Did The Beatles' 'Let it Be' Album Deserve "Octopus's Garden" More Than 'Abbey Road'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Poor Ringo, I like Ringo guys..

S. P. Honeybunch and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Let's 'Let It Be' let it be...; )

3. Michael

me too!

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

To be honest, I don’t constantly re-think what the Beatles should or shouldn’t have done with their albums .

I like the albums as they are and anyway,we can’t rewrite history .

So, to answer your topic question : No.

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

A better argument can be made for sticking with the "Get Back" album concept, junking Let It Be than taking something that has nothing to do with spirit of those sessions namely getting back to their roots and cutting the studio trickery out and adding that to the polished, spectorized L.I.B.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    theMess likes this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

What, no one has taken the inner groove distortion bait? AR is just fine on vinyl.

What could have been done on Let It Be was to let Ringo have an oldie but a goodie. Could have gone back to the Carl Perkins well, Elvis, etc. They played Loop De Loop - that might have been cool with a Ringo vocal. With Billy Preston playing, it could have sounded like something from the Ringo album.

The Quiet One, thxphotog and theMess like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Something like the Glyn John's version of the album that was bootlegged, which counted Paul and the likes of Lou Reed as fans (Paul praised it in the 1980 interview that was later released on vinyl).

Curiosity likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The production style and sound fits much better on Abbey than Let It Be.

Also, the stated ethos of Let It Be was "going back to the roots". "Octopus'" wouldn't have sounded as good stripped down.

theMess likes this.
  9. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Nope, it was co written with George Harrison, has some good guitars, decent storyline for adults and kids, catchy melody. What more do you want in a song like that? It's a good song composed in 15 minutes.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

I still respectfully disagree with you. ; ) LOL.

11. Lemon Curry

It's useful to compare Dylan's basement tapes sessions to the Beatles Get Back attempt. Contrast the wealth of very listenable and often timeless material that flowed from Dylan and the band in a similar setting with the aborted Twickenham sessions. The Beatles were all about rehearsing one song over and over, getting a good basic take, then extensively overdubbing. That was the process for their magic. The Get Back idea never had a chance.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Isn't that a bit like my wife telling me it's okay if I spend my days off with the bedroom door closed with a box of tissues, when I could be mowing the lawn before it rains instead...?

13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

<threadcrap>I literally die a little bit each time someone posts a new ‘what if’ Beatles thread.</threadcrap>

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Or maybe wasting your time posting on a SHF thread that is clearly a hypothetical situation?
    Show your wife this photo and explain that the Beatles forbade you to enter upon the grass! :D

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  15. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

Octopus's Garden for me, doesn't fit on Let it be.

16. Lemon Curry

Then there's the death suffered when someone points that out, followed by even more death when someone stereotypically makes a reply to that reply, launching a recursive thread crapping massacre...

theMess likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sure. It was me wasting my time. Not the entire hypothetical thread, and an easily-"persecuted" obsessive who took the time to post a huge photo, illustrating my point. :shrug:

18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Beatles' 'Let It Be' album deserved
    Abbey Road more than 'Abbey Road'

19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Octopus's Garden fits just fine on Abbey Road.

MPLRecords likes this.
  20. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I took Maxwell & Octopus off of a CD-R version of Abbey Road, & replaced them with the Come & Get It demo & Old Brown Shoe. A much better listen for me. I'm sure a less polished version of Octopus could have fit on the LIB album, pretty much anything fits on there.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

"Octopus's Garden" was in the movie and not on the soundtrack album, though. It was Ringo's only opportunity to present himself on the soundtrack album. Ringo could have found another song to do for Abbey Road.

22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

A few members have spoken about Abbey Road inner groove distortion.

Attention vinyl people - what are some challenging inner-groove album sides?

MMF-5 to SL-1200SE - Downgrade?

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Kind of odd that Ringo sang so little during the Get Back sessions. Just the short, unfinished Taking A Trip to Carolina and Picasso... and of course the workup on Octopus's Garden. At this late hour, I can't even recall him singing even one oldie during the 3 weeks? He just bashed away, take after bloody take. Ron

theMess likes this.
  24. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Well said brother. Well said.:cheers:

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Octopuses Garden is ok. Yellow Submarine is the song that deserved to disappear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.