settings; this piece on Wikipedia goes into it in detail. Be warned that it hinges on good VTA and channel balance from the original vinyl assuming it's from vinyl), and precise head alignment on the master.

6. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

i appiled CSG-process to the ad

Attached Files:

• ad.jpg
      ad.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

8. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It doesn't, actually. As long as you have good separation between the left and right channels, you're golden; one channel stays untouched, while the other is rotated by 90 degrees. Not that it isn't a bad idea to get your alignment right from the start, but not doing so won't affect undoing CSG.

Shush!

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I pulled out my Roland Kirk lp Inflated Tear and noticed in the fine print
    "The processing of this lp uses the new CSG "Stereo Logic" device, which gives the listener the best sound that can be obtained today."

ARRRGGGHHH!

I've got Wheels Of Fire on lp too so double arrrggghhh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.