Did The Beatles' 'Let it Be' Album Deserve "Octopus's Garden" More Than 'Abbey Road'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Maybe if Octopus's Garden was held off for the Let It Be album, it would have had every Beatle contribution mixed out except for drums & Ringo's vocal, and would have featured a choir & orchestra. Great. Maybe we lucked out.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

But what would Phil Spector have done with it?

boggs and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Got in the Ronnettes, the Royal Philharmonic orchestra, The Glenn Miller Orchestra, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir ......
    Just jokes guys

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

He would have overdubbed a 40-piece orchestra while underwater... ;)

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

But Abbey Road had already been published at the time when they considered making this final album (out of the January 69 sessions). So Octopuss' garden wasn't available anymore.
    Are you suggesting they should have used Octopuss' garden once AGAIN on the last album ?
    Or are you implying that while making Abbey Road, they knew another album would appear almost a year later and therefore they had too refrain from including Octopuss in AR ?

6. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

one of the members could have helped Ringo finished the song Picasso or Taking A Trip To Carolina for Let It Be

theMess likes this.
  7. He is the loudest voice on “Carry That Weight” though during the closing. St the risk of duplicating, I think they should have had “Don’t Let Me Down” in place of”Dig “It”. I know folks com0lain about “Maggie Mae” but it worked for me because it was an early ditty that they learned and played in the beginning of the Quarrymen.

musicfan37 and theMess like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Or James Taylor. ;)

theMess likes this.
  9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Octopus Garden belongs on Abbey Road.

A Ringo song along the lines of something from Beaucoups of Blues would have fit in well on Let it Be.

Aftermath, musicfan37 and theMess like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

11. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

I think Let it Be would have a more enjoyable feel if it included Octopus' Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Put I me Mine and Get Back on Abbey Road.

Album title suggestion: Abbey Be

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  12. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Not that I like the song that much but Octopus' Garden was better than most songs released that year.

Michael and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Octopus's Garden could have been a Rutles song...

boggs, Purple Jim, mbleicher1 and 2 others like this.
  14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Aw...Beatle people are just killing time until we get more news on Abbey Road 50th issue, or the Peter Jackson project.
    Cut 'em some slack! :cheers:

johnnybrum likes this.
  15. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I can’t tell if this post is serious or not, but just off the top of my head, the first two Zeppelin albums, Let it Bleed, Tommy, and CSN’s debut all came out in 1969.

nbadge likes this.
  16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Totally misplaced on Let It Be, IMO

17. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

And Green River-CCR, I'll Never Fall In Love Again-Tom Jones, I can't Get Next To You-The Temptations, Little Woman-Bobby Sherman, Easy to be Hard-Three Dog Night, Wedding Bell Blues-5th Dimension, Leaving on A Jet plane-Peter Paul and Mary, In The Year 2525 Zager and Evans, Dizzy-Tommy Roe, and on and on......

18. Arnold Grove

Bah. Even "Don't Pass Me By" is better than all of the songs on the albums that you listed.

P.S. I am joking! ;)

mbleicher1 likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Well, you might not want to use In The Year 2525 and that Bobby Sherman tune for argumentive purposes... ;)

groundharp likes this.
  20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

High praise, indeed!

mark winstanley and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

LOL!

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Originally 'Carry That Weight' also had verses and was debuted to the group as a song for Ringo, so maybe the band saw giving him the basically lead vocal slot on that part of the medley as being his song for the album ?

It would have been interesting to see what the others (most likely George) could have done with 'Picasso' and 'Carolina', because I do agree that it is a shame that Ringo doesn't have a song on 'Let It Be'. I remember George suggested a song for him called 'Maureen' which he claimed Bob Dylan wrote, and then John also had a small fragment of a song for Ringo (it had a woman's name I believe but I forget which).

(EDIT: The song I was trying to remember was Lennon's 'Annie'.)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  23. Michael

you had to be! LOL...

24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It would have been interesting to hear a version of 'I Want You' on the 'Let It Be' album; I imagine it would sit well alongside the more rocking songs like 'I've Got A Feeling', 'Dig A Pony' and 'Get Back'. Like 'Don't Let Me Down', it would add to the 'John/Paul' balance more than the final release did.

25. Michael

you're joking right? : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.