Did Metal die in the mid-90s ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dissidence, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You haven't been looking...it's a new golden age for heavy metal!

hutchguv, Rocketdog, nosliw and 6 others like this.
  2. Warren Peace

Warren Peace Well-Known Member

Listening to music in the 70's and 80's and trying to categorize it was so much easier. Hard rock, Prog, Heavy metal and that was pretty much it. Now you must about 40 sub genres of Metal/rock.
    Plenty of music coming out now, plenty of Nordic and European bands bands as well as the more traditional places UK/USA
    Has it died or gone away ? NEVER. It has just evolved ,which is why the current music scene is so healthy

shaboo, carlwm and Curveboy like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Did metal die in the 1990's? Nope, not at all. In the eyes of MTV...metal probably was dead by the mid 90's. The sudden disappearance of Headbangers Ball in January 1995, when MTV abruptly canceled the show without any prior warning to viewers, host Riki Rachtman, or the production staff.

To me, that was the death knell for MTV...right there. Slightly OT...sorry.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The mantel holders of metal are the new jazz/punk snobs. Not music lovers. Just dictating. Heavy is a feel. Much of what you call metal is just pure pop. Metal goes on. More metal today than ever.

ian christopher likes this.
  5. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

If metal had stopped in the mid 1990's, we wouldn't have genres such as Atmospheric Black Metal and Dungeon Synth to enjoy in 2022.

nosliw, Auntie Pho and Greenalishi like this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

No, but it's probably a lot tougher to break through now. Metal is over 50 years old at this point and so a lot of ideas have been cultivated. That's not to say there can't be a continued evolution, though. I've heard some really creative stuff over the last few years. But it's not on the same consistent basis compared to when I was first getting into the music. I'm probably just out of loop and need to check out more recent releases.

7. Greenalishi

Metal seems more alive right now than ever. Nostalgia and new bands. Lots of really dedicated young fans. Really broad field. Accepted by the press now too. Never was in the 80s. I find the genre minutia too much. But it’s also out of love. Metal is accepted and outside and all over the place.

8. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

On the contrary. While tribalism is mostly a thing of the past in music, the metal subculture is one of the few remaining subcultures still standing.

nosliw, Neonbeam, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  9. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I guess that's because it's always been extremely open to outside influences. There's some truly amazing, very fertile stuff around.

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Metal became significantly less popular then in the wake of Grunge and Nu Metal.
    The European and Scandinavian brethren kept Metal alive. They created the genres of Death, Black and Power Metal. It's glorious stuff and has been very much alive for over thirty years.
    There are thousands of bands and artists who still worship at Metal"s blackened; titanium Church.

BS101, ian christopher and nosliw like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mainstream metal fans are often extremely narrow-minded.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  13. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Here in the US probably but it thrived in Europe and continues to do so

Weirwolfe and ian christopher like this.
  14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

South America also, and even the Middle East and Mongolia (The Hu)?

Weirwolfe, Rich-n-Roll and nosliw like this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

South American countries, like Brazil and Chile, has a lot of great underground metal bands. Belo Horizonte in Brazil has great metal bands like Sepultura, Sarcofago, Chakal, Holocausto, Mutilator, and others.

Middle-Eastern bands are also very underground due to the sociopolitical oppression in Iraq, Iran, and Lebanon. My favourite, Damaar, is definitely one of the best but only released a demo and has since broken up. Israel has a few decent bands like Melechesh (since relocated to the Netherlands, though), Orphaned Land, Salem, and Sonne Adam. The book, Rock in a Hard Place: Music and Mayhem in the Middle East, is a great read about metal bands in that region.

ian christopher likes this.
  16. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Another Music is Dead thread. Oh joy.

Greenalishi and nosliw like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I wasn't thinking of mainstream metal. :unhunh:

DTK likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I know :)

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Ningen Isu (and other bands from Japan) are doing their part in keeping metal alive. Here's one of Ningen Isu's most popular songs.

Regards,
    Dave

20. Greenalishi

Grunge and new metal are metal to me. There are so so many sub genres now. Still all metal.

axel1975, Weirwolfe and Curveboy like this.
  21. Korverrum

Korverrum Active Member

Metal just became less popular then. And frankly, that's a good thing for the genre. Now that metal isn't as popular we won't have another overblown, exaggerated, ridiculous excuse for metal (I'm looking at you hair metal) and more people will be making projects in the vein of black and death metal

Greenalishi and nosliw like this.
  22. Korverrum

Korverrum Active Member

Yes more love for Damaar

nosliw likes this.
  23. Paice

Paice Forum Resident

The modern day masterpiece that is Megadeth's Endgame suggests otherwise.

Swordsandchains likes this.