Did Robert Plant develop an allergy to John Paul Jones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I wonder if Page and Plant felt JPJ never pulled his own weight. I'm sure everyone will chime in that he wrote and played and contributed, but he was the most expendable member of the band, making just as much money as the others.

If Page and Plant reunited for a LZ tour and left JPJ out, people wouldn't come? "Hey without those JPJ bass lines, it's just not Led Zeppelin." "It was always JPJ who put on the best stage show, where is he?" He was always the one "parking the car" in Led Zeppelin.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, we will. He contributed far more than most bass players in bands. It's true that he was the lowest-profile band member (and one wonders whether they would have split if he had died rather than Plant's buddy Bonham) but "never pulled his own weight" is not the right way to put it, at all.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Ridiculous comment

This is just flat out wrong in so many ways

Based on your comments
    I would assume you are not a musician

First off

less is more

Jones is the epitomy of this

Page sought out JPJ

Jones and Bonham’s telepathic groove and ability to improv on a dime made the band viable

He was the glue that held it all together

Jones Is a virtuoso virtually any string instrument, keys, etc.
    But not violin or viola.

They all had the utmost respect for each other and knew the group needed each member

When the band had an off night - it wasn’t because of him
    He would even take up the slack when call for.

He made nowhere near as much money - songwriting credits - even when he came up with the riffs. He wasn’t fairly noted in many cases

Less is more

So Plant and Page toured in the nineties without him
    Didn’t want the expectations there
    They had Plant’s son in law on bass
    And they NEVER improvised
    Charlie needed a net - a well scripted part

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Sean, MortSahlFan, MungoMusic and 3 others like this.
  4. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

I find this quite a scurrilous opinion to be honest. JPJ was so much more than the bass player and without him we wouldn't have Black Dog, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir (I know he didn't get a writing credit but his string arrangement is what add the drama to the riff) and of course No Quarter. And lets not forget that the highlight of Celebration Day is Mr. Jones on lap steel. His standard of musicianship from start to finish was exemplary.

MortSahlFan, MungoMusic, ARK and 8 others like this.
  5. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Even though, as he observed when they toured without him, they had to pay three other musicians to take his place and play all his parts.

ARK, dkmonroe and The Gomper like this.
  7. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Exactly. That may have been one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Even if all he did was play the bass, he more than pulled his weight in Led Zeppelin.

And he did far more than just play the bass.

No evidence that he ever once parked a car.

MortSahlFan and Liquid77 like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

JPJ was not seen as an expendable member of the band. He was a key member. Peter Grant knew it as well, pleaded with him not to quit in ‘74, and even made concessions to keep him. Led Zeppelin needed JPJ. And decades later, all one has to do is watch the O2 footage to see how integral he was to the sound of that band.

Sean, Teufelzkerl, Kassonica and 7 others like this.
  10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Not trying to pile on ~ but true story, I didn't go see Page/Plant in the 90s. And it did bother me Jones wasn't part of it. I now regret not going, but I would have for sure had he been there.

When I saw the JPJ trio a few years later, Jones looked like he could run a marathon...and played like it, too. Never flashy for a second, but full of quiet, focused passion. His "flamboyance" was how heavy his musical presence was on whatever instrument he was playing. I remember thinking Page and Plant made a big mistake not availing themselves of his energy and all he could've brought to the table.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

As would I.

audiotom and ARK like this.
  12. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

He did okay in the '80s. Now and Zen did very well, even though one of its hits sounds like it was designed to sell sugar water (and it did). But yes, his success was due to his provenance. Were he a new artist, no one would have paid him much mind. There are some good songs sprinkled throughout his solo career....maybe a CD's worth.

While I really enjoyed the P+P shows, the point somewhere upthread was well-made. Those shows were choreographed, and emphatically not the razors-edge improvisational shows that were a Led Zeppelin trademark (for better or worse).

"I'm a Golden God!"

audiotom likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And, watch the 2003 Zeppelin DVD...bass, keyboards, bass pedals, mandolin...Jonesy was definitely not expendable.

ARK, musicfan37, The Gomper and 3 others like this.
  14. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

The only reason the Page / Plant reunion happened was that Page had made an album with Coverdale.

15. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that, first time I have seen it. Looked liked Knebworth and if so I wonder why it isn't on my bootleg. Maybe the taper had to change reels!

The Gomper likes this.
  16. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

And much as I love Plant and he was equally important when early on He was a bit disgruntled Peter Grant said 'you're only the singer's not you're only the bassist to Jonesey

17. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Huh?

j4yheindeo likes this.
  18. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

They only played Ten Years Gone on August 4th, the August 11th show is the one more commonly circulated.

19. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

There was a point early on when Percy felt he wasn't appreciated and complained to Grant and that was his response. Can't t remember the full details.

20. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Right, but I'm sure it wasn't "you're only the singer's not you're only the bassist to Jonesey", whatever that means. You should punctuate your sentences correctly, so people understand what you're actually attempting to convey.

21. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

His Hammond organ on "Your Time Is Gonna Come" still sends shivers up my spine to this day.
    And what would "Going To California" be without his mandolin? If you've never watched this video, it's worth five minutes of your time:

KariK, MungoMusic and anth67 like this.
  22. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Not sure if posted but what is this all about then,

musicfan37 likes this.
  23. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

When Plant's son died unexpectedly in 1977, Page didn't stay connected to Plant. It was Bonham who coaxed Plant back to the band. There were photos of Page and Plant attending Richard Cole's wedding in mid-1978 which were a big deal at the time. (they hadn't been seen together since Aug of 77)

24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

He was playing arenas in the early-mid '80s and not doing any Led Zeppelin material all. It was very well known that there wouldn't be any Zep stuff and people still went.

ARK likes this.
  25. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

Well it made sense to me :) although I should have referenced PacificOceanBlue's post above to clarify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.