Did The Beatles' 'Let it Be' Album Deserve "Octopus's Garden" More Than 'Abbey Road'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

But there was nothing to use. A 15 minute workup, that's it. Not even a proper rehearsal. The lyrics weren't close to being finished and George was expanding on Ringo's three chords... trying to explain why certain chords had to lead back into the major key. Ringo had NO idea what an A minor was.... you can see the look on his face when George starts playing it. Not to mention it wasn't captured on multi-track... just the Nagra mono film track. The film also captures them playing Suzy Parker (i.e. Suzy's Parlour), Adagio For Strings (Variation), Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Piano Duet and Don't Let Me Down. None of these songs are on the album. And Maggie Mae IS on the album, yet wasn't seen nor heard in the film.

There was no harvesting it for Abbey Road either. It was recorded FOR the next album. I know our own @slane mentioned that Lewisohn has said recently that "Garden", Something and I Want You were recorded to "finish up" the Get Back album, but I disagree. Well, sort of. I Want You may well have been recorded for that reason since it was recorded just 3 weeks after the last session. But Octopus's Garden, Something and Oh Darling were all recorded AFTER they did the Ballad Of John & Yoko/Old Brown Shoe single. In fact, that single was the impetus to get back (no pun intended) to some serious recording. Between 14 April and 6 May they recorded seven tracks and added vocals to You Know My Name. So, it's fairly obvious they didn't record these songs to "finish" up Get Back. Ron

marklamb, Mike D'Aversa and theMess like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Everything’s fine where it currently resides. Their decisions were perfect.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I cannot imagine any Beatles album revised...

Lemon Curry likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I sense sarcasm ...

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

none...: ) serious as stated.

6. helter

helter Forum Resident

Yes but Jane Asher wasn’t so lucky!

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

How about naked? ... ;)

[​IMG]

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

True.
    But once Paul settled in with Linda in mid to late 1968, he was 100% honest with her.

BellaLuna and theMess like this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

They recorded "I Me Mine" in 1970, so no.

10. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Probably the worst thread ever.

clayton, helter and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Just like Charles Robert had been since his 64' marriage to Shirley Ann Shepherd.

12. helter

helter Forum Resident

This is what happens when you’ve had thousands of Beatle threads .......what hasn’t been covered ?

13. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Interesting that this thread topic come up, as I have been reading "Get Back" Unauthorized Chronicle Of The Beatles Let It Be Disaster.
    Ringo introduces the song fairly early in the proceedings, but I personally think it was put on the back burner in context of what the "Let it Be" or "Get Back" project was originally intended to be, if anyone truly knew what that was.

The Beatles did seem to be deeply into the phase of "what now?" musically at the time, so I doubt any Ringo composition was high on any list of priorities.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

He'd be represented by the drum solo.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Likely a true statement regardless of which album was being worked on from 1963 through the present. :D

moops likes this.
  16. Michael

17. Michael

not true..Beatles threads are immune...; )

18. All Down The Line

Some merely Octopi space.

19. Michael

in conjunction with leaping across the universe in rose colored ocean of dreams...

20. All Down The Line

In Newspaper Tardis'?

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

to a time where scott farcus is playing crueler behind the cloud of insignificance...

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I believe "beatles album" was stated!

23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This thread has been interesting at times, but we seem to fall into Ringo bashing so easily.

I remember when I first heard Abbey Road... it was on a pirated 8-track tape :)

What struck me was the many moods of the album. Gritty, serious, hopeful, dreamy.. and a little funny, too. That came of course from our fav side 1 songs to bash.

I don't play side 1 all that often today, cuz I think side 2 is brilliant and it's what I'm craving when I pull this one off the shelf. But back in the beginning, I loved Octopus' Garden. And I'll bet most folks who buy this album - and many do every year - love the track too.

I'm glad it's there, and glad they didn't have Ringo sing it on the rooftop for Let It Be.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Love it too, but I would also like to have seen that

S. P. Honeybunch and Lemon Curry like this.
  25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I agree. It does sound a little too 'harsh' for the relatively mellow Abbey Road but would have been one of the highlights of Let It Be for sure.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.