Did Ted Demme cop from Counting Crows in the film Beautiful Girls?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by teaser5, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Beautiful Girls is one of my favorite movies. I bet I have seen it ten times. Every time I channel check and it's on I still have to sit a watch for a while. Sure enough it was on today and even though I had stuff to do I ended up watching for about twenty minutes. Since there's a classic scene every five minutes or so I saw plenty of good stuff

Anyway there's an after party scene where a drunken Willie, played byTimothy Hutton is on the floor leaning against a pool table talking to an equally inebriated old high school friend named Mo played by Noah Emerich about women. In particular Hutton is talking about Natalie Portmans character Marty, which is alarming to his friend since Portmans character is just thirteen in the flim. But Hutton isn't talking about something sexual; instead it's about something he senses is pure and wonderful...something beautiful, (hence the title).

Finally, in exasperation he says "I just want something beautiful" and his pal responds "We all want something beautiful"

And even though I have seen this movie repeatedly it never struck me before today:
    "Mr Jones"!
    That line is straight out of the first Counting Crows single which BTW came out about three years before the film.

Anybody else notice this and does anyone possibly know if it was intentional. Was Ted Demme a Counting Crows fan? Ever see a similar example in another film? Discuss!

Peace-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.